Next Project: Stop Tech BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, you'll see and feel the difference alright! It'll add the bling factor to your car when the huge rotors and the bright colored caliper shows through the wheel spokes.

I've nothing against BBK's. It is one of THE most significant performance mods you can do. Did it on many of my previous cars, bikes and on a lowered full size Chevy with 22's. That was more a necessity since the wheel size to brake ratio was completely thrown off and braking performance pretty much went down the toilet. Whether its lighter and/or bigger rotors with/without complimentary calipers, the performance gains are quite significant and is definitely one of those mods that you can FEEL.

On the G with 20's, though, I, personally, don't feel any drop in braking performance with the plus sizing of the wheel. But then again, I'm not tracking the car or running in any autocross sessions anytime soon, either.

You're right about always having room for improvement, though. Can never have too much braking power. It'll be an awesome mod for sure terry! Looking forward to seeing the updates and pics!

Old 05-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any word on pricing for these?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride
Any word on pricing for these?
I just spoke with the Marketing Manager at StopTech …

Their configuration for the 07 sedan will be:

Front - 355mm x 32mm rotor / ST-40 Caliper ($2595/axle)

Rear – 328mm x 28mm rotor / ST-22 Caliper ($2295/axle)

Drilled rotors are $100/axle

Zn coating on the rotors are $70/axle

Optional caliper colors are $200/axle

Note that prices are RETAIL.

Availability is still TBD with no release date yet. They believe they have enough experience with the G35 / 350Z that they will not need to do full track testing, however, final fit testing still needs to be done.

I’ll keep you guys posted on progress.

Last edited by terrycs; 05-29-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Very nice. That is a great combo.

I think I am going to sell my RB BBK and try out the new K-Sport kits.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Cant wait to see some pictures!!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I just spoke with the Marketing Manager at StopTech …

Their configuration for the 07 sedan will be:

Front - 355mm x 32mm rotor / ST-40 Caliper ($2595/axle)

Rear – 328mm x 28mm rotor / ST-22 Caliper ($2295/axle)

Drilled rotors are $100/axle

Zn coating on the rotors are $70/axle

Optional caliper colors are $200/axle

Note that prices are RETAIL.

Availability is still TBD with no release date yet. They believe they have enough experience with the G35 / 350Z that they will not need to do full track testing, however, final fit testing still needs to be done.

I’ll keep you guys posted on progress.
That seems expensive in the rear for a 13" setup. The front is a great price retail though -- I've seen GD prices around that.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Hikos_G
Cool terry! Sounds like an awesome mod.

But just out of curiosity...is there something wrong with the stock 'S' brake setup/stopping power that you'd have to stuff in 14in rotors and 6 piston calipers? I don't know the difference in stopping power between the non S and S models but I sure don't find it lacking in any way on mine. The brakes are pretty darn awesome.
as stated, other than the lower moment of inertia, the real-world performance benefits are mostly cerebral unless you are road-racing the car and experiencing brake fade. there will be no difference in "stopping power" unless you change your tires....

i like BBKs for their appearance. but i'd buy a whole bunch of other stuff before getting one, anyway...

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Altersys
i like BBKs for their appearance. but i'd buy a whole bunch of other stuff before getting one, anyway...
+1

Like a nice set of wheels to show them off... not to mention to fit them.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
nah, i likes me the stock 18 inch wheels.

i dont like adding a lot of weight to the unsprung mass... it seems silly to me to spend $$$$'s to get lower performance.

but that.s just me

Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 AM
nah, i likes me the stock 18 inch wheels.

i dont like adding a lot of weight to the unsprung mass... it seems silly to me to spend $$$$'s to get lower performance.

but that.s just me
You can get light-weight 19s that weight the same or less than the stock 18s. And the 2 piece rotors will save you on the unsprung weight department.

Put in your order today!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by viguera
You can get light-weight 19s that weight the same or less than the stock 18s. And the 2 piece rotors will save you on the unsprung weight department.

Put in your order today!

I'll be getting them as soon as possible when they are finhished with R&D. I have been working on custom 20" wheels for a while now with a couple of manufacturers, but the BBK has to be done before the wheel project is finished (hence the reason I've been drooling on the sidelines as all you guys are upgrading to +1 and +2 wheels!). I want to make sure the caliper profile is finalized before I start stuffing tires in there.

One of the big everyday improvements I'm looking for in a BBK is the weight savings. My nephew has a coupe with 20" Iforged and he swears up and down that his car accelerates slower because of the heavier aftermarket wheels. In my case, when I go to 20" forged aftermarket wheels, I am hoping for at least "equivalent" acceleration as with stock wheels/tires/brakes. Of course, this may or may not happen depending on the total intertia of the rotating mass.

I also thought this would be a nice but subtle cosmetic change. Now I have to also figure out what color calipers to get as well!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by viguera
+1

Like a nice set of wheels to show them off... not to mention to fit them.
I'm still ponder over what to do about the 17" spare as well. I wonder what the spare looks like in the upcoming G37?

Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM

as stated, other than the lower moment of inertia, the real-world performance benefits are mostly cerebral unless you are road-racing the car and experiencing brake fade. there will be no difference in "stopping power" unless you change your tires....

I agree ... after market wheels too! Although these BBKs should fit the stocks (but we'll see).

Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
LOOKS good STOPTECH makes a good product

Last edited by UltimateGee27; 05-30-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I'm still ponder over what to do about the 17" spare as well. I wonder what the spare looks like in the upcoming G37?
Wait, doesn't the sport come with 14" rotors in the front? What does the spare look like on that car?

And to tell you the truth, I haven't even looked at my spare. I hope it's there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Project: Stop Tech BBK