Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Full Respray: Input on Colour choice, examples, painting tips and progress -Pic Heavy

Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

I think I need more coats of candy I only did 4 coats on all samples

Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I know that's a test piece, but I hope your spraying environment is cleaner than that. might be a bit heavy on the coats, I see sagging and orange peel.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
The Orange peek is heavy I sprayed some primer to thick and didn't bother to sand it flat and just started spraying I just wanted to see the color I HATE orange peel

Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
What grit did you use to sand the car with? Put some tape on edges like of the moldings and headlights so you won't scratch them

Looks like your sanding dry
I'm going over the whole car with 180 right now. Seems fine and I was recommended by a body shop and paint supply shop to do 180 before primer (then 500 over primer and 1500-2500 over clear if needed).

And yes, dry sanding right now. At that point in the picture I hadn't removed all the trims yet. Just removed everything else this morning except for sideskirts and windshield trim.

Galaxy grey
Apple red to the left brandy to the right

That's the color I like the most
I'm going to try it with a black metallic to make it a bit darker or more coats of brandy
The brandy over galaxy grey looks good there. I think I prefer it over gold though, like the gamma gold you have just with another coat of brandywine. Most people go with 4 coats but like you say, I think one more would deepen/darken the red just about right.

I'm interested to see it over the metallic black. Most I've seen over black comes out cherry/slightly purple but I wonder if a 5th coat of brandy will make it more red/less purple. So far I'm thinking more towards a metallic gold. I could use the same gold on my wheels too...

Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Are you going to spray 2k primer?

I think I should of done more coats of brandy on the gamma gold
I just need need to buy some black with heavy metallic or up try to mix some galaxy grey with solid black base

And yeah mines came out some what purple
I sprayed it brandy over black

Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Yeah I'm using 2k primer surfacer. I was going to go over the entire car with 2-3 coats but I've been recommended to just prime the parts I've done work on/bondo/filler. That would save a good chunk of time and primer. What would you recommend?

The paint shop told me black with heavy metallic will come out dark grey, sort of charcoal colour.

I know for sure the black would be too dark/purple. The silvers seem to bright but galaxy grey could be what I'm looking for, maybe with 5 coats of brandy. Or 5 over gold.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 AM
In my experience when I painted my car I had like 3 different colors from the parts I replaced,the original paint, and the primer it took a while yo cover it with the base coat. This time im just going to buy a quart of sealer to leave it one even coat and "stick" better

It took me 3 coats to cover my sample piece over grey primer it took 2 actually but I did an extra one

I am going to spray more brandy over it tomorrow

Old 05-17-2017, 11:50 AM
In my experience when I painted my car I had like 3 different colors from the parts I replaced,the original paint, and the primer it took a while yo cover it with the base coat. This time im just going to buy a quart of sealer to leave it one even coat and "stick" better

It took me 3 coats to cover my sample piece over grey primer it took 2 actually but I did an extra one

I shouldn't have too much a problem I guess as my car will have silver from the old paint or primer. Do you think 2 quarts of base coat is enough to cover the whole car? That should give me a full gallon once reduced 1:1 which should give 4/5 coats? (And I would only need 2-3 coats I think).

Patiently waiting to see how an extra coat of brandy comes out

Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 PM

For reference, I messaged this guy and asked him about his paint. It is 6 (six) coats of Brandy wine over Galaxy grey.

more pics: http://www.pictaram.com/user/j.zerecero/4251892947

Also the Mercedez that we both like the colour of can be seen here:
http://www.lowrider.com/rides/cars/2...shades-candy/#

According to that article it is black base then red pearl then Brandywine.

This is Brandy over Zenith gold

5 coats of Brandy over Orion Silver

and this is a brandy over black base with silver flakes

Last edited by BradMD_96; 05-17-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:59 AM
That's what I'm using as a base for sure hok galaxy grey
And 6 -7 coats of brwnfy
But on the 5th coat I'm going to spray some red flakes and a coat of brandy on top
Maybe the last coat I'll spray ghost red pearl

Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
I think I cut 1/2 inch but my case was a little odd....
The driver side rear of my car was 1/2-3/4 inch lower than the passenger side rear. It was this way with the OEM springs and I thought maybe one was broken so it would level out once I put the S-Techs in. It didn't..... So I cut the passenger side spring mount by 1/2 inch and then securely attached that 1/2 inch slice onto the driver to sort of even out the ride height in the rear - and it worked.

So I'm not sure exactly which side is the abnormal side. But I would guess the pass side is okay which would mean 1/2 inch off the spring mount to get good height. Just measure what the gap you want to reduce. If it measures 3/4 inch then cut maybe 1/2 inch off the mount and see how it settles. You can always trim more in a second cut but you can't undo trimming too much!

I read up some threads and heard the driver side normally sags the G, common with other cars too. You never really notice with OEM springs but once you get tight fender gaps a 1/2 inch becomes really noticeable. I'm thinking maybe worn bushes or at worst a bent ARB. I might disconnect the ARB and see how it settles. No big deal right now and I may even just move on to some coilovers as I do want to be lower.

Okay, so pull towards the inside of the car, got it.
I guess there's a lip which needs to be pulled inwards before I can lift upward?
yup. I'm a little over 1/8" lower on the driver's side.....it drives me nuts but I asked the wife to see if she saw the difference and she thinks I'm insane lmao. I guess I'll deal with it...not worth the work to fix 1/8"

Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I know that's a test piece, but I hope your spraying environment is cleaner than that. might be a bit heavy on the coats, I see sagging and orange peel.

That's my black tahoe no orange peel

Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
Yeah I'm using 2k primer surfacer. I was going to go over the entire car with 2-3 coats but I've been recommended to just prime the parts I've done work on/bondo/filler. That would save a good chunk of time and primer. What would you recommend?

The paint shop told me black with heavy metallic will come out dark grey, sort of charcoal colour.

I know for sure the black would be too dark/purple. The silvers seem to bright but galaxy grey could be what I'm looking for, maybe with 5 coats of brandy. Or 5 over gold.

A better picture in the sun and shade

Old 05-20-2017, 12:04 AM

A better picture in the sun and shade
Over black or grey comes out too dark/purple/cherry for me. I saw a car with brandy over "nova orange" which looked more like I want. I'm going to just go ahead and get 3 quarts of brandywine like you suggested. That should be enough for me to paint the entire car/jams and have some extra and also enough to trial with in the beginning. Going to try and get a strip with a few different shades of gold and experiment when the brandywine arrives.

But I think the colour will come out pretty similar whether it be over silver or gold. At that point it'll be the number of coats which really give the dark blood red I'm looking for.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Got the car primed and the plastics/bumpers/trims almost ready for priming too

I'm starting to reconsider the candy paint. I like the dark red they produce in low light but I've realised I don't really like the brighter shades they change to under the sun. I actually prefer one shade of dark metallic red. I know the shade will change a little in the light with the metallics, but I prefer this over a the orange/red/dark red that comes with the candy paints. Not dead set as yet, but definitely looking more at two stage paints.

As an example, it was pictures like this which drew me to the candy paints. I love this shade of red, pretty much exactly what I like. But I would want my car to look this way all the time, not only in the shade or something.

Maybe something like this but with less brown/rust colour

Really just looking for a dark metallic red that has no orange/purple/rust/brown in it. But if I have to have a certain hue there (for darkening of the red) purple is probably the direction I'd prefer.

Jet washing what paint would come off......

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.