G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://g35driver.com/forums/southern-california-44/)
-   -   OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow) (https://g35driver.com/forums/southern-california/30615-oct-1-open-track-event-buttonwillow.html)

THX723 08-05-2004 08:15 PM

OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

Hey fellas,
Indeed it's once again near that time where I satisfy my road racing addiction by rowdying up a few good men (and women) for this quarterly mecca to the local race track. I will be heading to Buttonwillow Raceway near Bakersfield this October through Speed Ventures. This is a road course and promise to be a lot of fun and learning experience for many of you.

Open track event is the other facet of motorsport besides the more familiar drag racing down the straight. It is arguably more enjoyable and definitely more involving for BOTH the driver and the passenger. It is the best roller coaster ride and natural exsctacy money can buy. This will be an ALL DAY event, although you are not obligated to stay the entire day. You shouldn't worry about not getting enough track time or bothered by too long of a wait in between runs. Chances are, you may elect to seat out a couple of runs just to catch yourself up :) Newbies shouldn't feel intimidated either, because this isn't actually a race. Three run groups sepearated by experience makes for a safer medium to learn and enjoy in. Simply drive at the pace you feel comfortable ... the worth thing that could happen is you wave some hotshot behind you to pass!

In order to have these events be economical, club race organizers typically hold events on Fridays. Saturday and Sunday certainly do exist, but usually come at a premium. Fortunately, this one's an exception. In fact, we have the entire 3 day weekend to choose from. I'll leave it to you guys to decide on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Naturally, everyone's going to want Saturday ... so it is the day that is likely to sell out, so act FAST! You're also more than welcome to attend ALL three days. There is a discount for attending more than 1 day btw.

Again, if we get enough people, I should have no problem persuading them to give us free lap timing device rental like last time.

It's still a good couple of months ahead, so do plan ahead. Ask away if you have any questions and don't miss out on this one!

Date: Oct. 1, 2, and 3

Cost:
- Friday, $140 (all day, 7am - 5pm)
- Saturday, 160 (all day, 7am - 5pm)
- Sunday, $140 (all day, 7am - 5pm)
- Any two days, $260 (discounted)
- All three days, $380 (more discount)

Instructor: $40 (optional, but required for 1st-timers)

Lap Timing Equipment: $30 (may be waived as a good sized group)

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/i...k_config_y.gif

Clint (THX723)

6speedG35sedan 08-05-2004 09:28 PM

Re: OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

Clint,

This time I'm in for sure. I currently run at my local SCCA solo II stuff so I have some experience other than driving freeways. Will I need an instructor? Also when do we pay? I also would rather run on Sunday. What day do you truly prefer? Are we more likely to get more runs on any particular day? If so maybe we can shot for that day.

Thanks,

Mike

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars
Kaaz LSD

THX723 08-05-2004 10:02 PM

Great Mike! Looks like your sedan will find itself quite comfortable on the track w. your current mods. You can pay on-line on Speed Ventures' website using a credit card once registration opens. You can also register on-line then pay via check-in-the-mail. I will keep everyone posted as soon as registration opens.

As for which day I prefer ... that is completely up to the majority's vote here. For a three day event like this, Saturday will by far be the most crowded simply by popular demand, with Sunday and Friday being less crowded respectively. That is also why Sunday and Friday are slightly cheaper.

As for instructor ... that's completely up to you since you have Solo II experience. I would recommend it because there are 22-turns for you to memorize (if you've never driven at Buttonwillow). The instructor could call out what turns coming up, where and how to take the turn properly, etc. They'll turn you loose once they feel comfortable with you.

Clint (THX723)

discreet_arts 08-06-2004 02:19 AM

This sounds like fun, keep us posted and more than likely I'm in.

Ricardo

2003.5 Ivory Pearl Coupe 5AT

zazaracing 08-06-2004 12:29 PM

Clint,

Im all there probibly fri and saturday or maybe just one fo them got a car show on the 3rd so cant amek ti all weekend. Im stoked man good looking out its a sick addiction glad to be part of it

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

THX723 08-06-2004 01:33 PM

Excellent AJ!

I'm going to start a list of those interested.

#. Name (Screen Name) - car - [date preference]
(please follow the same format)

1. Clint (THX723) - 6MTt Sedan - [any day]
2. Mike (6speedG35sedan) - 6MT Sedan - [Sun.]
3. Ricardo (Discreet_Arts) - 5AT Coupe - [???]
4. AJ (ZazaRacing) - 6MT Coupe - [Fri. & Sat.]

Clint (THX723)

dklau33 08-06-2004 05:38 PM

I'm extremely interested as I haven't been road racing in a year. Is this open to anyone? Like can I get a friend or two to join in with or without a G35? BTW I'm from the Bay Area. Interested really in one day, any day.

Darren

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway

zazaracing 08-06-2004 05:43 PM

yup any car will do doesnt have to be a G. its gonna be a fun day.

