G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

treacherous 01-12-2008 05:41 PM

It could probably be downloaded with paid subscription from here:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infi...RefNo=ITB08002

EarlyG35 01-12-2008 05:45 PM

Thanks for the info treaceous! I just want to make sure the bulletin is legit. Is there any other place I can get the bulletins for free? I don't want to pay for subscription.

Gle25, do you have an annual subscription?

Glex25 01-12-2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by EarlyG35
Thanks for the info treaceous! I just want to make sure the bulletin is legit. Is there any other place I can get the bulletins for free? I don't want to pay for subscription.

Gle25, do you have an annual subscription?

www.infinitihelp.com

Just need to register

V35 Skyline GT 01-12-2008 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Glex25
www.infinitihelp.com

Just need to register

^ Yup ;)

V35 Skyline GT 01-13-2008 09:17 AM

So did anyone notice the two differences between our TSB and the 350Z TSB?

Our TSB stresses the break-in proceedures and there's a cut-off date/VIN #.
Did they stop building 07 6mt coupes after May 29, 2007? Or did they use a different rev-up VQ afterward? Anyone know?

Greasy 01-13-2008 11:37 AM

Wow, I never realized this car burned oil like that. Mine wasn't even registered on the dip stick. It's way over 24mm from the high point.

The engine has 9,500 miles on it, and I've never missed an oil change. I'm all over this tomorrow!

If they replace the engine what does that do to the value of my car?

giorgio_g 01-13-2008 10:11 PM

now does this aplies only to MT only or does it applies to AT also can someone elaborate for me please? thanx!

V35 Skyline GT 01-14-2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by giorgio_g
now does this aplies only to MT only or does it applies to AT also can someone elaborate for me please? thanx!

Applied Vehicles:

2005 - 2006 G35 Sedan (V35) with M/T
2005 - 2007 G35 Coupe (CV35) with M/T

^First page of TSB.

350Z TSB also states 'with M/T'
These TSB's pertain only to the rev-up VQ's that are found in 2005 and newer 6mt's only.

shdowflare 01-14-2008 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Applied Vehicles:

2005 - 2006 G35 Sedan (V35) with M/T
2005 - 2007 G35 Coupe (CV35) with M/T

^First page of TSB.

350Z TSB also states 'with M/T'
These TSB's pertain only to the rev-up VQ's that are found in 2005 and newer 6mt's only.

Good luck to all you guys with the models above. I've got a non-revup VQ with this problem too...so the TSB doesn't help me. But I'm still going for a new engine.

Vblick 01-14-2008 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greasy
If they replace the engine what does that do to the value of my car?

I am wondering the same thing. Also, they DO NOT reset your odometer when they put a new engine in, right?

Yv12345vY 01-14-2008 02:15 PM

Here's another thing, I'm over 15k and switched to synthetic. The stealerships in my area aren't very responsive to synthetic oils. What happens if they just pour regular dyno back in at the TSB??

Vblick 01-14-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Yv12345vY
Here's another thing, I'm over 15k and switched to synthetic. The stealerships in my area aren't very responsive to synthetic oils. What happens if they just pour regular dyno back in at the TSB??

Here's my experience with synthetic so far:

My car has 9k miles on it. After the first oil change at 3.5k miles, I had them replace dyno with synthetic. At 6.5k miles I noticed the oil burning. I discussed it with them and they thought the engine might just burn synthetic since the molecules are smaller etc.. The service manager said it's not a big deal to go back to dyno, so they drained the synthetic and put in dyno and started the oil consumption testing. Well now @ 9k miles, my car has burnt 1.2 qts of dyno oil (over 2k miles, 2 oil tests) After the 2nd test, the infiniti mechanic said "because you had synthetic the damage is already done." I told him "uhh..you guys put it in an never mentioned this being a problem." Seriously, what kind of car can't use synthetic? Anyway, after that I talked with the service manager and she said there isn't a problem. I wouldn't be in jeopardy of not getting a new engine simply because I had synthetic in before. She then told me that they had 1 other 2007 6MT coupe have the engine replaced and that coupe had synthetic in it before they started the consumption tests. After running the consumption tests on his car, with dyno, they gave him a new engine.

If you're that worried about it, just swap out the oil and then take it in. I'm not sure if they can tell if you had synthetic in to begin with unless you had them put it in.

V35 Skyline GT 01-14-2008 04:50 PM

My Dealer endorses Synth. They told me to wait until 15K on VQ before switching, which I did. They've done all my oil services including Synth.
I'm currently in consumption testing with Synth that the Dealer uses (Syntec 5w-30)
Depends on the Dealer I hear. Some will only use Dino during testing.
The other Dealer near me will only use Dino, while my local Dealer says it doesn't matter as long as it's 5w-30.

Notice on our TSB and 350Z TSB too, it says nothing about Dino or Synth. Only states it must be 5w-30 ;)

My VQ has had OC since new while using Dino oil. When switched to Synth at 15K, my OC only worsened a very slight amount.
Don't let any Dealer or tech tell you Synth is the cause of this OC.

Greasy 01-14-2008 07:47 PM

They started my OC test today, and they used synth, as I've always used.

why they even bother is beyond me considering all my oil changes have been at the dealership I bought the car at. Jesus, why would I drain the oil out of my car that has less than 10k on it?

I don't trust them, so when it goes back, I'm parking it in the parking lot for the recommended 30 min, then asking them to come out with me present to test the levels. They seemed determined to tell me that it was okay today. Since when is not having ANY oil on the dip stick okay after 2900 miles? :eek3:

Yv12345vY 01-15-2008 08:59 AM

That's good to know. I was thinking of just having them put dyno back in for the consumption test and then resume with synthetic. I checked my dip stick last night and my oil is a little over half after 2,750k since last change.