Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Leaking valve cover or valve cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Leaking valve cover or valve cover gasket?

Hello IVe been having my 04 g35 sedan 6mt for a while now and getting pretty worried about a situation in my engine.The previous owner had told me that the car consume a bit of oil and I haven’t thought much of it until I notice that my oil cap along with the entire driver side valve cover is covered in oil.Theres no oil leaks pouring but it worries me about how my passenger side cover is dry as a bone but my driver side is oily.Should I replace the valve cover gasket or valve cover itself?

Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
replace the whole thing. ur spark plug seals are probably bad anyway so ur gonna have to replace the entire valve cover for that anyway. the rubber funnel around the oil cap is removable if you wanted to clean it. just pull it out.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
All that grimy **** accumulating on your cam solenoid, valve cover, and oil cap shroud just needs to be wiped up with some of those orange hand cleaning towels and detailed with a box of rags. No sense tearing apart your valve covers unless you are either dripping oil on the ground or leaking it into the spark plug wells.

Detail the engine bay, after 100k+ miles it definitely needs it.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^ so ur advice is to wait and replace the gaskets only when its leaking so bad that its dripping oil? and wipe the oil so it can come back?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
No he specifically stated that the car is NOT leaking. There's a really good chance that gigantic mess has happened as an accumulation of oil spills while filling the crankcase over the course of the past 15 years. You don't know where it came from only that it's obviously old and gathered a lot of dust/dirt.

Clean up the mess with a degreaser and see if anything comes back, THEN you know what to replace. In my case I was leaking a tiny bit from the cam actuator but the valve cover gasket was fine and most of the oil was probably just from sloppy lube techs. Mine looked EXACTLY like that when I bought it.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Well seeing how it's on the driver side it could be just from checking oil/adding oil and dripping onto the VC over the years. If you don't smell oil burning off the exhaust then you should take the engine shield off and see oil. My driver VC looked the same way but the passenger was the one leaking. Don't assume anything
edit: beat me to it ^

Last edited by FreshLikeAG; 03-19-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Hey guys thanks for the replies but quick update.It turns out that both valve covers were leaking (found out when actually doing the job) but I only have the actual new valve cover and gasket for my driver side and ONLY the gasket for the passenger side not the actual valve cover.Is it cool if the passenger side is fixed with only the gasket? Am I going to have any problems? Thank you

Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Well seeing how it's on the driver side it could be just from checking oil/adding oil and dripping onto the VC over the years. If you don't smell oil burning off the exhaust then you should take the engine shield off and see oil. My driver VC looked the same way but the passenger was the one leaking. Don't assume anything
edit: beat me to it ^
you were right 😓