G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Tuner & Dyno (https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-dyno-287/)
-   -   Uprev Q&A (https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-dyno/452696-uprev-q.html)

seymore4 11-30-2015 08:00 PM

Uprev Q&A

If you have any questions about Uprev tuning post em up and I will answer as best I can.

This is not a "teach you how to tune" thread, so please don't ask. :thewave:

ScraggleRock 11-30-2015 09:25 PM

I actually have had a question for awhile that I keep meaning to ask you:

You tuned my car a few months back (car feels outstanding BTW), but I had these idle issues (hunting, sometimes stalling) that turned out to be a dirty MAF. Once a cleaned the MAF, I instantly felt more power (not even joking; it was THAT dirty) and smoother accel and pedal feel.

Anyhow, question being would that have had any effect on the overall tune being that it was done with a dirty MAF? I know Osiris is a learning system so, im wondering if its worked out automatically or if i should retune. Honestly the car feels amazing and I'm getting more MPG and power than ever, but I want my A/F ratio to be correct too.

seymore4 11-30-2015 09:42 PM

If the MAF was that dirty during tuning it could have had an effect on the tune, but as you know the factory ECU does learn to an extent towards the A/F targets that we set in the tune so it could just as easily have worked itself out. If you want to send me some datalogs I'd be more than willing to take a look and make sure its running alright to give you the peace of mind

seymore4 12-01-2015 01:55 PM

I'll PM you. Trying to keep this more of a general Q&A about Uprev

EPiK 12-02-2015 01:55 AM

I picked up the Osiris from Jordan (UrbanEngineer) and have yet to plug it up in my 2003 6mt coupe.
I downloaded the manuals and software for Cipher from the UpRev site and have looked through them though.

So apparently I need to relocate a pin in the OBD2 connector before I plug it up.3 to 14 I think off the top of my head?

Before I pay to have you do a full tune I want to pick up an MD spacer, Iso-thermal for my location. Any recommendations on the thickness?

I'm looking for low-end to mid-range power increases. This car is my daily driver, and I like a responsive car that can squirt through the gaps in tourist traffic here at the beach year round.

Is there any gain in plugging up Cipher as it comes? Without loading an e-tune... in other words, does it change anything out of the box?

I'm not a noob to this, but it has been several years since I tuned on a dyno and I'm out of the loop a bit.

seymore4 12-02-2015 12:03 PM

First a couple comments about the 03's.

Not all of the 2003 sedans are tuneable.. early 03 sedans still use the old style ECU that we can't reflash, you have to physically look at the ECU to verify which one you have.

@EPik Since you have a coupe we can tune it, but as you know you do have to relocate one of the pins on the back of your OBD2 plug before it can be reflashed. If you try and reflash it without relocating the pin bad things happen. There is a DIY on Uprev's site that shows you exactly what to do. This is necessary for both coupes and sedans, also the line between 2003 and 2004 models is kind of blurred.. so its worth checking even if you think you have a 2004.

NONE of the 2003 models have factory widebands, so unless you install an aftermarket wideband or record some dyno runs its impossible to etune it perfectly. Just the reflash does make a difference, but we can't fine tune it perfectly like we can the newer ones.

Cipher is mainly diagnostics.. check and clear codes, play with BCM functions, datalog, etc. You can do some basic stuff like raise the idle rpm and advance the timing a little bit, but there really isn't much you can do performance-wise.

The biggest improvement you will notice from the reflash is removing the factory restriction on the electronic throttle.. that alone makes it a lot more responsive

bkjoseph25 12-04-2015 01:16 AM

Thank you for starting this post. I've got a few questions...

Before reading this post I thought the Osiris tune was just a license you purchased. Is there some sort of hardware I'm getting?

I'm not planning a doing anything beyond a cat-back. Would a tune be worth it? Does it improve mpgs?

If I choose to do small upgrades afterwards do I have to have it retuned? Does that mean I would have to pay full price all over again?

And finally, I see you are on the west coast. Are you located in SoCal by any chance? I'm having trouble finding shops in my area.

Urbanengineer 12-04-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bkjoseph25
Thank you for starting this post. I've got a few questions...

Before reading this post I thought the Osiris tune was just a license you purchased. Is there some sort of hardware I'm getting?

I'm not planning a doing anything beyond a cat-back. Would a tune be worth it? Does it improve mpgs?

If I choose to do small upgrades afterwards do I have to have it retuned? Does that mean I would have to pay full price all over again?

And finally, I see you are on the west coast. Are you located in SoCal by any chance? I'm having trouble finding shops in my area.

If you buy it direct you get a cable that goes with it that carries licenses. If you get it Dyno tuned then you only get a license no cable.

seymore4 12-04-2015 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bkjoseph25 (Post 7033124)

Osiris IS software that you purchase a license to, but you can get it with a reflash cable of your own. This is how we tune guys remotely. Send you the reflash cable (which has a license on it) then you flash the car and we tune it based on datalogs that you record while driving. Local shops will usually just flash a license onto your ECU and perform the tune, but then you have no way to access it yourself or reflash back to stock later on.

Absolutely. Even stock G35's benefit from tuning. Can't guarantee any but typically MPG does increase slightly

Ideally yes you would want to update the tune, but realistically its not necessary for small mods. Anything involving the cats does make a substantial difference tho and you would want to update it. Once you own the license you never have to pay for it again ($300) so retunes are a lot cheaper. This is where owning the cable really shines, if you were dyno tuned the only way to update the tune is to book another dyno appointment and spend $$$.. if you're tuned remotely we just need another set of datalogs and we can touch up the tune.

Unfortunately no I can't handle the traffic down there :D

Hogbone 12-04-2015 09:50 AM

can osiris be used to adjust the shifting of the auto transmission?

seymore4 12-04-2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hogbone (Post 7033155)
can osiris be used to adjust the shifting of the auto transmission?

We can firm up the shifting and make it feel a little more aggressive, (called the line pressure mod by the titan guys) but we have no control over the actual shift points.

DeafBringer 12-04-2015 10:14 PM

So how do I get my 06 sedan 5at tuned by you guys remotely? And how much would it cost?

seymore4 12-04-2015 10:21 PM

I'll PM you, this is mainly a general information/ ask questions thread, not a FS thread :)

Urbanengineer 12-04-2015 10:22 PM

Lol ^ good work Sey.

seymore4 12-04-2015 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 7033335)
Lol ^ good work Sey.

Someone's gotta set the record straight. Been meaning to do this for a while but the forums been pretty dead for a while now so I got bored and decided to just do it. :D

There is way too much bad information out there about Uprev, Osiris, what can and can't be done with the reflash, etc, and it just confuses everyone and makes it hard for legit shops to do business and potential customers to know what they're getting into. Uprev tuning is awesome and can do awesome things for pretty much every G35 out there, but it can also be very confusing and just blindly following what you read online or what the sales guy at your local shop tells you can end up costing you $$$ in the long run.

The profit motive is real and way too many local shops are guilty of misleading customers to their own financial advantage. Especially when it comes to something like ECU tuning that can be made to seem very difficult and confusing. :mad:

If a shop tells you something and it doesn't seem right or you aren't sure, post it up. Right or wrong, I will give you the unbiased truth.