G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   V36 Audio, Video & Electronics (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-audio-video-electronics-375/)
-   -   Project: Aftermarket Backup Camera Install in Factory Location!! (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-audio-video-electronics/393596-project-aftermarket-backup-camera-install-factory-location.html)

KrnMackMattsta 11-10-2011 08:12 PM

Project: Aftermarket Backup Camera Install in Factory Location!!

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed back and forth on the forums, but I haven't yet seen concrete results in regards to installing an aftermarket backup camera in the factory location of the 2nd Gen G35. (I have a 2008 G35x with BOSE and no NAV for your reference).

I convinced myself that I needed a rearview camera, so I started to extensively research and come up with a relatively affordable solution to accomplishing this goal.
I WILL NOT be doing the install myself because I do not have the time nor patience to do it myself, so unfortunately this is not a DIY guide. However, this will provide a list of core items needed and a realistic budget for anyone considering this option.

CORE ITEMS NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION
1. Backup Camera
2. Factory Trunk trim with Camera Hole
3. Video Module (I got mine from AVElectronics – VERY helpful and patient)

PRICE VARIANCE CONSIDERATIONS
Not to be Capt. Obvious here, but the ultimate price of this project varies highly on the following…
  • Installation rates: this could range from $0 (DIY) to whatever hourly rate your local auto electronics installer charges you.
    As a rule of thumb, however, this install should NOT take more than 5 hours. On average, any reputable shop can do this in 3 hours.
    So be weary of shops that overinflate the number of hours needed. If it’s above 5 hours (or even 4 hours), shop elsewhere.
  • Camera Quality: CCD cameras will invariably be higher quality than CMOS and thusly commands a higher retail price. I’m trying to get as factory as I can so I went with a CCD camera.
    But that is not to say that you can’t get a great deal. I got mine for $90. Now if you decide that you absolutely NEED camera grid guides, then you may be forced to go with a CMOS since CCD generally cannot have another picture outlayed on the screen.
  • Trunk Trim: The price obviously depends on whether you get from a stealership or elsewhere. Luckily the guys at 180Custom in NJ (G35nyc.com) had some of these pieces for REALLY cheap (~65 shipped) so I instantly snatched one of these up.
  • Video Module: I went with the base module from AVElectronics, which offers the backup-camera feature as well as an additional Video-In. Their price was by far the cheapest at ~200 + shipping and these guys are well-known, reputable, and very helpful.
    The only caveat is that there are no dynamic parking guides as found in the factory Infiniti module. However, it’s a small price to play since this module is for the most part plug and play.

PRICE SUMMARY
This is not completely indicative of what you will actually pay for the reasons stated above.
Mods, let me know if you need the prices I paid taken off.

Camera: $90 shipped
Trunk Trim: $65 shipped
Module: $213 shipped
Installation: $300 estimated (this is on the high end)
Total with installation estimate : Under 700
Total with just core items: Under 400

So there you have it. I’m going to see if I can get my shop to install this as soon as possible and ask them what sort of issues came up during the installation process.
I understand that all this information is a bit elementary and obvious, but I just wanted to put it on the forums what sort of realistic budget to have when it comes to installing an aftermarket camera in the factory location.

Sorry for the verbosity but in any case, thanks for reading. Feel free to ask any questions.

Paneraiguy 11-10-2011 11:39 PM

I have an 08 2nd gen X sedan with the same options so this will be helpful.

Any reason you didn't go for the video model below for the same price?

KrnMackMattsta 11-11-2011 12:14 AM

Reason why I chose AVElectronics: I knew people that have used their products, and they have awesome customer service. If i have any question at all, they'd answer it all with no hesitation. I guess it was the fact that I actually interacted with them before purchasing, and trust me, I had a lot of questions. haha

G force 11-14-2011 02:03 PM

There was a guy that documented his aftermarket rear back-up camera install as well as another guy who documented his aftermarket nav install using the stock screen. Both came out great, the only downfall of the back-up cam was the guy had to hit the AUX button to activate it but he had a few ideas on how to make it automatic. The pro was he could display the camera while driving (or at least @0mph without the forbidden screen in motion mod).

There's also a guy that got his droid to show up on the stock screen, which has navigation as well.

I applaud all these (including OP's) add-ins as they put the OEM prices to shame.

If I find any of those old links I'll edit them in.

Edit (OP pretty much knows what he's doing, but I thought I'd post for reference):

Can't find the rear camera install, but this might help
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-aud...7-sedan-2.html

Nav install:
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-aud...ternative.html

Droid install:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ncredible.html

KrnMackMattsta 11-14-2011 10:49 PM

Right, so I had my shop install it all within 4 hours this weekend. And as to the post above, I can do ALL of those functions.

- the backup camera comes on automatically when put in reverse.
- I can view anything using my HTC Incredible through the AVElectronic's module by pressing a button to switch to that video input.

Pretty much the install as I have completed is plug and play, provided that you have the patience, aptitude, and time. I'm very happy with the install and I encourage others to go down this route, if they are looking for a factory-like solution. The only issue that arose was that after installation, my Airbag sign on the dash was blinking. But this can be remedied by restarting the ECU code.

I'll try to get a youtube video of everything working. Oh and a pleasant surprise! My backup camera featured a parking guide overlay, which was definitely surprising. It is however, significantly, less utilitarian compared to the adaptive OEM parking guides. But a nice touch, nonetheless.

KrnMackMattsta 11-15-2011 02:04 AM

Here is the Youtube video of it working. Sorry for the long intro.

http://youtu.be/InpIg9TYTEs

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InpIg9TYTEs?version=3&feature=player_profilepage"> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InpIg9TYTEs?version=3&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

jimboG35x 11-15-2011 05:51 AM

nice really nice,this is def the way i wana goo

mishmosh 11-15-2011 04:04 PM

Very nice demonstration video. Seems like a top-notch install and system. The only thing that would give me pause would be the blinking airbag light. Why does it even go off? Is it something with the module or did something get tripped up in the install process? I do not see anything about that in the AVElectronic product page.

KrnMackMattsta 11-15-2011 10:29 PM

My guess is that during the process of taking apart the dash and taking out caused the signal to blink. This same issue occurs when someone tries to do the Video Bypass by taking apart the dash and adjusting the wiring. The shop guys told me that all i need to do is get the ECU reset with the right code.

RemmyZero 11-16-2011 09:42 AM

didn't another member do this over the summer? i'll have to dig back for the thread. either way it's well worth the cash!

as for the airbag signal....i have no idea what they would have disassembled to cause it to blink constantly....if they left the passenger airbag warning harness unplugged behind the stereo face that would cause it, but simply disassembling the dash and re-assembling it shouldn't cause that at all....very interesting....

KrnMackMattsta 11-20-2011 04:25 AM

Took the car to the dealership to reset the airbag signal for NO cost. Turns out if you disconnect a specific connection in the back of the dash without disconnecting the battery, it'll trip the signal. So it was just a matter of resetting the signal.

All perfect now!

mishmosh 11-21-2011 08:51 PM

Sweet! Glad you got that rectified!

DaMeSPaCio 01-06-2012 03:25 PM

This is awesome! I definitely wanna do this.. So far I was able to find everything but the trunk trim panel w/camera hole. Where did you get yours??

DaGdriver 01-06-2012 03:29 PM

Sounds legit

DaMeSPaCio 01-06-2012 03:50 PM

Nvm.. Found the answer in the post. I wonder if they still have more of them available.