Notices

Driver seat won't recline forward

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Driver seat won't recline forward

I'm having an issue with my seat not being able to recline forward. Everything else works perfect , forward,backward,up,down and even recline back but when I try to move the back of my seat forward its just stuck. I can move it back but it's kind of in an uncomfortable position and won't let me get my upper body closer to the wheel.
Any fixes?

Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Arrow

Have the same problem with passenger side. Friend of mine is a Infiniti Tech, and was able to bypass the seat switch and move the back forward to a normal position. He told me the switch is bad, and left it unplugged so it wouldn't get moved back again by accident. Bad thing is, Infiniti doesn't offer the switch separate from the seat bottom assembly on the passenger side (not sure on the driver side). That is around 800$ new! I've been looking online for a black switch separate from the bottom, the are easy to replace if you can find one. Good luck Bro!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
wiggle and fool around with the plugs. my elevation switch does the same. set it and leave it.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
MIne is a little sluggish going forward on the driver seat. If you are leaning your back on the seat and try to move it forward, it will not go. So I suggest moving the back seat while you are not leaning back on it, and you can also assist it by hand.

If that doesn't help, then your issue may be something else.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 PM
Yea this has become a real pain the in ***. I looked around for some fixes and saw some people were putting WD40 around the button but that didn't work for me.

Also, coincidently my passenger side completely doesn't work now. It moves back and forth fine just like my driver but if they want to recline the back support part it doesn't work at all. So now my passenger is forced to ride an uncomfortable ride leaning too far back.

Originally Posted by JKL1031
wiggle and fool around with the plugs. my elevation switch does the same. set it and leave it.
Ill try this out.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kickn - Don't know what year your car is, but for the 03-07 gen, seat recline motor and fuses are a VERY common thing to go out. I've actually been driving around with both mine out (driver and passenger) for 50k+ miles (i'm at 168k now).

It could be connection, fuse, motor... the dealer costs for these items can range from $600 (what I was quoted yesterday for my driver side motor fuse issue) to $3k+ (my passenger side quote)! Maintenance advisor told me to just not do it, lol.

My recommendation... if it turns out to be more than the switch, and you plan on keeping the car (mine is a lovable "beater" for work commuting and daily driving), then go for some aftermarket seats. That's what I'm looking into.

The following users liked this post:
claytonwholmes (10-26-2017)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same problem. Seat reclines back but wouldn't come back up. Had to unzip back of the seat to get access to the connector for the recline motor. Made up some jumper wired to reverse the "up" and "down" wires. Then the "recline back" switch would bring the seat back up. Got it into the "ok-for-now" postion and pulled out the jumper wires and left the recline motor connect unpluged so no one would send the seat back down without the pain-in-the-a$$ to get the seat back up.
There are several posts and YouTubes on getting in and fixing the seat switches. I thought I'd give it a try. I won't recount what a tedious operation that was, with dubious results. When I opened the switches, the contacts were perfectly clean and shiny. I couldn't get them any cleaner.
I then figured that some less-engineered version of Nissan would have the same switch internals. Base on the pictures of the part, I bought a Nissan part #87066-CD001.

The following 2 users liked this post by JimG35:
ErikNYC (05-02-2018), lukeser (06-04-2016)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
The part is for 350Z drivers seat.

I opened it up and found it is a little "different".

ErikNYC (05-02-2018), lukeser (06-04-2016)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
You can purchase the driver's seat controls separately from Infiniti. If you can apply 12V directly to the recline motor an it works, then you can pretty much assume the switch is bad.

I had to replace the passenger switch on mine when it did the exact same as the issue you're describing (recline back, but not tilt back forward). Since for some dumb reason Infiniti doesn't sell the switch separately for the passenger side, I had to get a used one from a part-out.

I think there's a DIY thread about cleaning that switch out with WD40 in an attempt to salvage it before buying a new part. You can try that. Otherwise locate a used part, or a new one from Infiniti.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM
The 350Z switch pigtail is too short to reach the G35 switch connector under the seat so I butt-spliced the 350Z switch to the G35 wires.
This is the fun part...
The wire color sequence the 350Z switch is a mirror image of the G35 switch. So I did the obvious, I butt spliced the 350Z switch to the G35 harness as if the color sequence was not backwards.
Long story short: Put it all back together and IT WORKED (with one minor screw up). The front toggle moves the seat front and back BUT push the switch forward and the seat goes back, toggle back and seat goes forward. Same 'backwards' toggle throws for the backrest recline.
The fix is to reverse how I now have the forward & back signal wires connected.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Here's what the two circuit boards look like.

G35fromPA (08-13-2015), Urbanengineer (07-22-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
So looking at the old one off your G35, it almost looks like the solder over heated and made a short on the circuit board. I could be wrong, but the new one definitely has better soldering (probably because it's new).

Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Solder on CB could be bad but I poked them all and they 'look' ok.
If I had skill and a good soldering iron maybe I should have reheated each solder point before all the NS to replace.

There are many who think it's solder gone wrong that causes failure on 2rd *center"brake light. (Mine went bad, but I didn't try reheating solder connections.)

Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I thought I would update this thread.
My drivers side incline suddenly decided to work a few months back. So that was great but then my passenger also decided to intermittently stop working. Now it's completely reclined and stuck. I did the YouTube diy contact clean and it did nothing. It still doesn't work.
I am really confused on what I should do considering I can't even drive around a passenger anymore without them being extremely uncomfortable.
Any ideas?

Edit: I cleaned it up a second time and tried out some electrical cleaner and after some messing around it works perfectly now.

Last edited by Kicknshift; 09-12-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 PM
If the seat switch stops working, it's the seat switch. No way WD-40 will get into or even fix the problem.
You have to either replace the switch or get into it and "fix" it. Some have said to take it apart, clean the contacts and put it bact together. I tried this and I lucked out one one but failed miserably on the second. The teeny springs got bent on the numerous attemps to 'just snap it back together'.

The best I can recommenst is get an OEM Maxima or Altama seat switch and pull out the circuit board with the crazy ball bearing & spring switches and fit into the G35 seat switch assembly.
(see my earlier post w/ pix)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driver seat won't recline forward