G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Tuner & Dyno (https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-dyno-287/)
-   -   tune question (https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-dyno/347563-tune-question.html)

shaunmac9128 08-15-2010 10:18 AM

tune question

New member, I've been reading through the stickies and posts but I have a question. I am coming from a 01 mustang which was able to be tuned with a preloaded tune in a handheld tuner, is that what the uprev osiris is? I was looking on their website at the standard osiris which is $500, which I believe is the same thing as the handheld tuner I am familiar with. Am I right? I can choose from a few different tunes for my car or pay the extra $50 before I order it for the custom tune I want which will come preloaded in it? Thanks for any help.

One more questions instead of starting a new post, anyone have a general idea of how much 05/06 sedans gain from a stillen z-tube intake and osiris tune?

djamps 08-15-2010 01:55 PM

Osiris is nothing like the canned tunes you're used to. It is custom dyno tuning software. You can opt for street tuning via their 'e-tune' service where you do pulls and send them logs and they send you an updated map to load based on needed corrections. Ideally, you should have a certified Uprev dealer create your tune on a dyno.

shaunmac9128 08-15-2010 02:15 PM

So do you need the osiris to get a dynotune? Meaning they need something to tune through they can't openly reflash the ecu? So I can Bettye basic software and just take it to a dynotuner? Any idea on gains from a dynotune and cai?

doeboy 08-15-2010 02:19 PM

My buddy has started doing the Osiris tune but w/o a dyno. He just has the preloaded tunes that he will upload. Is this a good way to tune it for like $300 or should I save up the extra $$ to do a dyno. I have heard they cost around $7-800. I'm not sure if that is correct. I will soon have a powerlab 3/8" spacer, z-tube, drop in apexi filter and test pipes. I think the preloaded ones you can choose what add-ons you have but its not product (MD, Megan, Powerlab...) specific.

jumbosrule 08-15-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by shaunmac9128 (Post 5293479)
So do you need the osiris to get a dynotune? Meaning they need something to tune through they can't openly reflash the ecu? So I can Bettye basic software and just take it to a dynotuner? Any idea on gains from a dynotune and cai?

YOU don't necessarily need UpRev/Osiris - but your tuner will.

CAI + plenum spacer + tune = 25-40 whp, depending on the tuner.

whoozyadaddy7 08-15-2010 03:30 PM

^That better be a good tune to get those numbers

doeboy 08-15-2010 03:43 PM

Maybe he is talking from base line (completely stock) to his mods and tune

shaunmac9128 08-15-2010 04:33 PM

I'm talking stock to a cai and dynotune. And the plenum spacer if it's worth it and affordable. How much is it? What is a good site you guys use for performance stuff as well?

jumbosrule 08-15-2010 05:10 PM

Just my own experience. Dyno tuning can yield +20whp right off the dealer's lot with no bolt ons. VQ has been tamed for the masses.

Infiniti FX35 (VQ35DE)
Stillen CAI, Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer & Stillen dual cat-back

Baseline run with bolt on mods (OEM tune)
After dyno tune

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...dyno021510.jpg

shaunmac9128 08-15-2010 05:19 PM

Awesome bump in low end power. Something weird going on with your a/f ratio though?

jumbosrule 08-15-2010 05:34 PM

A/F was off on the baseline since I was running OEM tune with every bolt on I could find. As soon as the tuner had me up on the dyno he flattened out the A/F and then adjusted timing maps. Difference was absolutely noticeable.

Expect to pay $150 - 250 for the CAI, $100 - 300 for the spacer, and $400 -700 for the tune. Parts are available new and used and from several different aftermarket vendors. I think the most popular intakes are the Stillen's and the JWT's but bunches of options for intakes. For Spacers my vote is Motordyne. No need for fancy iso-thermal upgrades IMO. For the tune, stick with somebody that does Gs and Zs. You want experience - not somebody figuring out software for the first time.

If you can find a shop to do a dyno tune - that's preferable over the "canned" ECU tunes where you send in your ECU for reflash. A little better are the canned tunes that look at logged data and make adjustments based on your engine feedback, but there's no substitute for a loaded dyno because you can tweak it real time, smooth out response & power and command timing changes at the most stressful engine loads.

shaunmac9128 08-15-2010 06:00 PM

$700 for a dynotune?? I've never seen a quote that high before. I was thinking $300-500. I know a good, reputable shop around here that charges $150 an hour for custom dynotuning. Shouldn't take over 3 hours I would assume. I might skip the "cai" and get the z-tube since I've read the cai doesn't gain much and I could put that money towards the spacer. Does a catback gain any on these gars? I wouldn't mind a nice sounding exhaust but I don't plan on dropping that much cash for no performance just sound.

Thanks for the help.

djamps 08-17-2010 04:48 PM

^^ Uprev license is $300 on top of the tune price. So $300 license + $300 dynotune = $600. $600-$700 is pretty standard for a N/A uprev tune.

shaunmac9128 08-17-2010 10:31 PM

That makes sense, my bad. Would a dynotune on a stock car be worth it and make some noticeable gains in a dd?

LMG_35C 08-18-2010 06:04 AM

I have Osiris Standard with Cipher and cable.

Should I expect a Dyno Tuner to provide me the tuned ROM file, locked I imagine, and just charge me for dyno time?