NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Where should I go for a Spring instalation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
$95 is a damn good offer and again, I appreciate it.
I'm like most around here, a bit obsessive with my car. I won't bring it just anywhere and that's what spawned this thread... I needed references.
I know Corey, I've seen his work, he's a friend and I trust him. Some of the other suggested shops also have high scores in other forums.
I'll bring it to a shop if I have to, but I'm hoping to do it myself (like all my other mods) and I just need a wingman. I technically know how to do it, I just haven't done it before.

You, I don't know from Adam. You could be the best of the best... I just don't know you.
Again, it was a really nice offer and I do appreciate you chiming in to offer a fellow forum member a kick-@ss deal, but I just wanted to stop this before it got any uglier.

I just want my friggen springs installed!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand. There are few shops in CT like xxtuning and swiftmotorsports and eternal motorsports you can check out. I dont know much about MA so cant help you out locally. Good luck tho.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
3 hour job? Each side rear takes about 10 mins. Each front takes about 30 mins. I can take out a vqmotor in less than 4. Who takes 3 hours for springs.

And how can a spring install be a ****ty work. Its not body work where it can come out faded or wavy. Its straight forward install. Ive done a spring install, and rear camber arms on a recent customer for 120 and now hes coming back to me for clutch install. Ive done numerous turbo installs as well as few vq engine assemblies.
Rear 10 minutes? I will time you and give you $100 if u can do the rears in 20 minutes. It's a 2-2.5 hour job. 3 is stretching it....especially if you don't have a lift (which i assume you don't).

Look, bottom line is that when some random guy on the forum is saying he will charge 1/3 the price of a real shop that can be held responsible if something goes wrong, it's a bit suspicious.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
$95 is a damn good offer and again, I appreciate it.
I'm like most around here, a bit obsessive with my car. I won't bring it just anywhere and that's what spawned this thread... I needed references.
I know Corey, I've seen his work, he's a friend and I trust him. Some of the other suggested shops also have high scores in other forums.
I'll bring it to a shop if I have to, but I'm hoping to do it myself (like all my other mods) and I just need a wingman. I technically know how to do it, I just haven't done it before.

You, I don't know from Adam. You could be the best of the best... I just don't know you.
Again, it was a really nice offer and I do appreciate you chiming in to offer a fellow forum member a kick-@ss deal, but I just wanted to stop this before it got any uglier.

I just want my friggen springs installed!!!!!!

rent a spring compressor from autozone/pepboys and ull be all set and make sure u read directions properly...most springs require you to trim the bump stops.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by 617G
Rear 10 minutes? I will time you and give you $100 if u can do the rears in 20 minutes. It's a 2-2.5 hour job. 3 is stretching it....especially if you don't have a lift (which i assume you don't).

Look, bottom line is that when some random guy on the forum is saying he will charge 1/3 the price of a real shop that can be held responsible if something goes wrong, it's a bit suspicious.
A 3 hour job for who bro? Maybe for the OP since its his first time. Ive done this more than enough times. The rear is so ****in easy. Take the wheel off, put jack under arm, take bolt off. lower jack, swap springs, jack up and bolt up. IF you honestly take more than 10-15 mins on each rear, your a ****in idiot.

And shops dont take 3 hours for springs. They charge you 3 hour job cuz thats what its rated in the book. If a dealership takes 3 hours for my spring swap, i would never go there. That means there were obviously confused about something. I charge 95 for that because if i do charge 250 bucks, then you might as well go to a shop.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by 617G
rent a spring compressor from autozone/pepboys and ull be all set and make sure u read directions properly...most springs require you to trim the bump stops.
Wrong again.

1. You need air compressor to take off top hat bolt.
2. Why waste time on spring compressors. Zap off top bolt and spring will pop right off. put lowering spring on and push down slightly to catch few threads on bolt and zap it back on with gun. You only need spring compressor when puttin OEM springs back on.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I have an air compressor, but I still haven't gotten around to buying an impact wrench yet.
As for spring compressors, I'm still under the impression that these things are gonna take my head off if I do something wrong.

I love doing my own work... I just haven't done it before and I know the AWD fronts add a little more complexity to the matter as well.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
Wrong again.

1. You need air compressor to take off top hat bolt.
2. Why waste time on spring compressors. Zap off top bolt and spring will pop right off. put lowering spring on and push down slightly to catch few threads on bolt and zap it back on with gun. You only need spring compressor when puttin OEM springs back on.
You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Do you warrantee your work?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 AM
1 month. If anything goes wrong within that month, bring it back and ill fix it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Rookie, do you have a shop, or do you just do this stuff on the side?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I'd ever buy a product or service that only comes w/ 1 month warranty...

Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
You guys obviously have no experience in shops.

With any aftermarket part, NO SHOP unless its a performance shop will warranty anything.

and eason, this is on the side in my garage. This is where i lift out motors, do twin turbo installs, pretty much anything besides tuning and wheel alignments.

Nobody is forced to come to me. Ive got customers already from my350z forum but i got banned from there for a comment i made towards another member.

My recent twin turbo install; the guy made 380 whp on twin 18g with only 5lbs of boost. I charged him 700 for labor as apposed to 2k for a shop. I told him, if anything goes wrong, bring it back and ill fix it no problem. He came back with a minor oil leak from the return line and now hes good to go.

The bottom line is, I'm here for anyone that needs a hand because of budget problems, money issues or any reason you would not like to go to a shop. I understand the issue here in where theres no trust. Nobody wants a hack tech working on their car and i understand. I have a good reputation on my350z so you can do your research there or you can come to me for small jobs and if you are satisfied, become a regular. Its up to you. I'm not desperate for work here. I am a technician for comcast vehicles right now and i do this on the side.

-Ed

Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
And 617g. Nothing personal or anything. I just got irritated for some reason. I appologize.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I saw your thread on the work you do.... looks great.
I was just curious where you do most of your work. I have a garage at my house but I find working in it to be a PITA due to it's size.
I was just curious where you have the room for this type of work. I suppose once you get good enough, space issues are not as tough to deal with.
I don't even like doing brake jobs in my garage. I have to do one side and then turn the car around.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Heres my garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where should I go for a Spring instalation?