My G35 is a disgrace. Now I'm changing that.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G35 is a disgrace. Now I'm changing that.

Let me start with a little backstory. I got this 04 OB towards the start of college, and it was really clean. Needless to say I loved it.

Over the past few years, its gone downhill. Tint ticket resulted in no tint (VA has bs tint laws), a drunk roommate ripped the right side door handle off, its been backed into twice recently, etc. Check out the damage and dirt in the pics. It really doesnt do it justice how dirty it is.

The reason I made this thread is because I would love any input on how to right these wrongs. I'm done with school, have a job, and ready to finally do it (and admit my G sucks).
Before I do anything, the body damage is getting fixed and the whole thing is getting painted this month (I don't think this black paint can be salvaged/I'm feeling some sort of white). This might also consist of an aftermarket front and or rear bumper/diffuser. The front one is already pretty damaged.

For now, the plan is paint it white, CF diffuser (read good things about IonicDynamics), OEM 19s (plastidip?), fix/paint headlights, re-tint everything, tint tails, clear corners, black roof, possibly a new front bumper and grill. Then onto the drop and engine mods.

Input? Feedback? Suggestions? I'll make this a progress thread and hopefully this will be a great transformation.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
id start with rims....rims YOU like...it would set up for whatever kind of look u wanna do with the car...thats just me

Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by J0hnblaze
id start with rims....rims YOU like...it would set up for whatever kind of look u wanna do with the car...thats just me
i agree, i actually like the look of matte black OEM 19s on a white car. plus I'd rather spend 1,000 (or less) on wheels and tires and another 1,000 on other stuff than 2,000+ on just wheels.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
needs a drop, rims, clear corners, painted grill. and a wax/buff.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^wut he said. I love my OEM 19's, people try to get me to trade them all the time, even Honda guys (wtf?)! Personally, I think plasti-dipping those beauties is blasphemy, but to each their own.

On a side note, painting could be pretty costly, I know my Black Obsidian looks pretty faded too when it gets dirty, try washing and a professional wax and see how it looks before you drop some serious coin on a paint job.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
Well the front bumper definitely needs new paint as well as the messed up fender. But if you are looking to a full color change it's going to be relatively costly (think 3k+). If you have the extra cash and are willing to spend it I say more power to ya. Check out some of the custom flat white setups, pretty sick imo. But yeah pick up some 19s if you get a bumper that isn't super big n low else it's gunna look too small.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by .cakestar
Well the front bumper definitely needs new paint as well as the messed up fender. But if you are looking to a full color change it's going to be relatively costly (think 3k+). If you have the extra cash and are willing to spend it I say more power to ya. Check out some of the custom flat white setups, pretty sick imo. But yeah pick up some 19s if you get a bumper that isn't super big n low else it's gunna look too small.
yea, those will have to be painted, and the person who hit the front end's insurance will cover the cost, and maybe go towards a totally new job. im still questioning whether i could justify the cost of a total paint job, but i do love those flat whites too. that was my original inspiration.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote is to stick with your original plan:

Originally Posted by ssarfann
For now, the plan is paint it white, CF diffuser (read good things about IonicDynamics), OEM 19s (plastidip?), fix/paint headlights, re-tint everything, tint tails, clear corners, black roof, possibly a new front bumper and grill. Then onto the drop and engine mods.
Do what you say right here...first, get a body shop to fix all that's wrong with it (using insurance money would be wise). and if the cost to fix everything is $500, then i'd say leave the color; but if it's $2,500 to fix everything, then you might as well pay another $500-$1500 to get the whole car repainted in that matte white you desire. Then along with the full car repainting, you can get the body shop to fix/paint your headlights and taillights, install any aftermarket body pieces, paint your grill, and paint your roof all as part of the total cost. Then you can work on the suspension, wheels, and bolt-ons.

But honestly, if you don't fix up the exterior of the car first, I think spending money on anything else would be pointless. What's the point of a really nice set of wheels, a nice drop, and a badass intake/exhaust if the entire exterior of the car is flawed? But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Get OEM 19's and have them painted gunmetal with a polished lip..It looks amazing

Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dean G
Get OEM 19's and have them painted gunmetal with a polished lip..It looks amazing
do you know of where i could find a pic of that?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
don't listen to that lol..there are no lips on oem rays(worth glossing), they do look good painted gold however on OB

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (07-07-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jae35
don't listen to that lol..there are no lips on oem rays(worth glossing), they do look good painted gold however on ob
^ +1

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You already have a OB coupe and that's a very nice color when kept clean and polished. Before you make a color change consider resale value, left OB you won't have issues but done flat white you couldn't give it away. Get the wheels powder coated black chrome, they'll look great forever. New OB paint with Nismo bumper, p/cd rims then you can bring whatever service your engine might need up to date....Gary

Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by ssarfann
do you know of where i could find a pic of that?
Check this thread out:

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...-gunmetal.html

Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
You already have a OB coupe and that's a very nice color when kept clean and polished. Before you make a color change consider resale value, left OB you won't have issues but done flat white you couldn't give it away. Get the wheels powder coated black chrome, they'll look great forever. New OB paint with Nismo bumper, p/cd rims then you can bring whatever service your engine might need up to date....Gary
Agree totally.. I have an 04 ob that needed some help after i parted it out.. put on all 06 parts on the exterior, put 35 series tires on the oem 19s, kept it slammed and got it detailed and im still getting people stopping me to check it out and get thumbs up.. lol I just wanna get a nismo front eventually..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My G35 is a disgrace. Now I'm changing that.