New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New 2004 G35 Coupe owner. 1st car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 2004 G35 Coupe owner. 1st car

Here's a picture of my new G35 145+k miles forgot to take a picture of tires and spoilers
Hello my name is Jason. In Il. I got my G35 Coupe from my uncle he went back to mexico so I got the car but have to pay him back which is fine, doesn't really bother me. It is an auto transmission kind of disappointed by that but aye it's a first car has some mods but I do not know the specific all I know it has a spoiler new tires. Lights, exhaust. Excited to get into cars. I am a newb so im going to need some help. What upgrade should I get for the car first?

Old 07-20-2018, 03:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take care of preventative and scheduled maintenance tenance items first to make sure it STAYS running good. Once it is back to 100% then get an intake plenum spacer, HFC, tune (since you already have the exhaust taken care of.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Take care of preventative and scheduled maintenance tenance items first to make sure it STAYS running good. Once it is back to 100% then get an intake plenum spacer, HFC, tune (since you already have the exhaust taken care of.
Ok who should I take the car to check it to make sure it's great? Like what professional or just a mechanic?

Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well that depends entirely on the mechanics in your area, normally for folks taking a car in I recommend the dealership but there are some notoriously shady dealerships and you'll just have to determine that for yourself.

If you're not a mechanic or know what to look for on a vehicle then take it to Nissan (not Infiniti unless you just want to pay double for the same ssrvice) for a full inspection and an oil change. Nissan's prices are usually really good for oil changes and they might do the comprehensive inspection for free. You will likely need ALL fluids changed, tranny drain fill, brakes, clutch, differential, t case and front diff if an AWD, power steering, coolant.

If there's 100k on the vehicle and no record of past fluid changes then it needs them all, also have them THOROUGHLY inspect the rear differential bushing, it's probably cracked.

Also get an alignment correction so you don't blow through tires in 1000 miles if it's really off.

Every car has substantial wear on the entire suspension by 100k but a sport sedan/coupe will really start to feel bad because people usually push them harder then a typical vehicle. Every suspension bushing, sway bar end links, tie rod ends, front struts, rear shocks, ball joints and possible wheel bearings are usually VERY worn at 100k miles.

Motor mounts and tranny mount usually survive till about 150k depending on abuse.

Also have the AC system tested and filled if needed.

That would cover all your standard scheduled maintenance items.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 AM
Well that depends entirely on the mechanics in your area, normally for folks taking a car in I recommend the dealership but there are some notoriously shady dealerships and you'll just have to determine that for yourself.

If you're not a mechanic or know what to look for on a vehicle then take it to Nissan (not Infiniti unless you just want to pay double for the same ssrvice) for a full inspection and an oil change. Nissan's prices are usually really good for oil changes and they might do the comprehensive inspection for free. You will likely need ALL fluids changed, tranny drain fill, brakes, clutch, differential, t case and front diff if an AWD, power steering, coolant.

If there's 100k on the vehicle and no record of past fluid changes then it needs them all, also have them THOROUGHLY inspect the rear differential bushing, it's probably cracked.

Also get an alignment correction so you don't blow through tires in 1000 miles if it's really off.

Every car has substantial wear on the entire suspension by 100k but a sport sedan/coupe will really start to feel bad because people usually push them harder then a typical vehicle. Every suspension bushing, sway bar end links, tie rod ends, front struts, rear shocks, ball joints and possible wheel bearings are usually VERY worn at 100k miles.

Motor mounts and tranny mount usually survive till about 150k depending on abuse.

Also have the AC system tested and filled if needed.

That would cover all your standard scheduled maintenance items.
THANKS BRO happy you told me this, it is alot but will help me in the long run to know about my car make sure it's in top condition. Will save that message so I can remember thanks man and aye what kind of coilovers are good for the G35 infiniti?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:07 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The problem with all that maintenance is it can be VERY expensive if you're paying someone else to turn the wrenches, if you were doing the work yourself then you would probably sink about $1500 in the car for a full replacement/upgrade of those components including struts/shocks. If you are paying a mechanic it will likely be about $5-7k which exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Most folks are happy to buy a used G and do only the minimal maintenance items like transmission/engine/differential oil and just let the rest of the vehicle fall apart and replace individual components once they have completely failed. The G will last to about 150-180k miles with this method, doing preventative and full scheduled maintenance you get 250-300k out of it.

I'm not going to say that either method is "right" or "wrong" because it completely depends on your individual situation. Just be realistic about what you want out of the car.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 AM
The problem with all that maintenance is it can be VERY expensive if you're paying someone else to turn the wrenches, if you were doing the work yourself then you would probably sink about $1500 in the car for a full replacement/upgrade of those components including struts/shocks. If you are paying a mechanic it will likely be about $5-7k which exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Most folks are happy to buy a used G and do only the minimal maintenance items like transmission/engine/differential oil and just let the rest of the vehicle fall apart and replace individual components once they have completely failed. The G will last to about 150-180k miles with this method, doing preventative and full scheduled maintenance you get 250-300k out of it.

I'm not going to say that either method is "right" or "wrong" because it completely depends on your individual situation. Just be realistic about what you want out of the car.
Yeah I will probably go the route where fix majority of the things I have couple family members that are mechanics. I want to get more out of the car and not just break down. Thanks for informing me cleric appreciate it cant wait to start.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-21-2018)