The M-Spot For General discussion of the M35/M45

Ipod Hook up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod Hook up

I have an 06 M35 and wanted to hook up my ipod. I dont want the one that plays thru the radio (I have one they suck!) and I know I can hook it up to the rca's in the back but is there a way to hook it up to the nav and control it thru there. some kind of plug and play hook up? How do you guys hook your ipod's up?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM
nevermind I found what I was looking for

Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Ipod hook up

Where did you find the ipod integration thru the nav? I've been searching and have not found it.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 AM
its on ebay. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Here's the best one I've seen. You have to have the Radio/SAT button and you will lose the xm/sirus satellite feature. It will charge ipod and display text on the screen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...3296QQtcZphoto

Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 PM
i would be down to get this, anyone in L.A. know how to install this?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by sole cal
i would be down to get this, anyone in L.A. know how to install this?
Have you tried F1? Do you want me to call them for you?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by jmendoza7
Have you tried F1? Do you want me to call them for you?
i think ill just call them, unless u get a hookup or something . i want to know how much it should cost though, arbysnight over at FA said its like a 30min job, so im guessing less than 50. ill try calling places though, unless u get a hookup at f1

anyways thanks bro good looking out

Old 10-10-2008, 02:04 AM
i think ill just call them, unless u get a hookup or something . i want to know how much it should cost though, arbysnight over at FA said its like a 30min job, so im guessing less than 50. ill try calling places though, unless u get a hookup at f1

anyways thanks bro good looking out
I do. I will call him tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by jmendoza7
I do. I will call him tomorrow.
aite thanks a lottt bro, i really want to see your car in person one day also

Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 AM
aite thanks a lottt bro, i really want to see your car in person one day also
yeah, just let me know. Whenever you have time.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
bumps
still looking for an installer

Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 AM
I contacted Axxess they said it was not compatible with the M35.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by jluna
Here is a post from someone that has installed this in an M35.

I got an iPod integration kit from a friend for Christmas. I had the opportunity to install it yesterday and play with it for a bit. So far, so very good.

The adapter is called Axxess, made by Metra Electronics. The model number is XIA-IO1. My friend got me mine off eBay from Integration Solutions. (No, I don't know any of these people.) The auction number for my adapter was 150157783448. It included the interface box, the cable to connect it to the stereo, the cable to connect to the iPod, and an Aux input cable that allows connection of anything with RCA outputs. I did not install the Aux input so I don't know how it works.

I have three iPods, and the unit works identically with all of them:

This is what it does do.
1. It starts and stops the iPod when you start/stop the car, when you turn the stereo on/off, and when you change modes (from CD to SAT, for example).
2. It powers and charges your iPod.
3. You can browse (on your car's LCD) thru your playlists, artists, albums, and genres. There is an interruption to the song that is playing with each button press, however.
4. The car displays song and artist, and sometimes the playlist, album, or genre depending on how you got to the song that is currently playing.
5. You control the iPod using buttons on the dash and steering wheel.
6. The sound has no hiss, hum, buzz or anything bad at all. If anything the volume may be a little low, but still no problems at higher volumes.
7. You can also control the music using the iPod. To do this, you need to enter iPodCTL mode by unplugging the iPod while the car is on. Once you plug it back in, you're in control of the music using the iPod's interface. To get it back into car control, however, requires a very specific sequence of events that include turning the car off, which is a bummer. This sequence is described below.

What is doesn't do

1. You have to give up your satellite radio. It pretends to be XM and must be plugged into the input on the back of the radio in lieu of any satellite radio you may have. (I had Sirius.)
2. There is no fancy UI on the car's display. As shown below, the text is best seen on the status screens. You also get text on the radio page and on the audio text subscreen off the radio page. Nonetheless, the text it gives is adequate to browse the iPod.
3. The tune flipper on the steering wheel could work better. To get the flipper to change songs, you have to hold it until you get a small beep from the center console. If you just hit it once, nothing happens. If you hit it twice (or more) in rapid succession the unit does unpredictable things like switching to new playlists or a different song.
4. You can only search one level deep. That is, if you want to play a playlist, album, artist, or genre from the top of the list then you're all set. If you know you want YMCA from the Village People, you'll have to select Artist: Village People (which will immediately start playing the first Village People song) and then track forward until you come across the song. [I really hope you don't have that many Village People songs! ]

Installation
Accessing the back of the radio in our cars is pretty easy, not requiring any physically challenging dashboard contortions. The unit is mostly plug-n-play, but you do have to tap into 12v, ACC12v, and GND. You'll also have to drill a hole into your glovebox to get the cable out.

All told, the install took me about 1.5 hrs. I could do it again in about 30 minutes, so I expect Circuit Silly or the like could install it for you without a huge expense. Or you can do it yourself. If you own a DMM (or even know what a DMM is), then you probably have the technical acuity to accomplish this.

The most confusing part of the setup was getting the radio presets to correctly match what the unit is expecting. This is very unclear in the included instructions. Basically, you have to set the following:
Preset A1=XM4
Preset A2=XM5
Preset A3=XM6
Preset A4=XM7
Once you've done that, you need to unplug the iPod, turn the car off, turn the car on, and plug in the iPod... in that order. (This is also the same sequence of events you must follow if you find yourself wishing to exit iPodCTL mode.)

Operation
1. Once programmed as shown above, you use the car to control the iPod:
  • 1 - Browse up
  • 2 - Enter/exit control menus
  • 3 - Select
  • 4 - Browse down
  • Tune **** - Move forward/backward thru the song list
  • Steering wheel flipper - Move forward/backward thru the song list. This only works if you hold the flipper until it beeps, so you're better off using the Tune ****.
  • <--Seek Track--> - These buttons move you thru the playlists immediately (as opposed to using the 1234 keys to browse). Depending on how you have your music organized this may be useful; for me it's a pair of buttons to avoid.
  • Play/pause is controlled any number of ways. Turn the car off, turn the stereo off, change to a different stereo mode, change to a regular radio station and the iPod will pause.
2. Entering the control menus by pressing 2 looks like this on the status screen. You use the 1 & 4 keys to tab thru the four options: playlist, artist, album, and genre:

3. Once you have the one you want on the screen, you hit 3 to select it. The example below shows me browsing thru some of my playlists. Note that I have named them (in iTunes) to have the 1. 2. 3. in front of them.

Or on the radio screen:

Or on the Audio Text screen:

4. As soon as you hit 3 (Select) the first song in that category (here, playlist: Purchased) will start playing. Here are the various screens while the song is playing:

Long story short, this is a complete iPod integration that gives decent iPod control and CD quality sound. Coming from using a Belkin adapter into my Aux inputs on the back of the armrest, I'm very happy.

PS - Thanks Simon!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by jluna
axxess is compatible.

i want to get the pac aai-nis2. On some sites they say its not compatible either but it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod Hook up