G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Media Share G35 Sedan V35 (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-sedan-v35-308/)
-   -   2003 Interior Refresh. A Winter Project. Pic Heavy. (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-sedan-v35/420443-2003-interior-refresh-winter-project-pic-heavy.html)

TunerMax 12-21-2012 07:35 PM

2003 Interior Refresh. A Winter Project. Pic Heavy.

18 Attachment(s)
Car: 2003.5 6MT
Project: Interior modification/Refresh

I've never done interior work before. Any imput, constructive critism, ideas, etc are encouraged and welcomed!! I've been kind of whoring some other threads with update pics, so I figured I'm best to just start a thread, considering how deep I'm getting here.

Enjoy!

Quickly, I already dug into the lighting. Custom RGB (pick a colour) interior. I only have to convert one more thing to complete this job, that is getting done this winter also.

I also got a custom gauge face because I dis-liked the original. I won't dig into the lighting/gauge stuff, this is more of a trim/upholstry oriented thread! So just a couple quick snaps:

Attachment 209551
Attachment 209552

here's red & blue

Attachment 209553
Attachment 209554

NOW on to the primary part of the thread!

This whole thing started with my want for a custom gauge mount. I never really likes the A-pillar style on any cars I have ever seen, so I didn't want to do that.

Enter, ebay Gauge pods, Foam, Fiberglass, Bondo:

Attachment 209555
Attachment 209556
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...0/IMG_8455.jpg

^^^ That's almost done. I tried a bunch of textured paints, was going to wrap it in CF, etc, etc. After a munch of messing around, I decided to just strip it back down and paint it black as originally planned, like stock.

The gauge pod setup made me consider & buy carbon fiber for the first time. This stuff is cool. I have never been a fan actually, didn't do it for me, but in person, and done nice and smooth, it really is visually stunning.

All that said, I'm not certain I'll continue/keep this theme, BUT I AM giving it a try. It started with the A-Pillar:

Attachment 209557

Attachment 209558

I'm doing the other A - pillar now. As well as the 6MT shifter trim:

Attachment 209559
Attachment 209560

I've also torn apart most of the interior I plan to mod:

Attachment 209561

Attachment 209562

Attachment 209563

Attachment 209564

Attachment 209565

And replacing the orange tint here also, to match the LCD screen up top. Clear lens, with a tint to turn the output colour to WHITE

Attachment 209566

Attachment 209567

Also painting all the silver stuff black, unsure what I"m doing with that 100% just yet, but satin black at the least:

Attachment 209568
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...213_141143.jpg

Updates to come! :JAMIN:

JaE35 12-21-2012 07:59 PM

looks like a ton of work, looks great thus far

ReggieRegg 12-22-2012 03:42 PM

Very nice work. I plan on doing a overhaul to my interior soon also.

AARONHL 12-22-2012 04:20 PM

Damn nga I just took the lights out of my clock as my favorite interior mod, you are going all out!!! I really like that carbon fiber shifter trim. Do you use epoxy resin??

NjMatteSedan 12-23-2012 07:48 PM

Sick! Jealous of the gauges. You should do piano black instead of satin imo

TunerMax 12-23-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks! I ended up using the Krylon paint, and it SUCKS!!! goes on thick and as soon as you touch it with even 1000 grit wetsand it just clumps up.

So now I have to completely sand/strip it all off, and it's just clogging like crazy. Stupid crap! lol.

As for the Piano black idea, that's not a bad one, that's the Finish my Gauge face is. BUT, I think it would be WAY too shiny for the trim parts, I could NOT do the trim around the cluster in it because I'd be blinded when the sun is out.
It's a great idea, I"m going to think about where I could possibly integrate it as an accent. Maybe the thin strips that run horizontal between the upper dash and the venting. I WAS going to try them in CF, but Gloss black/Piano Black is a good thought also.

NjMatteSedan 12-23-2012 08:04 PM

If it helps my gauge cluster is painted gloss black by the shop and I dont get blinded at all. But its not a true mirror like reflection like piano black, the top part is orange peelish. Maybe a light 50% tint would do wonders to reduce that glare. Or another option is wrapping the gauge cluster in vinyl similar to the dash (similar to 05-06 years)

NjMatteSedan 12-23-2012 08:06 PM

Also it would tie in with the glossiness of the A pillars and shifter trim

TunerMax 12-23-2012 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me (Post 6657377)
If it helps my gauge cluster is painted gloss black by the shop and I dont get blinded at all. But its not a true mirror like reflection like piano black, the top part is orange peelish. Maybe a light 50% tint would do wonders to reduce that glare. Or another option is wrapping the gauge cluster in vinyl similar to the dash (similar to 05-06 years)

Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me (Post 6657378)
Also it would tie in with the glossiness of the A pillars and shifter trim

Thanks for the great ideas, so your gauge cluster TRIM is gloss black? Pics? Would love to get some ideas from pictures.

I tried a wrap similar to the dash already, funny you should mention it! I forgot to post the pics of that. Coming up. It didn't look right on the Cluster Trim though, too different from the rest of the dash. The Stock pattern is rare.

ALSO thanks mods for moving this, I tossed it in the General section without thinking.

TunerMax 12-23-2012 08:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Low quality pics, but enough to get the idea.

I was going to wrap the Power seat switch trim in CF, or paint it black. I decided to try the Vinyl/leatherette on the Gauge cluster trim, but it didn't work out. So I figured I'd give it a shot here.

It turned out ridiculously good, granted, if I go this route I'll re-wrap it, I just wrapped it quick to get an idea.

Pics:

Attachment 209487
Attachment 209488
Attachment 209489

Attachment 209490

It matches perfectly. Would be a SEAMLESS change. One of those things that after it's installed, you just don't notice it ever again, lol. But the stock look was aweful, so something needs to happen.

I MIGHT wrap these in CF though, not quite sure yet. I think I'll install some of the other painted/CF'd stuff first and leave these till last.

It'll be CF or this Leather-ette for them, for sure, just don't know which.

NjMatteSedan 12-23-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMax (Post 6657386)
Thanks for the great ideas, so your gauge cluster TRIM is gloss black? Pics? Would love to get some ideas from pictures.

I tried a wrap similar to the dash already, funny you should mention it! I forgot to post the pics of that. Coming up. It didn't look right on the Cluster Trim though, too different from the rest of the dash. The Stock pattern is rare.

ALSO thanks mods for moving this, I tossed it in the General section without thinking.

Yes it is. My clock bezel, double din, shifter console, the one under the armrest are also gloss black. Door pulls are wrapped in 3M di noc but soon to be gloss black. This is the only pic I have. I could take more when it's daylight if needed http://i49.tinypic.com/25q420n.jpg

NjMatteSedan 12-23-2012 08:31 PM

I got my steering wheel rewrapped and the material they used on the black part of the steering wheel is almost a dead on match to the pattern of the dash http://i48.tinypic.com/2lad8c9.jpg

TunerMax 12-23-2012 08:33 PM

Thanks dude! That doesn't look bad at all from that picture, if you can dig up some more I'd love to see the whole thing! thanks again.

JDM_Cain 12-24-2012 01:20 PM

Great Job man....love the DIY work, again....what are you using the gage pod for? Also, can't really tell from the picture, but is the A Pillar wrapped in real CF? not the dinoc CF wrap....

TurTLe* 12-24-2012 01:29 PM

i like the leather seat control! I dislike the 2 infiniti icons in the gauge cluster. Thats just a touch too much.

Pretty good looking and creative stuff you got going.