New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

G35 sedan high engine temperature

Old 08-12-2018, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation G35 sedan high engine temperature

Hi All, last week the engine coolant plastic bottle broke where the cap locks and began leaking the engine coolant, I did not notice it until someone told me the car is leaking too much water. I stopped the car, waited till it cooled and found that it lost almost 5 liters (almost 1 US Gallon) of engine coolant. Bought a new bottle and replaced it.
The issue is that if something in the cooling system breaks and loose all its coolant, the temperature gauge does not show it because the radiator thermostat is not in contact with water anymore and this way you will loose a six thousand dollars engine for a silly reason like a blown rubber tube.
I am thinking of installing a digital thermometer with the bulb placed on the engine block and set the alarm to warn me in similar cases.
Did anyone had this issue before ? And what was done to bypass the problem of the misleading temperature dashboard gauge ?
It is strange how a sophisticated car like the Infiniti with all its computer gadgets and sensors all over the place could miss a serious issue like this one.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's a limitation of EVERY internal combustion engine, usually though if you have a hemorrhage (100% ruptured hose) there's a lot of steam associated with it or if the leak is slow enough then coolant temperatures climb once you reach the threshold where it cannot dissapate enough heat due to low volume.

Technically yes if you suddenly lost ALL your coolant the air being pumped through the coolant loop would likely not transfer enough heat energy to the temp sensor fast enough to prevent causing engine damage due to an overheat condition. It's almost impossible to dump that much coolant though and not have a huge spray of mist coming out of the engine bay.

The following users liked this post:
WalidG35 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
It's a limitation of EVERY internal combustion engine, usually though if you have a hemorrhage (100% ruptured hose) there's a lot of steam associated with it or if the leak is slow enough then coolant temperatures climb once you reach the threshold where it cannot dissapate enough heat due to low volume.

Technically yes if you suddenly lost ALL your coolant the air being pumped through the coolant loop would likely not transfer enough heat energy to the temp sensor fast enough to prevent causing engine damage due to an overheat condition. It's almost impossible to dump that much coolant though and not have a huge spray of mist coming out of the engine bay.
Thank you Eric for your reply.
I am determined to bypass this problem and install a thermometer on the engine block because it happened once and it could reoccur anytime sooner or later.
I am currently searching for a 12VDC digital thermostat with a high limit alarm sounder that should warn me if the engine block gets too hot.
Of course I will post a feedback if this should work.