G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long VS K&N Typhoon Dual CAI (Winter?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35x Sedan Sport
Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long VS K&N Typhoon Dual CAI (Winter?)

Hello everyone,

Newbie here to the Club. Great information everywhere. I have spent the last couple days reading the forums but can't find an answer to a dilemma I have. Please direct me to a post if this has been discussed earlier.

I just purchased a 2008 G35x Sport Sedan with 154XXX miles on it from a dealer. The car will be going in the shop for a checkup since it has that many miles and was sold as is. Once the necessary repairs are made, I would like to add an intake to the engine. A G35x I test drove had the K&N dual intake installed and I fell in love with the growling of the engine and the stock sound can't compete with the sound of the intake.

My question is, since I live in the upper Midwest and our winters are long, how would a CAI perform like the Stillen? Will I have problems with the snow and puddles since it will be installed behind the grill, essentially? Should I stick with the K&N intake even though the air it will be sucking-in may be hotter?

Does the Stillen sound better than the K&N intake (https://www.knfilters.com/cold-air-i.../g35/3.5l/2008). The car will be a daily city driver, so mostly on the lower RPM spectrum. Also, do you recommend that I tune the car after installing the intake to ensure it is not running lean or anything? I plan on installing a plenum spacer as well and no more mods will be made. I just want a little sound.

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited by MING35x; 03-19-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Can't answer the questions but no plenum spacer on the V36. Nissan fixed the restriction issue in this iteration of the engine.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Thanks for the reply G2B25AGN!! That is great to know -- definitely saved me some money there.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If it were me I'd avoid the K&N because as you mentioned it will suck in the hot air in the engine bay. I can't answer whether the Stillen, or any other intake that sits behind the grill, will be OK in the winter but there won't be a dramatic difference in sound between different intakes. They all have open filters which will create very similar amplified sucking noises. A tune won't be necessary but we recommend it anyway. It really changes the way a car runs/drives, even on a stock car.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 AM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
If it were me I'd avoid the K&N because as you mentioned it will suck in the hot air in the engine bay. I can't answer whether the Stillen, or any other intake that sits behind the grill, will be OK in the winter but there won't be a dramatic difference in sound between different intakes. They all have open filters which will create very similar amplified sucking noises. A tune won't be necessary but we recommend it anyway. It really changes the way a car runs/drives, even on a stock car.
Thanks for clarifying about the sound difference. The dealer that was selling the G35x with the K&N intakes said that the previous owner added the short intakes on purpose to protect the filters from the slush and the snow. I don't know if they will actually do it or if he was just trying to get rid of the car. I also wonder if the short intakes will mess with the MAF sensor.

Any idea what such a tune would cost on average?

What do you guys think of this Takeda?
Amazon Amazon
. SRI but if I stick a heat shield on it, I am wondering if it will help with the heat. Will two of these fit in the engine bay? I know the SRI and CAI topic has been beaten to death, so no need to go down that route. Or this one looks interesting with the heat shield. Thanks.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-tr-30...m#applications

Last edited by MING35x; 03-20-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 AM
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
G35x Base
Pretty sure neither of those will fit, the one on amazon shows a VQ35DE which has a completely different intake setup, and the one on afepower says for a first gen. Now, I could be wrong, as I only know what my 08 G35x has, but I'm pretty sure your xS has the HR engine with the dual intakes.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Joenavy85
Pretty sure neither of those will fit, the one on amazon shows a VQ35DE which has a completely different intake setup, and the one on afepower says for a first gen. Now, I could be wrong, as I only know what my 08 G35x has, but I'm pretty sure your xS has the HR engine with the dual intakes.
Okay got it. Yeah, my engine has the dual intakes. I was thinking I could slap on two of them. I kept on reading and I'm probably going to go with the R2C dual. The semi short intake seems like it could be protected from the snow and a lot of people are saying great things about it. I hope I can get my hands on one.

Any idea how much a tune would cost?

Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
R2C seems like they are going out of business. Bad reviews. Tried calling them and no one picks up...Back to square one I guess.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check out Z1 motorsports. Also, you won't have issue sucking slush unless you remove the filter. It literally has to be sitting in a puddle of water before you ever get water past the filter. I've run intakes like that on trucks for YEARS and they've all been driven heavily through puddles and winter weather. You get more moisture from driving in texas during the humid months and it doesn't cause any problems. In order to suck water that thing has to be SUBMERGED in it.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x
How much did you buy it for?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:40 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Check out Z1 motorsports. Also, you won't have issue sucking slush unless you remove the filter. It literally has to be sitting in a puddle of water before you ever get water past the filter. I've run intakes like that on trucks for YEARS and they've all been driven heavily through puddles and winter weather. You get more moisture from driving in texas during the humid months and it doesn't cause any problems. In order to suck water that thing has to be SUBMERGED in it.
Thanks for the info.Yeah, I took the car in to the dealership for a check-up since I just bought it. I asked one of the mechanics there who also had a G35x and used to mod it. He told me to just buy what I think looks best as the difference is minimal. He also said for the SRIs, the climate up here is not as warm to be worried about heat soak. I ended up going with the Weapon R Secret in all black. I got a sweet discount from the manufacturer and can't wait to install it!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by BoujeeBanker
How much did you buy it for?
Bought what? The R2C? I didn't buy it. I searched but no one is carrying it. The company seems not to be doing well so I dipped.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Be forewarned Weapon R products are crap pretty much across the brand. The foam filters have a tendency to deteriorate over time and I've seen more than one post on other saying that the foam pieces made their way into their motors. Look on this site alone and you'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE who uses their products. Yes it seems R2C is dead which makes me sad. I was a huge supporter of them and their products and ran an R2C intake on our 05. Since the G is now dead Edgarc6789 is the proud new owner of our old one.

And the mechanic is wrong. The heat in the engine bay is brutal even in a colder climate. Maybe not a 0*F but more than half of the year up there you're looking at temps upwards of a 120* and up and a SRI just feeds that brutally hot air into the motor. If it were me I'd send back the WR and get an intake that meets in front of the radiator or one that feeds the filter down to under the motor.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Be forewarned Weapon R products are crap pretty much across the brand. The foam filters have a tendency to deteriorate over time and I've seen more than one post on other saying that the foam pieces made their way into their motors. Look on this site alone and you'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE who uses their products. Yes it seems R2C is dead which makes me sad. I was a huge supporter of them and their products and ran an R2C intake on our 05. Since the G is now dead Edgarc6789 is the proud new owner of our old one.

And the mechanic is wrong. The heat in the engine bay is brutal even in a colder climate. Maybe not a 0*F but more than half of the year up there you're looking at temps upwards of a 120* and up and a SRI just feeds that brutally hot air into the motor. If it were me I'd send back the WR and get an intake that meets in front of the radiator or one that feeds the filter down to under the motor.
Dang that is intense. I was reading on this intake for days before I closed the deal and people were saying pretty good things about it. I know the filter seems like a bunch of B.S. I was planning on buying a different filter from AEM or Injen and replacing the Weapon R filter. What do you think? I'm mostly going to be doing city driving.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 PM

It's really your call. A better filter us a great idea but I don't know about the rest of the intake. WR catch cans, coolant overflow tanks and PS fluid tanks by them have failed due to poor welds, shoddy materials and premature rust in other car forums I belong to. So do what you feel is right but let us know what direction you go and how it works out for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen 3 Ultra Long VS K&N Typhoon Dual CAI (Winter?)