Issue P1762 Quarter tank, full tank no issues

Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue P1762 Quarter tank, full tank no issues

I'm having issues when gas tank is at quarter tank, its like i have no power. But when its at full tank no issues at all or lights. Then i get engine line comes up and transmission starts doing odd stuff. I just wondered why i'm getting transmission codes when sounds like fuel pump is going out?

05 G35 infiniti sedan stock everything.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sometimes a component can be failing which causes a malfunction in OTHER systems. For example here's a hypothetical situation.

Fuel pump begins to fail, sends reduced fuel flow to the engine, engine doesn't send correct torque to the transmission, transmission doesn't build adequate pressure to properly work, TCM is expecting the hydraulic pressure so it's sending the transmission through the gear it should but eventually the TCM decides something is wrong (shift control solenoid error code P1762) and lights up the dash and limp modes the vehicle.

Now the problem originated at the fuel pump in this hypothetical situation but the FIRST COMPONENT to actually see the problem was the transmission control module so it sent up a diagnostic trouble code because part of its system is not working properly.

First thing I would do is start logging milage of the vehicle, if you start experiencing these issues at about 400 miles into a tank of gas yet it shows that you still have a quarter tank left then you probably have a faulty fuel sender and are running the vehicle down to it's last gallon of fuel. Next thing I would do is check out the factory service manual online, it starts at the FWD.pdf section, go to FUEL and perform all the steps to troubleshoot the fuel pump without removing it from the vehicle. Next I would install a fuel pressure inlet port on the fuel line so you can actually read pressure at the injector rail to verify there isn't a fuel delivery problem since the problem is REPRODUCIBLE at a certain fuel level.

If all those things check out then start your focus on the transmission, how many miles are on it? When was the last time it was serviced? If there's 150k on the tranny and it's never been serviced then yes you probably have a huge problem and might need to replace it from not following maintenance REQUIREMENTS (not guidlines or suggestions). If you don't have the neccessary tools to repair an auto trans then it's probably best left to a reputable shop that specializes in them. The dealership can perform a thorough diagnostic for a reasonable price to determine if the valve body in the transmission is shot, it's about $1k for just that part not including labor.

Now this next part isn't directed at you so don't take it personally:

A lot of folks ignore their automatic transmission until it starts to give them problems. It is a VERY sophisticated assembly, with many moving part, working at a very high level of precision, controlled by a very complex computer. There is literally ONE maintenance item the user needs to do to the transmission, have it serviced (full fluid replacement) every 30k miles. That is literally THE ONLY THING you need to do to maintain the transmission and it will usually last for many hundreds of thousands of miles! It's also one of the MOST EXPENSIVE parts of the entire vehicle! It's so common for people to never EVER change their transmission fluid! Do you ignore your engine oil? Other fluids? If you wait until the transmission is failing to perform a fluid change it's probably too late, the damage is done, expect to pay a thousand dollars or more to fix it because you were too busy to go get a flush...
Ok end rant, I hope the problem isn't actually your transmission.