the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
it will get so much better. I have a flat 2.5" section in my exhaust behind the y pipe. the first y pipe had a downward angle that made the exhaust rub the M/W looking brace. I over did it on the clearance, and now the current y pipe is nowhere near it. I may slip a section of 75mm in there. .I've been lazy but I need to get under there and take care of it.

with the low 12s:1 af I know it has from when my wb worked.. I think it has at least 280whp in it..and that means another few mpg too

Last edited by EPiK; 02-03-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Dissapointing! My BMW friend just sold out and went to Porsche. I gotta admit, I really like his new car .

Old 02-04-2018, 01:39 AM
I was supposed to go drive a 01 Carrera 4 today but we were at the dyno too long. I might swing it that I can keep the G and drive them both

Old 02-04-2018, 01:43 AM

AWD 6mt. We'll see if it's as good as pix. I'll probably check it out later this week

Old 02-04-2018, 10:49 PM
just ordered my LSU4.9 sensor. should have it by Wednesday and if the weather is good I'll swap it out and fix that restriction in the exhaust ASAP.

I also found my color. not sure if its possible in DYC plastidip, but at this point if I do keep the car I'd be happy to paint it and realize the full completion of the GT35RS.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:40 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
What's with the cliffhanger? WHAT COLOR!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 AM
yeaaa.. like it would be that easy. I don't like jinxing my choices. I haven't even made up my mind yet if the G is staying day to day. But I will say that its a pretty demure oem color on a GT3RS...and its not fashion gray.

I do love driving the G, and it is a much better car than the POS Carrera 4 I drove yesterday, but I'm driving a Carrera 2 on Saturday that is a friends car, and I know the history on it.

Good thing is, if I buy his car then I can tweak, maintain and modify it affordably just like I did to make the G the GT35RS. And I can keep both, at least til someone comes to their senses and gives me what it's worth to take it from me., which is more than you'd think...especially when it's done.

Or I can sell the G, buy a newer more optioned pampered 911 and worry about the cost of changing anything on it, high cost maintenance..etc. Personally I say buy the car that has a real world education and you know it, rather than the higher priced pedigree. And most importantly, have fun.

I cant wait to tune on a 911 and have my choice which one to drive, the Carrera, or the wannabe.. (which is waaaay faster right now)

But once I get in the 911 and give it a full tune up it will be a bit more fair. And that is the fun part. The G project is almost done. Once I get the seats and paint, and maybe a real LSD with different FD.. its done. I can just drive it every other day and enjoy it, instead of always being under it doing something/fixing something/replacing something... its practically all new now. Like a new car, with an older well tuned powerplant. Done.

Sad part is, after all that work.. at the end of the day, the 911 will still be a 911 with its inherent value... and the GT35RS will still just be a custom painted, loud muffler Infiniti G35 with rims that my wife is embarrassed to drive. Good thing I don't build cars to appease any desires but my own. Sometimes other people like it too, and that's a cool feeling I guess...?

I could care less about the image of a Porsche, Infiniti, BMW, Lexus..etc. I de-badge most of my cars anyway. Its all about how the car makes you feel behind the wheel, actually driving it. That's what I can not wait for..I've waited long enough. The 996 is a terrific value as a daily driver/weekend mountains/track car. Its all about the turns maaann.

rambling bc I've been up for 30hrs now.. time to sleep but I'm razzed up about this car. :P

Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM
I got the new Innovate wideband in the mail yesterday. I need to borrow the UpRev interface cable from my buddy again since mine got smoked in a failed firmware update. Then I can go out and DL a few cruises and get this beast leaned out and making more, cleaner power. And maybe a flame map too.... for my son.. hehe

Old 02-08-2018, 11:36 AM

a few bumps and bruises the way I like em to start

don't think of it as turbo bumpers on an NA.. think of the slats as weight loss

I'm driving it Saturday. I have outpulled this car by several lengths when we were driving around mexico by ourselves.. but I didn't own it then. It will improve. Can't wait.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by EPiK
a few bumps and bruises the way I like em to start...

So true... if it doesn't have character then why buy it. Every ding, every dent, every scuff has a story around it.

Congrats on the new ride!

The following users liked this post:
EPiK (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
So true... if it doesn't have character then why buy it. Every ding, every dent, every scuff has a story around it.

Congrats on the new ride![/i]

Maybe new ride. I'm going to drive and inspect it Saturday to see if IMS was done when the LWFW and stage 3 clutch was installed by the PO.
If not I have to factor off about $1k in parts and the time to do it myself. Too much risk on M96 motors to not know. But very worth it as a driver once the fix is in.

These cars are getting downright cheap at the moment too.. but I'm sure that will change. Win win

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I can feel your excitement through the screen lol. I, too, didn't want to get rid of my G when I bought the GTO because I have so much time and money in the damn thing. So I did the next best thing, gave it to my girlfriend to replace her 232K mile POS 97 Nissan Hardbody. Now I can drive Amanda whenever I want and daily Peyton, the GTO is a much friendlier DD than I thought it would be.

The following users liked this post:
EPiK (02-08-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:20 AM

Well.. updates.. first the "Craigslist Coupe" strikes again. I bought a set of 18" Porsche 996 BBS lightweights for $250 yesterday. Then I left them there and they are being powdercoated wet gloss black. I can use these wheels on the GT35RS or on the Carrera, swap around the Enkei hollows that are on the G now, or I always have the C4S twists too, which are very heavy. That's not even counting the wheels that will be coming on the Carrera I actually end up buying.

Test drive fell thru.. he is balking at selling at what we agreed on. He really doesn't want to sell the car; I've sort of bullied him into it. But I have several other ones in my sights, they are each a few hundred miles away in Florida.

Anyway.. G stuff. I rebuilt the exhaust Friday.. Found a flange coming after the 2.5" midpipe that had less than 2.25" ID, and going into a smashed 2.25" pipe for about 16" and back into 2.5" to the end. Big holdback on power and revs in the high end, good for lowend torque, but ultimately not good. So now its a smooth 2.5" from the midpipe to the Borla muffler. I also mounted the Innovate WB bung at 1 o'clock to avoid condensation.

Power flows smoother, revs and acceleration on my butt dyno tells me that the powerband and torque curve has shifted higher in the band. Can't wait to overlay the full tuned map with the exhaust fix over the last 268/254 dyno runs and prove my hunch.

Got out on the roads tonight with a buddy and laid down several datalogs for Seymore4/UpRev to finally finish an actual etune for the car, and get off of this generic base map.

Headed back to the dyno probably next weekend for a power check..unless I'm flying to FL to road trip back my new to me 911

Stay Tuned

Yuck... the first midpipe was so mis-shaped that I had to dent that section to clear the M brace at the angle it was so I could drive the car.

Getting jiggy wit it

Last edited by EPiK; 02-11-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help

My g35 won't start but it cranks. I try having ob2 scanner reads code and it won't work.. And my dashboard shows some rpm and gas moves not seeing park light up.. And not seeing things... I did a project and replace new engine.. Everything back connected and won't turn up.. New battery spark plugs alternator used.. used starter..fuse are good checked all ...you think my ecm or ecu blow out... I need help.. And did all the work for my competleing to get it done... So I can get on the road

Old 02-11-2018, 02:52 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Do you have spark, do you have fuel pressure, is your NATS light on the dash solid red. Those are the steps, congrats on the hijack

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?