V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

x vs. xS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Nik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x vs. xS

does anyone know if springs/struts and sway bars are different for G35x vs. G35xS?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
They are the same.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Nik
thank you.
so only option is aftermarket. can I even get a front one for X?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEE35X
They are the same.
Hi! GEE35X

How did you lower you G. I always wanna do mine X but no knowledge.With your help will be very much appreciate.

what i need to get to lower my X.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
He's not lowered yet and he doesn't need any more nudging.... we both have one foot in divorce court over all this "lowering" talk.

There's a lot of info in the Tech section for lowering X's.
Personally, I'm leaning toward Impul springs. It's a nice looking drop for the X without going extremely low.... as we X drivers need to worry about deep snow in the winter months.
Impuls will drop the X down 20mm in the front and 5mm in the rear.

ddubb's X is sitting on Impuls. This is the look I'm going for.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks Scott. You said it perfectly. The divorce court fits also , I don't want to mention it to my wife for a while.

earth0, as AesonVirus said above. If I were to drop it I would only go with the Impul springs which is a mild drop, since the ground clearance is needed during winter months..

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks to both of you.Yeh,I got Nismo Chin also.Was thinking to drop but afraid if it could damage the clearance during snow time in NY.
how much for Impul Spring anyway and if i plan to drop whatelse I have to get to complete beside the impul spring.
BTW where you guy from?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by earth0
Thanks to both of you.Yeh,I got Nismo Chin also.Was thinking to drop but afraid if it could damage the clearance during snow time in NY.
how much for Impul Spring anyway and if i plan to drop whatelse I have to get to complete beside the impul spring.
BTW where you guy from?
The Impul Springs are quite pricey, they are around $400 US +shipping from japanparts.com . Rick at Riverside Infiniti said he could get them and I would imagine it would be a better price. They give just a 20mm front drop and a 5mm rear drop.

I live along the shores of Lake Huron in Ontario, Canada.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Hello Nik, welcome to the forums

The XS comes with the nifty sport seats and paddle shift... Although I can live without the sport seats and Rick at Riverside Infiniti can set you up with a DIY sport paddle shift kit for around $200?...

For my own X, I went with Eibach springs (about $330 can)

There is an excellent technical write up for lowering RWD G's written by Timmay77 here: https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy/214692-diy-lowering-07-g35s-pic-write-up.html

There are a few differences and notes to be aware of in lowering an X over the RWD. Every other step is identical as is the rear spring setup as Timmay77's instructions.

I will do my best to point out the *differences* so please bear with me, as I may get some terminology incorrect as well.

REPLACING FRONT SPRINGS.......

This step is abit different for AWD cars due to there being a driveshaft in the way. This is the best photo I could take as I had put the car all back together.

The black part is the strut that the driveshaft goes through. It forms a "Y" shape and bolts onto the lower control arm. This needs to be removed.

In order to remove the strut from the vehicle, the upper control arm must be separated.

Be very careful when removing the bolt from this part, as when I removed it, it was very *tight* and mushroomed the threads on the bolt. I had to re-tap the threads and it is fine now. At this point, be careful not to let the assembly drop too low from the car, there is a danger of the axle coming OUT of the transmission. If this happens, (depending on your luck) you may be in for a painful moment as you try and line up the axle to put it back into the tranny. To prevent this, keep the top part of the assemble where you took the bolt out, close to the car, if you let it drop, best of luck to you, as the axle may come out.

Installing the new spring notes,

As you can see, both look identical, Those of you who do the "Foot technique" for removing springs. This technique will only take you so far, as the struts are PRELOADED. Meaning you will HAVE TO COMPRESS THE NEW SPRING to re-assemble it. There is no way around this. The shaft will not come out far enough and this is the first time I has encountered a pre-loaded suspension. Make sure you have a spring compressor, otherwise, you may have just borked yourself if you employed the "Foot technique" without a compressor.

It was looking pretty bleak with the new springs in, but rest assured, there is a drop involved.

Before the install, I was able to get my entire fist into the fenders, front and back, now:

Back:

Front:

The rears look a little off camber, :

I will take it to an alignment shop in the following week and report my findings.

With all the different complications I have encountered added about 2 hours to the time, so about 3-4 (because I popped an axle out )

A few more pics are here:https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...59#post3218859

I should note that after two weeks, the rear has settled quite a bit since the install and now I can get barely two fingers in the rear (sexual euphemisms aside :P) fender well, the front has only settled slightly. I have the G in today for a 4 wheel alignment and a sensitive throttle.

I hope that helps to answer any potential questions you may have

Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
^^^^^^^^ Fantastic write-up Andy

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM
III
Excellent write-up and notations!! I just installed the front lip spoiler last night and realized that the front DEFINITELY needs to come down! So the Impuls have just been bumped up on the priority list I'll have to bookmark this and reference it when I get my Impuls in the coming months. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
^^^^^^^^ Fantastic write-up Andy
Do you think you'll ever lower your G Wayne? 20mm doesn't seem like much, even with the snow you get up there. Do you think it would make much difference weather or not you could drive it on some of the snowier winter days?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Do you think you'll ever lower your G Wayne? 20mm doesn't seem like much, even with the snow you get up there. Do you think it would make much difference weather or not you could drive it on some of the snowier winter days?
I would love to Paul but I don't think it will happen. I used to scrape the odd time with my 255/40 tires which were 1/2" diameter smaller than what I'm running now, and that was on some of the roads(trails) I go on in the summer time.

It would look better with a drop, but I have to be practical about it. That is why I said if I took the plunge it would be Impul since it is a minimal drop, the others would definitely be out of the question for my conditions.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone and you are very welcome

It seems us AWD'ers are pretty much left to ourselves, so we must look after one another.

I forgot to note that I am running *35* series tires instead of 40 series tires. An oversight made by the company in which I ordered the tires from. So it may appear higher than it actually is.

I got the car back and the it is within spec, but they would like to see a camber kit if there is any premature wear on the tires. I am making a re-booking next week to double check this.

Wayne, I'm not sure with the chin spoiler lowering the car is such a good idea, I have been scraping just about everything on my normal travels before the drop.... Aaaaahhh, what the hell, get them

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride
Wayne, I'm not sure with the chin spoiler lowering the car is such a good idea, I have been scraping just about everything on my normal travels before the drop.... Aaaaahhh, what the hell, get them
LOL, maybe I could drop it and install skid plates under the spoiler

Anyways that is a very helpful and informative write-up Andy. Thanks for doing that for us guys..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: x vs. xS