Notices

Sunroof drains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
There's a giant trim piece that goes up the windshield and over the door. That's the part he's saying you need to remove and inspect. There's a bunch of rubber seals under there where the door window bumps against. It's possible that seal isn't installed properly or is damaged.
ok I pulled of the a-pillar trim and there are several ridges in the trim (for rigidity I guess) that had like a few tablespoons of water in there...hence why it was continuing to drip for days after the rain only while driving. Now I tried the hose over the car and the water is dripping...more like pouring from where the headliner meets the a-pillar interior trim.

now lost180...ur saying that the exterior trim that goes over the door....where the edge of the glass meets the roofline...is where I need to check?? How would u remove that piece?? I needed to shift the same left side trim as well as it touches the glass slightly as the door closes.

this piece??

Last edited by CaymanSkyline; 01-15-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
According to that picture, there's 3 screws holding it. When my windshield was replaced, the guy was able to move the rubber around to get a screw driver in there.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by CaymanSkyline
I would suggest removing the headliner so you can pin point exactly where its leaking in.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 G35 DE coupe
Originally Posted by CaymanSkyline
ok I pulled of the a-pillar trim and there are several ridges in the trim (for rigidity I guess) that had like a few tablespoons of water in there...hence why it was continuing to drip for days after the rain only while driving. Now I tried the hose over the car and the water is dripping...more like pouring from where the headliner meets the a-pillar interior trim.

now lost180...ur saying that the exterior trim that goes over the door....where the edge of the glass meets the roofline...is where I need to check?? How would u remove that piece?? I needed to shift the same left side trim as well as it touches the glass slightly as the door closes.

this piece??
There are several screws that you access behind the weather seal around the window and those clips in the picture are 3 of several snap clips. I highly advise watching a video of how to remove this piece. It is quite fragile and easily broken. Mine had extensive damage that I cleaned and epoxied back together where it was damaged from removal by a previous owner. Those clips and the plastic screw anchors all have rubber gaskets that could potentially fail and leak

Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
So I've managed to pin point the leak. Its leaking from a section of the windshield, like right over the rear-view mirror. I poured water from the hose at a low volume over sections of the windshield starting from the A-Pillar....working across the top using my hand to block the water to located exactly where it starts to drip in the car.

Now..how easy is it to repair a leaky windshield?....does it need to be removed completely or just repaired in place? take it to a shop or DIY?

Seems like all i would have to do is pull the strip that goes across the top of the windshield, clean the crevice out and run few beads of urethane in there.

Thanks to all who have commented previously.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
My guess is the proper way is to remove it and reseal. It sure would be a shame if a piece of ice came flying off a car and cracked your windshield right about now.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
My guess is the proper way is to remove it and reseal. It sure would be a shame if a piece of ice came flying off a car and cracked your windshield right about now.
Lmao..absolutely no chance of that happening amigo....87 degrees in the shade right now.....#islandlife....its still raining cats and dogs tho..but thanks..i might just try to "patch it" by doing the whole top section of the windshield...if it leaks after that....then I'll have no choice but to go the full removal and re-seal route.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.