Opinions on Mods

Old 09-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Mods

What are mods worth buying, meaning I know one is wrapping your top of your car or buying a carbon fiber trunk or also buying coilovers, Just wanna know what you guys think will be a real good deal

Old 09-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Best mods are functionality meaning make sure you are keeping up with all the maintenance, replace all worn suspension components and keeping your engine healthy. The rest are all personal preference.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think it's important to address both the cars biggest strength and biggest weakness and tackle both. The car's biggest strength is obviously it's handling and balance, the weakest link of it's setup though are the springs and sway bars, a quality set of springs (or if you have the money and NEED the adjustability of coilovers) and sway bars really allow for the maximum amount of pressure to be exerted on the tires. Replace the rubber with something that suits your needs, if you live somewhere that gets snow and you know you're going to be running the same rubber in the winter then be realistic and get all seasons, if you have a second set of wheels for winter use then get summer/winter sets for both. Replacing suspension bushings that are prone to wear/failure with quality upgrade pieces returns great dividends.

The vehicle overall has really only one weakness compared to modern sports cars and that's the lack of engine output, fortunately you can bolt on ~40whp with some tasteful modifications and the vast majority of it comes from just a couple pieces, plenum spacer, mrev2 if rev-up motor, rev-up airbox if NOT already a rev-up, high flow cats (or test pipes), cat back exhaust, tune. If... and ONLY IF your motor has low miles and you are willing to spend the time/money to do the project right then forced induction can be had for less than the combined cost of all the N/A upgrades and will net significantly more HP. Personally I think folks should exhaust all N/A upgrades before adding FI because those things allow for even higher potential when added to a T/C or S/C.

Cosmetic improvements are important to some, non-essential to others, personally I place them equally as important as having a machine that runs correctly thus it's CRITICALLY important. Window tint, quality products to care for the interior/exterior, these are the things that makes people's heads swivel when you drive by. Other items that "dress up" the exterior aren't really my thing though, bolting on a couple hundred "phantom horsepower" can be cool if done in a tasteful manner but I grew out of the phase of adding PHP to my car a while back so...

As the previous poster mentioned, ensuring your vehicle is already in top shape is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. It drives me insane when people spend money on performance upgrades instead of doing essential things like replacing a wheel bearing or brakes...

Don't be afraid to make the vehicle the one that YOU want, but do quality work for everything.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:22 PM
I appreciate it man, really do and I understand what your saying. I have 62 thousands miles, if I do say so myself that’s pretty good.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:22 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah it's at the high end of what I would consider "safe for forced induction" but if you have a good service history and it passes a compression check with flying colors then I personally wouldn't lose sleep over going FI. The reason people throw out this magical number of 60k is anything past that you end up with a short life expectancy of the motor before needing a rebuild. Pushing stock internals hard like that usually requires a rebuild by about the 120k mark. Obviously some folks get more life out of it but it's a significant amount of money and time to throw into a vehicle and not a lot of time returned if you have higher mileage.

62k miles is really low btw, tons of life left in that VQ. Do it and yourself a favor and familliarize yourself with the service interval for all the various systems. Keeping up on maintenance is how you make a vehicle last, don't skip fluid changes, call around town to get prices from various shops for various services and include the Nissan/Infiniti dealerships, their prices are very competitive for fluid changes and you know it's done by the book without cutting corners and using fluids designed exactly for the vehicle.

It's not vehicle specific but I don't think anything on the service intervals changed for any 2003-2007 G35 so this reference should work. Pull the spark plugs once a year and decide for yourself if they need changed, stick to OEM parts for everything except performance upgrades and only buy upgrades from reputable companies that have proven results. These forums are AMAZING for that kind of research, you can put "g35driver" in front of any keyword google search and almost always find the answer here.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...067-41185P.pdf

Old 06-23-2018, 04:03 PM
mph
as far as fun mods to amuse yourself

-an exhaust system - the G sounds very good with some extra pipes and most likely will put a smile on your face..I'd look into the agency power one(single exit / sounds pretty good) if your on a budget. Other exhausts like HKS/Motordyne TDX2/Invidia are great as well.. quite a bit more expensive though. Also you can keep your exhaust stock and just get some high flow cats and it will make a little bit of a difference in sound and give you some more HP.

-body mods - cheap and easy one is .. black out the chrome grill with plasti dip..and get a rear diffuser in black or carbon fiber. That combo will cost you like $90-$160 and it does do alot just having the grill and the rear diffuser combod...gives the car a little more pop for cheap.

-coil overs - get an extra half inch lower and also your steering will be tighter and feel more responsive.

-wheels -If your G35 isn't already equipped with OEM RAYS then get some wheels id recommend 19x9.5 in front and 19x10.5 in rear if you want some sick wheels that fit very flush.

if you want just straight power
ART PIPES
exhaust
plenum
mrev2
tune

that should give you a good amount of power without going to crazy. They also make a bigger throttle body mod that you can combo with a bigger intake for some extra power but the stock airbox intake/stock throttle body is actually not bad at all.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I didn't consider that before, but I should totally paint my rear diffuser on the bumper. Why else does it have that hump .

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.