V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

voice commands not working sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voice commands not working sometimes

It seems this problem is only when the car is cold. So far it's been consistent that the voice commands don't work in cold weather when the car is first started. Usually about 15-20 minutes into the drive the voice commands work. What happens is you push the button for the voice prompt and then give it a command and it just sits there in a half frozen state. If you hit the back button it will sit there for anywhere from a few seconds to many seconds and then eventually say voice cancelled. After driving for 15-20 minutes voice commands seem to work fine again. Of course this is a problem for saying "Home" or "Address Book" right after getting in to the car. I suspect the hard drive is having a problem, yet the navigation works fine if you set your destination without using voice command. And the Music Box works fine too! Although, there is sometimes a 2-3 second delay before music starts playing with the Music Box when you initially switch to it (that wasn't happening before). And again, only seems to be the case when the car is cold!! This is really odd!!

This is for a 08 G35x with around 7200 miles.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I found a similar issue but live in LA, so not cold weather. I eventually found that it was some weird thing I did with my bluetooth connection. Once I reset the bluetooth, it seemed to work normally.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I will admit that I can't say (yet) that I'm positive it's related to cold weather but several times it has worked fine (when the car is first started) on days where the temperatures moderated only to start acting up again on really cold days. I will try the bluetooth reset since that is something simple to do. So, you are saying that (other than the cold weather statement) you had the same problem... Unresponsive to voice commands until after the car was on for 15-20 minutes?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Could be similar... Does it happen predictably? If so, try to simply turn off the bluetooth on your phone before you get in. As it turned out, on my phone it was a weird bluetooth setting that I had set that made it stop responding.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I'll have to try turning off the phone first. But the "reset" didn't do anything. Same problem this morning. Although, the delay was only a few minutes before it started responding correctly instead of 15-20 minutes. Coincidence or not the temps have moderated a little today.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
My problem is similar to this...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...cognition.html

I had been noticing that "sometimes" I'd issue a voice command and it takes a few extra seconds to respond. Other times it would be nearly instant. It had been starting to do this from time to time in the past couple months (didn't notice it for the first couple of months...I've had the car for almost 5 months now). But it wasn't until recently (last couple of weeks) that it got much worse and doesn't respond at all for many minutes.

Too bad there's no solution in the thread I linked.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
Maybe this new bulletin on nav lockups and screen freezes applies?

Bulletin
Thanks. The description is vague in that bulletin. It could be. Although my car's build date was July 2008, so it's not part of this bulletin.

Also, it's not so much that my navigation locks up. It's just that it appears to lock up when at the voice prompt. Otherwise everything else works fine. So, it's really just an issue (so far) with voice recognition.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Guess what? The temps today are a good 15-20 degrees warmer than it's been lately and the voice commands worked flawlessly and very quickly!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
mine bugs out regardless of the weather

it has something to do with the phone, and a data connection (if you have a smartphone). The data stream acts as a live connection, as if you are on the phone....and the bluetooth pics it up. Thats why sometimes if I get an email or an text...the sound plays throughout the car and the phone screen comes up as if Im making a call.

the TSB says to upgrade to 08-09 discs....any software change in that version? or just updated maps? Will it erase my musicbox info?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I believe I have the latest map software. I forgot what year it says...but its the first version with the reduced voice commands

Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Ever since I cleared out the voice training for the preset "User 1" things have been fine with one caveat. There is no question that the system has a slight delay when I turn the car on when it's really cold out. If I push the voice button immediately after turning the car on when it's really cold outside (20s and below) I usually get a quick double beep instead of the single beep when it's waiting for a command. If I wait about 10-20 seconds after the car was started then it will single beep and I can give it a command. But, other than this I'm not getting the horribly slow delay and lock up I was getting before.