G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   New Members Check In (https://g35driver.com/forums/new-members-check-451/)
-   -   Finally got my first G35x!! (https://g35driver.com/forums/new-members-check/463348-finally-got-my-first-g35x.html)

scumbagsleeper 04-20-2018 09:31 PM

Finally got my first G35x!!

Hi everyone! I'm Nate. I'm new to the G35 world but not new to Infiniti. I have several built G20 turbo cars and am venturing into the V6 territory now.

I just picked up a 04' G35x to clean up and do a build on. I have always wanted one but have been waiting for them to get cheap. I found this car for $3000 with 124k miles and it made horrible noise at 40+ MPH. It made the 110 mile journey home and I have found from reading here that it is possibly the wheel bearings so I'm going to change the wheel bearings, upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and tires so I can get it inspected and plated.

Plans are to keep it somewhat stock looking and pull the drivetrain to freshen up. Rering, headgaskets, new seals, check bearing clearances. Rebuild trans, add frictions, reshim, shift kit. Already have 2 borg warner turbos for her. Make fuel rails, FPR, return system, 340LPH e85 pump. It won't be much different than the G20's we have built. Just a simple E85 + boost build.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...7c58fb12bc.jpg

cleric670 04-20-2018 09:45 PM

Love a good project, congrats on the new vehicle.

scumbagsleeper 04-21-2018 10:23 AM

Thanks! Can't wait to start ripping into her. This is the first VQ car I have ever worked on so it will be a learning adventure for awhile.

RatchLyfeLLC 04-22-2018 09:49 AM

Welcome and congrats man. Looks good.

G2B35AGN 04-22-2018 10:20 AM

Nice pick up. I miss my sedanX a little bit, but confess I enjoy my coupe a little bit more.

You are going to want to tighten up the suspension on it, particularly with that much added power. As you explore the site you will see lots of testimonials for upgrading swaybars. Problem is with the AWD sedan, front end sway is different. It's tiny to cater to the expected grandparent market that would be attracted to the added "safety" of the AWD, not necessarily performance handling. Hotchkis makes a set of adjustable sways for the sedanX.

Here comes the pitch: I have a lightly-used set I picked up right before my sedanX went to the insurance graveyard. Never got to install them. They're just sitting in the shop gathering dust doing nobody any good. PM me if interested; will sell for what I paid.

scumbagsleeper 04-25-2018 12:02 AM

Thanks Guys! I'll start reading about the suspension stuff. I am going to be in there changing the upper control arms, lower ball joints, wheel bearings and a front CV before I get her inspected and plated. It also needs tires really bad so I was looking on CL for g35 wheels and parts.... Found another 05 g35x that lost the front U joint and smacked the engine, trans, and gearbox pretty much totaling it out. Car is in awesome shape with brand new tires and also now mine since he only wanted $500 bux for the whole car... I won't know if the drivetrain is salvageable until I trailer it home tomorrow. But if it only took out the lower drain pan and bellhouse and didn't run out of oil trashing the bearings it will be the start of a complete rebuild and jig for the turbos. Guess I need to start a build thread now.

cleric670 04-25-2018 01:04 PM

Jeez that's a crazy price, you could make your money back in 1 day with quick-selling part out stuff. I'd love to find a donor in that price range lol.

scumbagsleeper 04-26-2018 12:19 AM

I know, I can't believe I'm seeing G35's this cheap. I'm glad I started looking at them again. I have a feeling that a lot of the X's will be on the market cheap because of the front U-joint failing. The car I just bought has 154k miles and was a Texas car most of it's life so it doesn't have any rust. I really wasn't wanting to build two cars but couldn't pass it up. Lucky I am parting one of my G20's and just sold my Jeep so there is space for them.

scumbagsleeper 05-01-2018 12:06 PM

Probably going to sell the 04' G35x pictured and keep the 05' that I picked up for $500. I just fixed everything on the 04' - Lower front ball joints, driver front CV axle, upper control arms, pass side outter tie rod end, pass side wheel bearing and also sanded and clear coated the headlights. I also swapped the 05' wheels with brand new tires on to the 04' for now. It will give me a lot more $$$ toward the turbo goodies that way. The 05' might actually be in a little better shape besides all the damage below from the driveshaft u joint going out. Looks like it will only need a front differential and driveshaft, the small hole in the bellhouse / lower oil pan area looks like it can be welded up when we get the drivetrain out so we can rebuild the engine / trans.

cleric670 05-01-2018 12:44 PM

The project evolves :)