G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Media Share G35 Sedan V35 (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-sedan-v35-308/)
-   -   Scumbagsleeper's 05' G35X automatic turbo budget build (https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-g35-sedan-v35/465475-scumbagsleepers-05-g35x-automatic-turbo-budget-build.html)

scumbagsleeper 04-29-2019 12:29 PM

Added some more pics up top. So in the last two weekends my brother came over and helped weld everything so I wouldn't make a mess of it :) We worked for about 3 days and got the hot side finished up. 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust tube kit ($130) was enough to build at least 3 cars like this since it was a full dual exhaust kit. The cold side was built from 2x 2.5" universal intercooler pipe kit with couplers and clamps ($75 - $78 each). We got the Turbosmart ultragate welded in and the Tial 50mm BOV installed. I still have a wiring issue with the ECU and FIC6 that I'm going through the FSM and AEM's tech sheet to figure out. I probably was just too tired after work and missed something simple, The fuel regulator won't regulate to the minimum stated pressure so I am going to systematically remove restrictions in the return line to find out what the problem is there. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's the venturi because it is very small diameter. I still need to tap the compressor outlet or cold pipe and hook up a reference line to the wastegate. I need to run a wiring harness I made for a custom oil/fuel pressure gauge (arduino based of course). If we get any time we are going to start a new gauge project to pull the factory knock/wideband information to a LCD display. Might add the turbo health (oil temp and pressure) to the same LCD. It sounds like a lot but it is actually really close to road tuning time and I'm starting to get excited to play with it.

scumbagsleeper 05-01-2019 10:42 AM

Here is how my morning started... I'm in the 2004 G35X DD car 3 blocks from work I am stopped at a traffic light and look in my rear view mirror to see a Chevy truck about to slam me so I hold the brakes as hard as possible. (Should have done that brake upgrade! in the back of my head right about that point) I get slammed and miss the car in front of me by a few inches. Called 911 and sat for a minute collecting my info. Waited for traffic to clear and went back to the truck to see if we could move the vehicles to the side. He said " I can but the car under my truck bed probably can't". There was a little VW Passat V6 with the nose under the truck bed covered in angle iron and cut off metal supplies from his truck. About then the state patrol showed up and started checking everybody until the city police got done with breakfast or whatever they were doing and they finally showed up. I asked the city police if either vehicle had insurance and he said the girl in back with the VW won't answer questions and has no proof of insurance, the car is not registered, and he thinks she is under the influence.... The guy in the truck also has no proof of insurance so you should probably start taking pictures. So I go back to the kid in the truck and start questioning him and he said his parents are on the way with insurance and he was fully covered! THANK YOU GOD! and about that time they pull this 20-24 year old girl with out of the VW to do a sobriety test and she can't walk a line without stumbling all over the place. It's 7am right now and she has a lanyard with work ID on and I heard the cop say she blew a .338 and it was her second offence! Guess she is having a worse morning than I am! (As they cuff the girl and put her in the police car) So the damage was all rear on mine. The rear bumper cover, trunk, wing, all the lights, one bend on the driver rear wheel well, probably rear frame damage too and the rear view mirror flew off the front windshield leaving a huge chip in the windshield where it used to be.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...5f7b6e0a6b.jpg

G2B35AGN 05-01-2019 11:57 AM

Wow. That's a bummer in so many ways. Trust you are okay. No neck discomfort I hope; presume you jammed head to rest too when you jammed the brakes.

.338 at 7 AM? Wow. Hope that was from the party AFTER her shift ended?

Always a financial bummer. Insurance value will total it out. So sad.

You have another in the stable to press into service as DD?

scumbagsleeper 05-01-2019 12:27 PM

I'm good, it wasn't too bad of an impact. The two behind me is another story. I'll keep driving this car until insurance makes a verdict. I'm guessing that they will total it out too, I'll buy it back to patch up for now or part out later. The car is only at 135k miles (bought it with 125k) and average book is $4000. They will probably want about $700-$800 on buy back.

The two behind me:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...17d67f9ec8.jpg

cleric670 05-01-2019 10:35 PM

You're gonna be ****ing hurting tommorow. Sorry to hear about that.

scumbagsleeper 05-02-2019 09:12 AM

Thanks, I got pretty lucky. I'm fine (day #2) and the car is the only thing that took damage. It's pretty bad inside of the trunk. I was duct taping the trunk lines since we have rain going on until the weekend here and saw that both sides of the trunk floor are crumpled bad and the full size spare I just put in ther actually kept the trunk from getting crushed even more. I can't even get the spare tire out. Might try fully deflating the tire. The kid in the truck sent me a text on my way home saying his parents gave the wrong insurance and he switched companys so he would text me his new info and haven't heard back yet.... I'm going to be pretty pissed if I had two uninsured jerks behind me.