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

discreet_arts 08-06-2004 07:25 PM

3. Ricardo (Discreet_Arts) - 5AT Coupe - [any day]

2003.5 Ivory Pearl Coupe 5AT

THX723 08-06-2004 07:37 PM

Yup Darren. You are more than welcome to invite anyone w. any car and even those that just want to specate from the side line. This event is through Speed Ventures, whom I have been using for many years, and they are open to the public. I'm just an instigator for a small group to partake. By the way, quite a few people from NorCal you'll find at the event with Speed Ventures ... some even from out of state.

3. Ricardo (Discreet_Arts) - 5AT Coupe - [any day]
5. Darren (dklau33) - 6MT Sedan - [any day]

Clint (THX723)

Eagle1 08-07-2004 12:09 PM

Clint:
I would love to go, but not sure I can make it. Still want to get the J&S working and also some new rubber (my RA-1s are toast after Cal Speedway and still working on a deal for a replacement set to run). Definitely support the encouragement of a good sized crew to get out there and run, or just watch. I like the job Speedventures does, they are nice guys, it is quite professionally handled, and as you know I have gone to five events of theirs this year already (Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs and California Speedway).

If anybody is considering this as a newbie, take a look at my little write up on going to Buttonwillow as a novice, and take heart and confidence therefrom!

I hope to be there, but have some serious schedule issues that have to get resolved, so don't put me down yet.

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=32

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

dklau33 08-07-2004 01:19 PM

Clint, thanks for the invite. So do we sign up now or wait till a little later when you give us the info and go ahead? Also FYI I might have a friend with an EVO coming and trying to get some people from the Golden Gate G35 Club to join as well. Looking forward to getting back out on the track.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway

THX723 08-07-2004 01:31 PM

dklau33,
Yup ... stand by for a wee bit longer. I'm usually early on the heads up, so people can massage this into their schedule. As soon as the on-line registration open, I will let everyone know. You can also check the site for yourself Here. Once the 'Buttonwillow Raceway' column becomes a clickable hyperlink like the ones above it, then we're game!

Yes ... the more people the merrier :) It's just that much more fun when you invite more friends. There are always a few EVOs running with Speed Ventures. I believe they've also got a EVO Challenge Series for it too. Again, everyone is welcomed. Every now and then you'll see SUVs, trucks, stations wagons, VW Eurovans show up for some fun too. LOL!

Cheers,

Clint (THX723)

THX723 08-07-2004 01:46 PM

Ed,
Your presenence is always honored. We would definitely love to see you and your wonderfully souped up SC coupe make another outting.

I would definitely encourage all the rest of you to check out Ed's journal. They are simply works of art. So descriptive and tastefull. You swore you were riding shotgun with thim when you're done reading them. At the same time, don't get phased by some of what you read. I assure you, this is a very safe sport, provided you follow some basic guidelines. For one, don't be a hot-shot until you're well versed in the art of handling your car. I think we just might make you tone down your writing in the future Ed :p ... j/k! Keep up the fantastic writing!

Ed would also be a good source for some of you newbies to ask questions from, as it wasn't so long ago when he started tracking with me back in Feburary this year. He'll be able to offer his view of the sport from the novice stand point, where as mine could very well have been tainted from the many years of 'go fast at track' crackpipe usage.

Cheers,

Clint (THX723)

Eagle1 08-07-2004 02:50 PM

Guys, if you are newbies, just hang with Clint and you will be fine. He got me going, and when I finally figure out how much this addiction is costing me I will have to beat an equivalent amount out of his hide.
Except he drives so well it is unlikely I will ever be able to catch him!
Just go. Just go. Just go. It is so much better than you can imagine or words can describe if you have never done it. And going in a group really makes it better still. If you can get at least four, and preferably six or more, it is just fabulous. You caravan up. Get all squared away, have your instruction and laps, then share your thoughts and experiences throughout the day, and improve so much, learn so much, and in the process bond and develop friendship through the shared adventure. All you have to do is stay within your limits, and you will almost certainly do that, and you will be totally ok.
In truth, it is not the newbies that are the problem. Rarely are there any problems in the beginner groups. Usually it is the intermediates, who are pushing the envelope and yet still attaining the recovery skills for when they go past the limits, that have the rather spectacular and expensive mishaps. And those are typically spin outs and off track excursions. And sometimes a real idiot has a brain freeze and does something much too aggressive in the wrong spot, and that is where the wild stuff happens. There are places to push, and there are places to be a wimp, and it is not hard to figure out which is which!
Buttonwillow is a pretty safe track, lots of run off space, and not too terribly fast either. If you run it clockwise you will get some higher speeds than if you go ccw, but either way I seriously doubt you will even hit 120mph on one of the straights unless you are boosted, and 110 mph is probably more like it. On a nice wide smooth race track, that has the feel of going sixty on the freeway....it is just that the scenery is going by the window faster. Since there is virtually no scenery at Buttonwillow....hard to tell how fast you are going unless you look down!

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways