G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   2003 G35 Coupe Driver's side Window not working...*HELP!* (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/163284-2003-g35-coupe-drivers-side-window-not-working-help.html)

LR-G 07-10-2008 10:44 AM

just had mine replaced.
started with the creaking while going up and down.
and when fully closed it would creak and when I hit bumps.

changed under warranty. but i didnt think its so common.
probably due to design?

spunny 07-31-2008 07:22 PM

Passenger Side Window Problems

6 months in after buying my 350Z I had a similar problem. Passenger side window does not go back up. Sometimes when I push up once, it usually goes all the way back up, but then about half way it goes back down. So far I have learned that if I hold the up button, it goes all the way up no problem. If it gets hot or whatever sometimes it just clicks when I push up and nothing happens.
If you open the door and push the window button to "up" and while holding up close the door, the window usually goes up. But that is just a temporary fix. I am waiting for the thing to completely go bad before I open it up.

Sponger 07-31-2008 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by G35Kidd237
Hey thanks Sponger, you saved me 300 dollars lol... ebayed the motor for 20 bucks and installed it through your guide, thanks again.

Sweet. Go ahead and PayPal me half the difference:biggthumpup:

Sac2904 08-07-2008 06:16 PM

hi guys,
I guess we all have the same freaky window problem with our G. I have a 04 coupe and lately, my driver window isn't goes up or down, passenger side is fine. I heard you could do it yourself by clean the motor or replace it. My warranty was over so I need to pay it from my pocket. If you guys have that link about this window removal/replacement, please forward. Thanks guys
pd

Cassman 08-08-2008 02:23 PM

Here is the link: https://g35driver.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-diy/218286-diy-ower-window-motor-replacement.html

I did it a few weeks ago and it is pretty easy. I bought my replacement motor from Autozone.

wingsprint410 01-24-2009 09:36 AM

I ran across this thread while searching for tips on removing my door panels to install Dynamat.

Seeing this issues with the window motors got me thinking..

Looking at the photos, it appears that the motor case dose not have any vents. The case is sealed. Most electric motors have some form of ventilation for cooling and to allow some carbon and metal build up to move away from the brushes. Some have had success with cleaning their motors which leads me to believe that build up on the brushes and the commutator is the problem. Other than a short in the windings, worn our or dirty brushes/commutator or a seized bearing, there is not much else in an electric motor that would cause a failure.

Guys who race electric RC cars (not the Toys R Us type- I am referring to 60mph carbon fiber rockets) use spray motor cleaners after every race. Some of these cars use motors that spin at over 30,000 RPM's. They spray the inside of the motor down while it is running, let it dry and then lightly lubricate the bearing shafts. Many use a spray electrical parts cleaner or even Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner.

My window motors are working fine. While Dynamating, I will play around and clean my motors and report back.

wingsprint410 01-25-2009 07:49 AM

I think I figured it out!

While Dyanmating my doors, I pulled the window motors apart and I was shocked to see the amount of junk inside them! Mind you that my windows have been working fine- but it was clear that it was only a matter of time before they failed.

It is my opinion that the carbon and metal flake build up in these motors are causing a short in the motor. Bad thing is that guys who replace their motors can expect the motors to go bad over and over. The root cause is the motor case is sealed and there is nowhere for the carbon and metal flakes to go. They just build up inside the motor until it fails. I am 99.9% sure that we are stuck cleaning the motors until Nissan redesigns the motor.

I was going to post pictures, but I found a link to My 350z.com that has outstanding pictures and directions on how to clean your window motors- with one exception.... Nowhere does it mention re-lubrication the motor after cleaning.

READ THIS!!!!-- You MUST lubricate (but not over lubricate) the top and bottom bushing shafts after cleaning the motor!!!

Some have reported that their motors worked for a while after cleaning then failed again. I suspect this is due to not properly re-lubricating or over lubricating the motor. I used electric motor cleaner and lubricant used for RC car motors purchased at a hobby shop. We shall see if this is the solution.

Link with pictures- http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...dow-motor.html

fortified 01-26-2009 02:16 PM

Is it always the motor? Mine does not close that last 1/4 to 1/2" when the weather is very cold. Works normal in warm or temperate conditions.
I can still close it when it is very cold, I just have to hit the 'UP' button again, in other words it seems to work manually, not automatically.
I was wondering if it might only be a lube problem for the guides, etc. or does it mean the motor is on it's last legs.

IrockAG35 01-26-2009 02:21 PM

same thing happened to my jeep, sounds like the motor burned out...the infinti window motor is an easy swap, much easier than jeep...i have seibon CF doors..when i took my oem window/motor out..its all basic..search for one..shouldnt be to hard to find..if you need a walk through pm me. gl

jtwenger 02-11-2009 10:33 PM

Just wanted to follow up with what Wingsprint410 has said about the carbon and metal flake build up in these motors.....I too am having the same problem with my window not rolling down...I am going to attempt to clean the motor in the hopes that this will solve my problem....Has anyone cleaned there motor and noticed that the problem has been resolved...or is the problem in fact a faulty motor which needs to be replaced?

I am debating whether or not to buy a new motor right now as my warranty has expired.

gizsf 02-12-2009 03:23 PM

It worked on mine. Make sure you only re-grease the parts that were originally greased though, don't over do it. Qtips and microfiber rags work great to clean out the shavings, u could also use a strong magnet if your having problems getting out the shavings.

MADMAXSS 06-26-2009 03:37 PM

If the motor has a gear with teeth on it its easy to fix but if its a cable I don't know how to fix that one. If its the one with the gear or whatnot I fixed my g/f car which is a hyundai santa fe but window motors are basically all the same. What I did was take the motor apart and it has like a center shaft that has a copper piece attached to the shaft now what you do is to take a piece of sandpaper and sand it down a bit to get the contacts cleaned that way when you assemble it back together it should start back up. Basically contacts get dirty and from use or lack of and you have to sand it down a little to clean them up.

bythabay 03-13-2010 03:38 AM

Just finished up the DIY video for this:

G35 Coupe Window Motor Replacement

alopez218 10-14-2010 05:38 PM

Hi my name is Alfredo and i am new here. I'm 17 and i bought a 2004 g35 coupe like 2 months ago. I wanted to ask this question because i am not sure whats happening to me is the same here. My passenger window goes down and up when you open the door and close it but when you try to lower it and raise it on the inside it wont work. Is that the motor that i have to replace or is it something else. Thanks

g35action 10-14-2010 05:47 PM

Just bought a 03 G35 and the passenger window isnt working. You would think Infiniti would have done a recall on these thing because it looks as if they all do it.

How many hours does a dealer charge to replace this. I have a rebuilt one sitting on my bench and dont feel like trying to do it my self.