Anyway on to the turbo 2005 G35x. I finished up a digital gauge (Added pic up top) to send turbo oil pressure and temperature so I can make sure the pump system is working correctly at all times. Almost all of the wiring is finished front to back, just need to finish the engine oil/fuel pressure gauge wiring and power to the second bank of injectors, and mount the gauges temporarily. We should be taking it out for a spin this weekend filling up with E85 and working on the fuel table. If the turbo setup actually works well I will probably make some final changes, clean things up and make them more permanent.

cleric670 05-02-2019 12:42 PM

For the future, always CALL the insurance company at the scene of the accident, they will have a 24 hour phone number on the insurance card somewhere. I usually will speak to the insurance first then have them talk to the other drive and have them admit fault with the officer as a witness. Then there's no question of who is liable.

If they won't admit that's fine, the officer will make a decision about who is at fault. As long as you have pictures of everyones drivers license, license plate, and VIN number then you can always sue them for damages... a LOT of damages.

scumbagsleeper 05-02-2019 02:53 PM

I've tried the court thing against uninsured people before. If they don't own anything and won't work the most you can accomplish is getting their licence pulled maybe some jail time. On top of the damages you end up with lawyer fee's too. My lawyer said to me last time " You can't get blood out of a turnip". I dug up more info on the drunk girl in the rear. 28 years old, license still suspended from a DWI less than a year ago and has court for that dwi next month, being sued for something else the month after that. The car was unregistered, no plates, no license and no insurance. I'm going to get the accident report and trace the VIN to see who owns this unregistered VW missile.

cleric670 05-02-2019 03:01 PM

Sounds like a 364 day jail sentence is what she needs.

cleric670 05-02-2019 03:02 PM

Any more than that and she'll just be getting drunk off pruno in prison, keep her in county.

scumbagsleeper 05-16-2019 09:41 PM

Well it's been good news all day! The girl that hit my 04' actually had insurance so I'm sure the car will get paid for / totaled out. I gotta give Progressive 5 stars for doing 99% of the footwork digging up information. I only had liability on my car since it was so cheap, but they are making sure to take care of me any way they can. Once more "Awesome service" :) I finally got back to working on the 05' turbo car and finished up the necessary gauges and oil pump control. The car is ready for tuning and I just took her out for a 15-20 mile spin keeping it out of boost (maybe 1psi for fun). Runs perfect and can't wait to see how it spools! I currently have the fuel pressure at 70psi and using 67% ethanol (whats called E85 here) and the stock fuel trims are looking real good. The aluminum oil tank is getting up to 160F degrees (after 20mins of driving & 87 F ambient) and if it gets too much hotter I'll think about a small trans cooler under the rear.

Youtube link - 1st test drive

Blue Dream 05-20-2019 11:00 AM

I commented on your YouTube page, sounds fantastic and seems to be running very well. Congrats!

scumbagsleeper 05-20-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7168299)
I commented on your YouTube page, sounds fantastic and seems to be running very well. Congrats!

Thanks! We only had a couple hours to play around on it this weekend but got it tuned @ 7-8 PSI, I didn't get any video since we were short on time. I'll get some more video of it soon. We were only using about 10% of the GT500 injectors so we have room for more boost :) The car sounds wicked at high RPM's and the boost is actually better response than I thought it would be. We are going to shut off the cam advance/retard and tune some more through the week if we get some time.

scumbagsleeper 05-24-2019 12:10 AM

I drove it to work yesterday and got about 50 miles of city driving in. The turbo oil gets to about 160-180 F in 80 degree weather. When we were doing full highway pulls we ran right at 200 F. So I installed a small transmission cooler that was laying around from my brothers cobra foxbody project car, it didn't need it since he swapped to a viper 6 speed anyway. 200 degrees didn't bother me since it was very stable but summer is just starting and I think it will need it as it warms up outside. It just turned over to 160,000 miles as we were tuning it so I'll be able to remember how many miles until things start falling apart :) I also put a gopro mount in so I could get video but the battery was dead..... maybe tomorrow after a good charge.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...271ecf1a3c.jpg
Added a oil cooler for the turbo
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...b0d2708f96.jpg
160k miles at time of turbo installation

cleric670 05-24-2019 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by scumbagsleeper (Post 7168680)
160k miles at time of turbo installation

Made your tires go flat.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...093d7e2548.jpg