Help Identify Calipers/Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35S
Help Identify Calipers/Pads

Hello!

I posted a thread a few days ago which seemed to have gone nowhere. Quick background: bought an 07 G35. Dealerships confirmed packages via VIN (this has all except sport). There are some (cosmetic?) modifications and since I need to replace brake pads, I need to identify which ones this will take.

I now have a few more pictures, which may help identify the calipers and therefore appropriate pads. One things clear, these are definitely not Brembo calipers from 03-04. They do look a lot like 07 G35 originals, but I want to confirm as I don't have access to other G35s here in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest.

The calipers seem to have been painted with the pads in them so the pads are red too, which is apparently why the mechanic did not take the pads out. He said the pads usually have a number written in the middle (visible while installed) but that part seems to have been painted over.

Rear:

Front:

My only concern is there are a few I've seen on ebay that look like these and a few that don't. Are these original base model ones or are they the sport ones? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
What you have are the OEM non-sport (i.e. NOT the Akebono's from the later year and NOT the brembo's from the early years) calipers that someone installed fake brembo covers on.

Base model calipers with something like THIS installed.

The following users liked this post:
G2B35AGN (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
What you have are the OEM non-sport (i.e. NOT the Akebono's from the later year and NOT the brembo's from the early years) calipers that someone installed fake brembo covers on.
As soon as I saw image # 2, I got suspicious but then image # 3 was a dead giveaway ! Those are standard, non-Sport/Brembo calipers for sure.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Have your mechanic pull the pads and order standard, stock replacement pads and compare them. Pretty sure everything will match up nicely.

If I'm not mistaken, Brembo calipers are all the same basic design (surprised your mechanic didn't notice this to be honest - Brembos are common on many cars). There are piston(s) on the inboard and outboard sides of the calipers and they're not the same "floating" design like you have.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts

Base model calipers with something like THIS installed.

LMao. What the hell!!! I had never seen those.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohh I have, first time was on some beat up sedan and I couldn't believe they had put $1500+ worth of brakes on a car worth about $500 so I asked the guy what the hell was going on and he told me they were just fake covers.

Pretty genius idea though I bet they sell a lot of these things. Lots of folks are into "phantom horsepower" mods like this.

PHP won't make you go faster but it might get you laid, plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper than adding actual WHP.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM
G35S
Thank you for the help everyone! Ordered the standard pads and struts yesterday.

LOL at the cheap Brembo covers, even Brembo themselves couldn't tell me these were fakes. I should've known; whoever had this car before the previous owner modified it to look like the G37 anniversary edition, changing the seats to red, the front/rear bumper and side skirts, sport wheels and a rear spoiler. I don't mind these, especially since I got it at a good price and the prepurchase inspection mechanic cleared the car of any problems, except for the aforementioned brakes/struts etc.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's also possible that it was a sport equipped vehicle and they swapped the standard calipers/rotors back onto the vehicle and sold off the others. Not totally sure what year the Akebonos started going onto the V36 platform though

Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 PM
G35S
It's also possible that it was a sport equipped vehicle and they swapped the standard calipers/rotors back onto the vehicle and sold off the others. Not totally sure what year the Akebonos started going onto the V36 platform though
But I called a few Infiniti dealerships and gave them the VIN. They told me it did not have the sport package, at least when it left the factory. The title also lists it as a G35. At least one online VIN decoder, however, listed it as sport, so it is kinda confusing.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:15 PM
According to Infiniti's own parts website, an '07 G35 sedan with "sport type grade" trim comes with a single-piston, floating-style caliper, not Brembo or Akebono style.

I also have a "spec sheet" but it's for 2008, not 2007, but I wonder how much changed.... Anyway, it says the Sport trim is only available with manual transmissions. Do you have auto or manual ?

Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Go here, https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infini...on=replacement, and input your VIN and see what brakes it lists. I believe even the drawings are accurate. Take the brake pad part number it gives you and go here, https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...terchange.html. Input the Infiniti p/n (without the "-"), select "is exactly" and search. From my OEM p/n, it gives me the Raybestos pad (that I have sitting in my garage waiting to go on the car someday).

Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
This was my initial thought, but I didn't have the confidence (or knowledge of what all the real Brembo calipers look like) to say it out loud.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok apparently the akebono brakes didn't become an option until 2009.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:35 PM
G35S
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
According to Infiniti's own parts website, an '07 G35 sedan with "sport type grade" trim comes with a single-piston, floating-style caliper, not Brembo or Akebono style.

I also have a "spec sheet" but it's for 2008, not 2007, but I wonder how much changed.... Anyway, it says the Sport trim is only available with manual transmissions. Do you have auto or manual ?
It is an auto with shifter paddles, which came with the tech package according to a dealership I talked to. Again, a few dealerships I talked to said this car/VIN did not have a factory installed sport package.

Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Go here, https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infini...on=replacement, and input your VIN and see what brakes it lists. I believe even the drawings are accurate. Take the brake pad part number it gives you and go here, https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...terchange.html. Input the Infiniti p/n (without the "-"), select "is exactly" and search. From my OEM p/n, it gives me the Raybestos pad (that I have sitting in my garage waiting to go on the car someday).
So the dealerships say no sports package, and going from the pictures, the consensus here seems to be the brake calipers are OEM non-sport calipers which should take non-sport pads. BUT, from the infinitiusa.com link above, when I entered my VIN and followed those directions, it specified sport grade brakes, which lead to sport package Akebono pads as well.

I have already ordered non-sport pads and struts. I hope that wasn't a mistake.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 PM
When I input D1060JK000 at Raybestos, it tells me their equivalent parts are 1287 variants (PGD1287, EHT1287, etc, etc). They have (4) choices and have pictures for (2) of them. If their pictures are representative, they are "standard" pads.

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/.imagi...1287CH_FRO.jpg
https://www.brakepartsinc.com/.imagi...D1287C_FRO.jpg

It's looking more and more like cleric said, it might have have "Sport" brakes but they've been swapped with standard brakes. That's clearly what you have on the car based on the pictures.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Identify Calipers/Pads