Back-up camera, stock screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Back-up camera, stock screen

Has anyone with an '07-08 added a back-up camera and tied it into the stock audio system screen ? The center console has R/W audio inputs along with Yellow input for video. The intent is you can connect something with composite (RCA) cables and watch stuff on the screen. There are safety overrides that will not allow this to display when the vehicle is in Drive.

There is a license-plate light replacement the contains a camera available (from Amazon). It's specified for 350/370Z cars but it fits G35s as well (I've had the license plate light out and visually it looks the same). You tap into the reverse lights so it powers "on" and "off" when the vehicle is put in Reverse. The video cable is then run to the Yellow input in the center console. As I mentioned above, the display will not show anything when the vehicle is in Drive. I presume it will not show anything in Reverse either. Is that correct ? If so, how do I bypass this ?

If this was a few years ago, I'd drag a DVD player out to the garage and connect it to the car with some RCA cables. Actually I think I could still do that.... We'll see.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Has anyone with an '07-08 added a back-up camera and tied it into the stock audio system screen ? The center console has R/W audio inputs along with Yellow input for video. The intent is you can connect something with composite (RCA) cables and watch stuff on the screen. There are safety overrides that will not allow this to display when the vehicle is in Drive.

There is a license-plate light replacement the contains a camera available (from Amazon). It's specified for 350/370Z cars but it fits G35s as well (I've had the license plate light out and visually it looks the same). You tap into the reverse lights so it powers "on" and "off" when the vehicle is put in Reverse. The video cable is then run to the Yellow input in the center console. As I mentioned above, the display will not show anything when the vehicle is in Drive. I presume it will not show anything in Reverse either. Is that correct ? If so, how do I bypass this ?

If this was a few years ago, I'd drag a DVD player out to the garage and connect it to the car with some RCA cables. Actually I think I could still do that.... We'll see.
the only way to make this work is to modify the wiring going to the headunit/display.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Thanks ! Just sent them an email as they don't list prices.... which is a bit scary and probably says something about the cost of their module. We'll see.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this thread is a couple months old, but Hall, if you read this - does your '08 not have a stock backup camera? Or are you just trying to install a better camera in place of the stock unit? Mine is also an '08 G35X, and has a backup camera that activates whenever the shifter is in reverse. Is that an option that some of these cars didn't have?

I wouldn't mind replacing the backup camera with a better one, but maybe the stock nav screen is really the limiting factor on resolution?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:15 PM
I do not have a backup camera. It's only available (stock) with the Navigation package, which I don't have. I've seen a couple people (on Youtube) that added backup cameras using the stock screen and it doesn't look bad at all. Of course, they were using more modern cameras so maybe the 10-year old stock camera technology is the limiting factor. If I did get around to this, I have to solve the issue of the screen turning off if the parking brake isn't depressed or if in reverse when going above a set speed - but that's not allowed to be talked about here because people do the same thing to enable the ability to watch videos, movies, etc while driving.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking all the X models came with the Nav package, but admit I don't know much about the different option packages for these.

Could you simply install a stock nav screen and backup camera? To some degree, a lot of these options are plug and play, but the functionality might have to be unlocked in one of the control modules as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Replacing the audio system screen is way more than I'm interested in doing. The "stock" camera would require either drilling a hole in the (very small) rear-deck spoiler too or replacing it with one that already has the hole. I was just considering something simple like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00J21TN...v_ov_lig_dp_it. I would even just test it by connecting to the AUX port (yellow) in the center console to judge the quality of the camera and the screen. If I was happy, then I would have to get around to properly wiring it up - hiding wires, connecting to the reverse lights so it only gets power when in reverse, and most importantly, setting it up so the screen remains on.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
04 6mt Coupe - motordyne 5/16 ART pipes TDX2; KWv2; Hotchkiss; custom seats.
I know this is a slightly dusty question, but I wired a toggle switch on my truck to use when towing or when bed contents obscure rear views. Switch sends constant 12v from acc to cam at the same time it sends a 12v to the reverse wire in the head unit's wiring harness. I can't remember exactly how I did it (was a few years and many beers ago) but this is the gist:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...nstall-234183/

I guess you question is if there is any other safety in the oem unit and I can't speak to that - my guess is no - but it wouldn't be hard to find out in the return window

Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q50S AWD 3.7
I just did this a couple months ago on my 08 G35X. I followed this guys videos and it works great. My car does not have the navigation option. and no stock backup camera. Bought my camera off ebay for $9. So that was the total cost for me. I installed it all myself. Took about 2 hours total. It works good. You just have to press the aux button when you wanna use the camera. It will not automatically go into camera view just by putting the car in reverse. So it adds another step to use. But it's not like you are in reverse a lot. The camera is pretty good. It is kinda hard to see at night, because my reverse lights are kinda dim. I plan on putting in some newer, super bright led's and maybe that will help. Overall, for $9, I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I found those videos as well. My remaining concern was wire colors and since we're not allowed to discuss this, that's all I'll say other than being glad that you have the same year and model as me....

Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q50S AWD 3.7
did you ever get your camera to work? I love mine. especially now that its cold and the snow has started to fall, I can see without having to clean off my rear window or mirrors

Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Haha ! I need to order it first. Now that it's getting colder, I'm not as big on doing "optional" work ! I could do it at work where I have the space and it's heated though. The way I am too is if I have it, I have to install it. I just can't leave it sitting and wait to do it later.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Ordered and rec'd a couple of days ago. The camera housing doesn't indicate "CCD" like the images and there's no obvious indication that it's a Sony camera like the listing says it uses. I guess at the end of the day, the picture quality is all that matters (though I'd expect some higher level of quality and reliability if it's truly a Sony unit). I'll try and connect it without going in-depth with doing the necessary modifications in the dash and running a wire for power to the reverse lights. Just to see what the video quality looks like....

Speaking of reverse lights, why is it necessary to run the wire all the way to the light housings vs just tapping into the reverse wire in the trunk where it leaves the decklid ? I guess one reason is determining what wire IS for the reverse light.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back-up camera, stock screen