G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil consumption and pinging issues ever solved?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
Oil consumption and pinging issues ever solved?

So i recently picked up an 05 g35 6mt. It came with some issues which i have been resolving. Shortly after buying it i noticed that it seemed to ping but had no codes and no flashing check engine light indicating a missfire. I deceided to replace the spark plugs to see if that would help the issue. I then noticed that the drivers side rear cylinder spark plug tube was full of oil! Yippie! Nissan rocks and made these racing edition light weight plastic valve covers that are not serviceable! Awesome! I love spending $400+ on some stupid stock plastic valve covers!. Tick that one off the list of dumb maintenance items! The pinging is still there. So then i take the opportunity to do a bunch of maintenance. Got new fuel injector o-rings, new lower plenum gaskets, rear coolant passage gaskets, new front oxygen sensors, Tomei headers, z1 high flow cats, vibratech engine mounts and transmission mount, new front and rear main seals and rubber grommets, z1 race flywheel, z1 street clutch setup, roller bearing pilot bearing, new clutch slave and master, stainless clutch line with heat shielding, RJM clutch pedal, fluidampr crank pulley, z1 silicone coolant hose kit, z1 silicone pcv hose kit, non rev up lower intake manifold, z1 5/16 spacer. In the process of doing all this i started noticing oil puddles in the lower manifold. So i ordered a mishimoto oil catch can. Then i started reading.

What i'm noticing right now is, the flywheel seems to have helped a lot. The revs dont pop up when i push the clutch pedal in anymore. Thats nice because that was an awful function. What i do notice now though is, when i put the car in neutral the car idles full retard. If i'm moving and put it in neutral the car will idle at like 1800 for quite a while. Cold starts the car idles at like 1800. I live in Hawaii. Cold start is NOT cold. It behaves strangely. What can i do to get rid of this behavior? Is the only cure for this the Osiris tune? Can a retune solve these weird driveability issues? Does the tune fix the random weird pinging that this engine seems to exhibit? What is the deal with that?

So i understand that the oil consumption issue is a little complicated. It seems like it comes from a piston ring issue. The piston rings create too much blow by. The blow by overwhelms the pcv system and fills the intake manifold with oil which is then burnt by entering through the valvetrain. So my curiosity is, excessive blow by is one thing. I understand that sucks. But that doesnt mean that this much oil needs to be getting out of my pcv system. Has anyone figured out a system that actually works for preventing the oil from escaping the pcv system? There are essentially 4 ports in the valve covers. Maybe this engine needs to have a fully vented system? Or perhaps it needs to be a sealed system that has an oil return to the oil pan. My catch can for my 400whp fd3s rx7 had to be vented. But that was FI this is not. It really seems like this system needs to be vented. Has anyone connected the oil consumption to the pinging? Has anyone actually solved their oil consumption issue successfully? I see tons of threads with people saying that even new motors installed by infiniti didnt solve their consumption issues and that even the replacement engines exhibited the same things after a short time. This has to be a system issue. Anyone have any good advice?

Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by hsitko
Anyone have any good advice?
Check your oil weekly preferably in the morning after the vehicle has been sitting overnight on a level surface.
My previous 06 G35 6 speed sometimes used qt/1000 miles. Changed oil every 3500 miles myself and used the cheapest 5w-30 on sale that I could find.
was commuting 2000 miles per month
Traded it in at 171796 miles

Tons of threads on this topic

Telcoman

Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Just figure out your rate of consumption and add a bit of oil every 1000 miles or whatever to stay on top of it.

Also, writing smaller paragraphs and spacing out individual ideas on different lines makes it more likely people will read your whole post, which I did not.

The following users liked this post:
Pumacelled (04-26-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by hsitko
Cold start is NOT cold.
Unless you live INSIDE the volcano the engine still thinks it's cold outside compared to operating temp. If your hot idle rpm is 650 +/- 50 rpm then it's functioning normally, there is no difference in cold start rpm (other than duration) on a -50 day or a +120 day.

You can make a vented PCV system, it just makes a giant mess out of the engine bay.

Most of the oil consumption is not through the PCV system it's oil directly from the crankcase through the rings, remember there are oil squirters on this engine so there's plenty of oil on the cylinder walls to make it past the rings. Nothing short of a rebuild with new rings will fix this but you can definitely mitigate it by keeping rpm's down. Biggest thing is to just check your oil weekly.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM
G35
Thanks Cleric! Yeah i get it with the cold start but man the revs hang for days. Even with the light flywheel. It seems pretty strange. It also doesnt seem to go away. By the time i get to work and pull into the parking lot it still wants to rev up to like 1800 when i put it in neutral. As far as being here, i usually only have experienced cold start enrichment being noticeable on any of the other cars i have owned when the temps dropped below 50. Then it would idle up a little not over 1000 rpms. Nissan is a little different these days i guess. No more idle air control valves. Its all e-throttle now. I kind of figured that the vented system might just end up spraying oil everywhere. Probably not the solution for me. I guess i will keep an eye on how much oil its going through and consider doing pistons and new rings some day. Thanks for the heads up. Sad these cars are plagued by some pretty serious issues. They really tick most of the boxes for me.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You should try the pedal dance reset for the idle air. Make sure the vehicle is in park or neutral, turn off EVERYTHING that consumes power, do the reset when the motor and tranny are up to operating temp.

Alternatively you can use a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Nissan Datascan2 app and just push a button to relearn the idle.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 AM
G35
Just a quick update. I finally got my g running again after pulling the engine. The pinging that i was describing in my original post was being exhibited first with the car 100% stock and then with the following modifications. Fluidampr crank pulley, k&n drop in air filter, z1 5/16 plenum spacer, non rev up lower intake manifold (ah hem mrev2 ah hem), z1 high flow cats, z1 race flywheel.

I pulled my engine to remove the upper oil pan and replace the front and rear main seal properly and while i had everything out the only thing i did to the engine was put the tomei headers on the engine. That modification alone has resolved my pinging.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a topic of contention. But i can see this reasonably being a solution for myriad reasons. I have read threads from people complaining about this issue with brand new g35's that they purchased from the dealer in 05 06. It could honestly be that the stock manifolds are restrictive enough to create enough back pressure to induce pinging. That back pressure could increase engine combustion temperatures and effect the burn rate in the cylinder.

What i can say is that i no longer have pinging. I still have the factory cat back exhaust but i dont feel like that is a major restriction when compared to the stock manifolds and cats. I would love to hear if anyone that has a freer flowing exhaust exhibits the strange pinging.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm running a functionally identical mod list to you except I've got stock cats, headers, and crank pully. I use exclusively 87 unless I'm planning on going hard racing that day, and I don't get any abnormal sounding noises.... Maybe it's something else wrong with your engine the headers have treated the symptoms for? Or maybe I'm just oblivious to pinging lol.... How obvious is it compared to lightweight flywheel rattle? When do you get it?

Glad your problem is solved though.