Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Sacramento restaurant reviews.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacramento restaurant reviews.

I live in midtown and eat/drink out way too much. I am always trying to venture into new places in and around Sacramento. I'd love to hear about some of the places you guys go, and any new places you find.

This all sparked because I went to a place called Roxie yesterday...random hole in the wall sandwich/deli/liquor store in East Sac, right on the corner of 34th and C. I had never even heard of it, but it was unbelievable! They bake all their own bread, roast some of their own meat, and the guys in there were hilarious.

If you haven't been there...definitely worth the trip. I think as good if not better than Taylors, Corti, Dad's, Pickles...etc...

Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
There's a cool thread over at 350Z where they talk about where to go eat after a run.
Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: It was a sticky!
http://my350z.com/forum/northern-cal...n-norcali.html

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Just a few

I'm sure most people have heard and been here. But I just moved to sacramento last year, and finally had the chance to stop at Makuni's. It always looked expensive so never really went. But we were told that it was very well priced, so we went and checked it out. We ate at Applebee’s a few nights prior and only got 2 appitizers, and here we had 1 and 2 dinners and only spent $10 more with drinks. I’ve never been big on Japanese food, but they were really good and very reasonably priced. You have to try their Tempura.

Another place that might not be so common is Crush 29. I took my Fiance for her 21st b-day and we shared a marinated aged steak. And that **it was so damn delicious. It took a little self control not to want to somehow get the remaining sauce off the plate.

Thai Basil downtown was rated best thai in Sacramento this year and we went for some occasion and it was I’d say a 8 out of 10. The only down fall was they were a little pricier than most thai. The restaurant definitely needs to upgrade because it is VERY small inside. But overall they were good.

Good idea for a thread I’ve been looking for something like this.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to Kasbah which is Turkish food on J street. VERY good stuff. LIVE belly dancer EVERY NIGHT!!!!

I've heard that Tappa The World (or something like that), which is right next door to Kasbah and owned by the same people, is just as good.

Queen of Sheba on broadway is good if you like authentic Ethiopian food complete with the sour, spongey bread.

Oh, and the Melting Pot downtown is FUCKING AWESOME.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
OH YEA! We've tried the melting pot. The dinner for 2 OMG AMAZING. It's the type of place that you can sit and enjoy for a while. I eat really fast (Military habits die hard) and the melting pot makes you slow down and enjoy the company you have. Not to mention their delicious food and desert.

Originally Posted by finagle69

Oh, and the Melting Pot downtown is FUCKING AWESOME.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
I've heard that Tappa The World (or something like that), which is right next door to Kasbah and owned by the same people, is just as good.
^Tappa's is great. It's a favorite hang for my friends in the music department after concerts.

On Saturday I went to a Thai Place Called Amarin which is on the corner of 12th and I. Very good.

Centro on 27th and J st. serves mexican food and never disappoints.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
^^+1 on Amarin.. go there all the time for lunch since it is near my work. Gaesorn is pretty good for Thai as well (near 9th & J)

Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a place we go to before or after runs sometimes. they have really good burgers and fries. just tell them that John said to give you the secret "Animal Style".. they'll know what you're talking about.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
also, if you're downtown during lunch time, check out La Bonne and Bud's buffet. These places look like holes in the wall, but have great food

Old 11-29-2008, 12:42 PM
you can also search yelp.com and read local reviews of restaurants, it always serves me fairly well when looking for a new place to take the wife on date night.

couple of recent trips

Riverside Clubhouse: used to go a lot when I first moved into town when it was right around the corner, went 2 weeks ago for lunch, still pretty decent food for decent prices and a nice patio which is great with the weather we have been having lately.

La Tratoria Bohemia (36th and J or so): strange menu with Italian, Hungarian, German, and Czech dishes. really good pizza, everything else stinks in my opinion, but the pizza is worth the trip. Also a good place to people watch along J street. The bar next door is pretty cool too.

El Noviellero: went last week, hadn't been there in probably 4 years, still some of the best mexican food in town, ranks just behind Tres Hermanas in my book.

Tuli Bistro: nice setting, very good food, but way overpriced for small servings (everything is served tapas style). Spent over $200 for dinner and drinks for 4 and I still wanted to go to In and Out on the way home because I was hungry.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
+1 to yelp.com for good restaurant reviews.

My favorite place in Sacramento is Scott's Seafood. They have 3 locations in the area but I think the one at Fair Oaks & Fulton is the best. It's fine dining the way it should be, consistantly perfect food and great service. I have eaten there dozens of times and have never had a bad experience while often thinking to myself "this is some of the best food I've ever eaten."

Great place to take a date or anyone that appreciates good food.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Alumni****
I would recommend the Slocum House. I first took my fiance there for Valentine's Day last year and we have been there another 4 times since then. Great food and great service. If you have the entertainment card, you can get buy 1 entree get another one for free. Great value and great food. A buddy of mine used to work there and would hook us up with some free apps, but he's no longer there. Still, a great place to eat though.

Another place that I recently tried was Paul Martin's in Roseville. It's a great organic food restaurant. Their service is awesome too (good looking waitresses for us guys). I had their strip steak, which was good, but there apps and their brick chicken was great as well. I'll think of some more and post cause we constantly try new places and have found some good recommendations based on yelp.com and from co-workers who have lived in Sac all their lives.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by patman530
also, if you're downtown during lunch time, check out La Bonne and Bud's buffet. These places look like holes in the wall, but have great food
Where are these at? I haven't ever even heard of them. What kind of food are they?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
Where are these at? I haven't ever even heard of them. What kind of food are they?

La Bonne Soupe Café
Unique sandwiches/soups hand made fresh by French chef. The chef makes each order while you wait, and he is the only one who works there. Go early (11:15-11:30am) otherwise expect a long line.
920 Eighth St., Sacramento, CA, 95814
(916) 492-9506

Bud's Buffet
Fresh meat sandwiches, and some other special dishes. Fresh roasted meats daily, sliced in front of you as sandwich is made. Place looks like an old cafeteria, but food is great.
1016 10th St
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 443-6905

Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
If you're ever by broadway and 5th, check out Jamie's bar and grill.. I used to work there and they make really good food.. talk to the chef, Kevin, and tell him you know me, Ty (pronounced Tee) and he might hook you up.. they make really good prime ribs.. he only works dinner time only.. they're open weekdays for dinner at 5-8ish.. during st patty's day they have a live band and everything out in the parking lot.. def worth checking out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sacramento restaurant reviews.