New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Young Owner, Young G35

Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Young Owner, Young G35

Hey everyone! New owner of a 2005 G35 silver coupe here (photo included!). The car previously belonged to my dad, who sold it to me recently because I was in the market for a new car and he wasn't driving her as often as he'd like. While the car is a 2005 it only has 48k miles on it so I'm looking forward to having her around for a long time and I'm planning on using this site to make sure I know how to take care of her.

On that note, while I was lurking around the site before signing up, I was trying to find some insight into a sound I've been hearing coming from the car. Starting at around 10-15 mph, maxing out at 20 mph, and then fading away, I can hear a low wump-wump-wump... coming from the car that is no louder if the windows are open. The sound slows down and speeds up with the speed of the car. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Young Owner, Young G35-g35-cropped.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing

Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sounds like bad tires, IMMEDIATELY check the year of the tires, with only 48k on the vehicle it might be REALLY old tires that are starting to deteriorate from the inside...

Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Hey Brad and Cleric, thank you for your responses. I know the tires aren't too old, they definitely still have great treads on them, but the car was sitting for a while so it's possible they've warped out of shape. I'll get them looked at, but I'm glad to know for certain that this isn't something normal.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Vulture13
Hey Brad and Cleric, thank you for your responses. I know the tires aren't too old, they definitely still have great treads on them, but the car was sitting for a while so it's possible they've warped out of shape. I'll get them looked at, but I'm glad to know for certain that this isn't something normal.
They don't mean mileage old, they mean age old. You shouldn't run tires that are over 4 years old. If you look at the tire near the rim of the wheel itself you'll see a DOT stamp. It will say DOT then followed by 2 sets of number/letters and then a stamp with an oval around 4 numbers. Like this: DOT P125 35HV 1212.

That 1212 would be when the tire was manufactured; it stands for the week and year of production. So it would be the 12th week of 2012. Or if it said 3516 that would be the 35th week of '16.

Make sure your tires aren't old, cuz it CAN be dangerous regardless of how much tread they have.

Also, take off those door bumpers. Your paint still looks good enough to do it without it leaving a ghost.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If there's any question about how dangerous old rubber can be (not to be confused with worn rubber) just ask Paul Walker...

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
They don't mean mileage old, they mean age old. You shouldn't run tires that are over 4 years old. If you look at the tire near the rim of the wheel itself you'll see a DOT stamp. It will say DOT then followed by 2 sets of number/letters and then a stamp with an oval around 4 numbers. Like this: DOT P125 35HV 1212.

That 1212 would be when the tire was manufactured; it stands for the week and year of production. So it would be the 12th week of 2012. Or if it said 3516 that would be the 35th week of '16.

Make sure your tires aren't old, cuz it CAN be dangerous regardless of how much tread they have.

Also, take off those door bumpers. Your paint still looks good enough to do it without it leaving a ghost.
I didn't know that about the tires so I'll check them out first thing tomorrow. Also, when you refer to door bumpers, are you referring to the strip in the middle of the doors or at the bottom of the doors (or something else)?

Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by T_Vulture13
I didn't know that about the tires so I'll check them out first thing tomorrow. Also, when you refer to door bumpers, are you referring to the strip in the middle of the doors or at the bottom of the doors (or something else)?
Those speed bumps in the middle of the door. Not sure why some dealers installed those, but it's really distracting the way it bisects the door. Looks MUCH cleaner without them.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Whelp, the tires are from 2011 and I noticed some cracking in the rubber on a couple of the tires so based on what's been said my guess is replacing the tires is a good place to start in fixing the sound problem. Thank you all again for your replies.

I'll think about the door bumpers... I admit I kind of like the style it adds to the car but I'll take a look at some photos of G35s without them.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep, pretty much guarantee that's also the source of the "whump whump" noise.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If there's any question about how dangerous old rubber can be (not to be confused with worn rubber) just ask Paul Walker...
Without a doubt, a perfect example of why you should keep an eye on your tires for age and cracking. Paul Walker died four miles from my front door, news media blamed everyone/everything but the simple fact the tires were to old to drive on...especially at speed! Keep in mind tires don't have to be old to crack and it's not always on the outside!
Gary

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.