The M-Spot For General discussion of the M35/M45

Question About My 2007 M35 Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About My 2007 M35 Headlight Lens

Hey everyone! It's been ages since I've made a post on this forum. My 2007 M35, that I purchased new in Oct of 2006, recently had her 100k maintenence and still cruises like she's brand new.

However, her cosmetics are starting to show a little wear. Here's a pic of my drivers' side headlight;

Name:  M35Headlight_zpsd8edc925.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  122.1 KB

The lens cover has developed a stain that resembles what clear coat would look like when it goes away on paint. The passenger side is starting to do the same thing. I would have to sell a kidney to replace both of them.

My question is, has anyone tried a "proven" method that would clear this up without having to replace them?

I would prefer not to hear creative suggestions, but more of proven ones.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx!

Old 10-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
What you are seeing there is the actual polycarbonate coating(u.v. clearcoat) starting to flake off as it would on a painted surface. You can try and sand them and polish out, but odds are either getting them re-cleared or replace them eventually. Hope this helps brother.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by infinitidude
What you are seeing there is the actual polycarbonate coating(u.v. clearcoat) starting to flake off as it would on a painted surface. You can try and sand them and polish out, but odds are either getting them re-cleared or replace them eventually. Hope this helps brother.
Thanks Jason for the advice. That would something that I wouldn't attempt on my own. I've heard detail guys talk about wet/dry sanding, etc to restore the lens, but to me, that would be like drying your face with sandpaper right after you just washed it. I guess I'll have to check for detailers in my area.

My understanding is that you cannot replace just the lens, as it is part of the entire headlight assembly unit. As a "Plan B," I guess I could keep checking Ebay replacement sets.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to a body shop, They will sand it down then throw a clear coat on it. Comes out brand new. Did that with my old G35 and my cousins S2000.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooser
that would be like drying your face with sandpaper right after you just washed it. I guess I'll have to check for detailers in my area.
I agree with you on how it sounds, but it's not that bad. I've wet sanded my lights, in addition to using a product called "PlastX" that is a minor abrasive compound used to clear up hazy headlights.

With wet sanding, you are starting with very fine grit sandpaper. 1500 or even 2000. Just keep it wet and rub and it actually works. you do NOT want to use the lower grit papers like 150, 300, 600, etc as that's actual sandpaper that will scratch the hell out of it. Watch a couple youtube videos on wetsanding to get an idea of the process and how little damage it actually does.

Or try a bottle of PlastX available at your local autozone. Basically apply it like wax and polish the headlight lens, and then use a clotch to remove the haze. Follow up with a coat of wax.

You are removing the protective coating here, but given the alternative, it's better than leaving them hazy. I'd recommend trying to do it yourself because chances are the haze will reappear over time.

I do this process to my G35's headlights every few months. Only alternative is buy new lights but OEM headlights are $$$. Spending 10 mins every 3-4 months is cheaper.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
it's pretty easy to get it cleared..

the hard part is keeping it clear.

just waxing it will last literally a month or two.. especially if you park outside.
I've tried Blue Magic headlight sealer.. it lasts for 6-12months, but any harsh chemical will kill it and make it hazy again.

I would recommend going to Sam's Club and use their headlight restorer service for $30.. it comes with a 5 year warranty.. $30 might sounds like a lot, but it's actually REALLY cheap for the time they spend on your headlight. They use UV light to seal the coating.

You can spend $25's on sanding/polish/sealer by doing it yourself to have it comeback within months if you want.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Thank you to everyone that has replied! I sincerely appreciate the help/advice!

This being a new territory for me, I will have to weigh my options. Again, this is something that I wouldn't do on my own. I would gladly spend the $$$ to a service shop if I knew the outcome would be as good as new.

Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Duriisimo
Go to a body shop, They will sand it down then throw a clear coat on it. Comes out brand new. Did that with my old G35 and my cousins S2000.
How did that go, and what did it set you back in the way of $$$, if you don't mind me asking?

Was that something that could be done "while you wait" or did you have to leave the car for 1 or more days?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooser
How did that go, and what did it set you back in the way of $$$, if you don't mind me asking?

Was that something that could be done "while you wait" or did you have to leave the car for 1 or more days?
I dont think it was even $50 for both. Sit and wait. Like I said came out great.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Thank you Duriisimo!

Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 PM
I didn't realize how old my last post was until now. Just to follow up, I had both headlight lens cleaned up by a local body shop for a total cost of $20. Yes, that is $10 each! The service took just inside of an hour before the car was returned to me. I honestly do not know how that shop made any money on my job. Both came out looking as good as new and they warrant the work for 1 year. I had the work done in early '16 and I'm still shaking my head on how well they turned out and how much it cost. Sorry for not having a picture available.

The old M is turning 10 this year and still looks great and is still going strong!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Good deal. As always...