G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Picture Share (https://g35driver.com/forums/picture-share-181/)
-   -   Extreme4377's Lexus IS350 Photo Shoot / PhotosByCalvin (https://g35driver.com/forums/picture-share/234150-extreme4377s-lexus-is350-photo-shoot-photosbycalvin.html)

ILLicit 07-21-2008 01:07 PM

What do you use to throw the pics together Cal? Photomatix? Shots came out really sick.

Calvin 07-21-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97
Nice job Cal, I've still got a long way to go. For the HDR, did you just modify a single RAW file or is it multiple exposures merged?

I used the AEB on my 40D and set it to -1, 0, +1.

When I started doing HDR, I would create HDRI's using single RAW files. But now that I've experimented a little, I prefer HDRI's with multiple exposures over one RAW file. That is, I've created HDRI's of the same exact scene using both one RAW file and three exposures. 8/10 times I prefer the HDRI's created from multiple exposures. I wasn't getting enough dynamic range out of a single RAW file.

The only time I prefer using a single RAW file is when there are moving subjects in the frame. Below is an HDRI created with three exposures (again, hand held) with moving subjects in the frame.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/43de050c.jpg

I re-did this with one RAW file and it came out better since the car/bike are not blurred. BUT! The overall quality of the "HDRI" didn't come out as well. The most noticeable difference is the sky. It looks way better in the HDRI created from multiple exposures.

Calvin 07-21-2008 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
What do you use to throw the pics together Cal? Photomatix? Shots came out really sick.

Yes. I use Photomatix to generate and tonemap an HDRI out of three RAW files. Then if I'm not too lazy I'll throw them in Photoshop to touch them up (clone things out, sharpen, etc.).

None of these were Photoshopped.

redlude97 07-21-2008 01:21 PM

Yea, I understand that a multiple file HDR is usually better, I'm just amazed you could hand hold the bracketed shots without a tripod. I can barely handhold a single shot in low light conditions. Nice Job!

Calvin 07-21-2008 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yea, I understand that a multiple file HDR is usually better, I'm just amazed you could hand hold the bracketed shots without a tripod. I can barely handhold a single shot in low light conditions. Nice Job!

That's why I had to bump up the ISO - to get faster shutter speeds. It was pretty difficult, but I just jammed my elbows into my stomach and kinda created my own human tripod. :bowrofl: I can't imagine how stupid I look to other people as they walk by. :o But the AEB and High Burst Mode really help. :D

Given the right conditions, 6.5FPS (frames per second) FTW! Actually...Marcus's D300's 8FPS FTGDMFW! :bowdown:

Marcus, just you wait until I get my 5D mkII! :11:

LOL, yeh right. :rolleyes: Like that'll be any time soon. :7:

:p

Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Handheld HDR...:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Last shot is my fav of the bunch, very nice composition with the sun behind the car. Would have been an even sicker shot if the front wheel was turned a little more away from the camera.

Nice series Cal.

Thanks, Marcus!

Yeh, I was more concerned with holding the camera steady long enough to get three still exposures. And this is why I hate doing sunset shoots. IMO, there's only 15 minutes of good lighting! So I was more focused on getting three still exposures in the short amount of time that I had than the small details. :( And I generally dislike the warm tones that the sunset provides.

jdmgee35 07-21-2008 03:57 PM

I really like most the pics you take. But, the HDR treatment kinda kills it for me, personally. Makes the pics look too washed out with no low tones.. I've seen some great usage of the hdr process where the colors look rich.

Big Rob 07-21-2008 03:58 PM

Pics look good to me, Cal.

Great job! :biggthumpup:

Calvin 07-21-2008 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jdmgee35
I really like most the pics you take. But, the HDR treatment kinda kills it for me, personally. Makes the pics look too washed out with no low tones.. I've seen some great usage of the hdr process where the colors look rich.

It's all good, everyone has their own tastes. But in this case I couldn't capture the car without blowing out the sky, and I couldn't capture the sky without underexposing the car. Hence the use of HDR here. But I feel yah. I'm just going through an HDR stage. :bowrofl: It'll blow over. Eventually. :2:

Skaterbasist 07-21-2008 04:07 PM

Car looks clean. Though I don't like the look of Time Attacks on a gray IS350.

His G35 was so much cleaner though.

Rphillips6487 07-21-2008 04:57 PM

nice pics

HXS 07-21-2008 06:00 PM

last one is sick.

Locksmith 07-21-2008 07:15 PM

Great pictures, the wheels on that car look kinda weak though...

Johnmikins 07-21-2008 07:47 PM

Nice shots, tires need some armor all or sumthin...Ashey Larry lookin azz tires!

808HerbzG35 07-21-2008 07:49 PM

cal, u need to start roaming around downtown honolulu!

O HELLA JDM 07-21-2008 10:09 PM

damnnn nice nice....hook me up with one cal haha