Next Project: Stop Tech BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
Wait, doesn't the sport come with 14" rotors in the front? What does the spare look like on that car?

And to tell you the truth, I haven't even looked at my spare. I hope it's there.
07 Sport sedan comes with 13" rotors w/ 2 piston calipers front/back. The upcoming G37 coupe will have 14" 4 piston calipers up front.

The 07 Journey/AWD has a smaller set-up than the Sport version does.

The spare should be on a 17" black alloy wheel (I haven't actually looked at mine either )

Last edited by terrycs; 08-27-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We Got The Hottest Looking Black Spare Wheel On The Market!!!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
07 Sport sedan comes with 13" rotors w/ 2 pison calipers front/back. The upcoming G37 coupe will have 14" 4 piston calipers up front.

The 07 Journey/AWD has a smaller set-up than the Sport version does.

The spare should be on a 17" black alloy wheel (I haven't actually looked at mine either )
Ah thanks... I thought it was 13.6 and 14 for the Sport, but I remember now it's something like 12.6 and 13 for the Sport.

14" is a lot of brake to fit back there... but it would look hot as hell. But yeah, it would be stupid as hell to do this and then end up stranded waiting for a tow. I guess you can get a full sized 19" spare... ouch.

Or you can try the double-swap...

Assuming that the 17" spare clears the rear -- you can swap twice. I know of people that do this for the same reason.

You get a flat in the rear, no sweat -- put in the spare. You get a flat in the front, you put the spare in the rear and get a rear wheel and put it up front.

Assuming you're not staggered...

and assuming the 17" spare clears the rear rotors...

and assuming you'd rather do two swaps instead of calling for the tow.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:11 AM

Well, I just confirmed the spare will not go over the new proposed front calipers. The rear calipers will clear.

The cool looking spare:

The caliper template in the cool looking spare:

The double swap idea was great, but I'm going to have at least a 275 in the rear so this probably won't work.

So what do others do?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
nothing yet, because no one has done anything like this to the 07 yet AFAIK. you get to figure it out and be the guinea pig.

BTW, when are you gonna get these out on? i know you're waiting to get new wheels, but any idea?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
The double swap idea was great, but I'm going to have at least a 275 in the rear so this probably won't work.

So what do others do?
Call for a tow.

Seriously though... you're gonna have to eat it or forget about it, that's what people with BBKs though.

You can get a uni-directional 8.5 tire on an open wheel that clears the caliper and use it as a spare. This is not permanent, just like our spare isn't supposed to be a permanent solution. It's supposed to get you moving so you can get off the road and get your tire/wheel fixed.

I just had a the driver front wheel destroyed by a pothole last week, and I can say that I'm happy as a clam that I don't have a BBK with that OEM spare. It was on a restricted road and Infiniti roadside would only tow me to the closer dealership, so I would have had to have the car towed home out of pocket.

Whenever the BBK business is figured out, I'm lucky enough to be running non-staggered and my plan is to grab a wheel that clears it and put it in the trunk. OEM spare be damned.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 PM

The lastest info on this project:

Hardware is all finished and in-house at Stop Tech and ready for installation.

I took my brake templates and went to my local Infiniti dealer to check out the spare in the G37 coupe. I learned the Journey spare will not work, but the spare in the G37 sport will work. The shocker is the spare wheel itself is about $700! Maybe time for another visit to DPE?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Stock "S" brakes are 13 inch. the BBK is 13 as well? Am I missing something here?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
One of the big everyday improvements I'm looking for in a BBK is the weight savings. My nephew has a coupe with 20" Iforged and he swears up and down that his car accelerates slower because of the heavier aftermarket wheels. In my case, when I go to 20" forged aftermarket wheels, I am hoping for at least "equivalent" acceleration as with stock wheels/tires/brakes. Of course, this may or may not happen depending on the total intertia of the rotating mass.

terry I will assure you that your nephew isnt out of his mind one bit. I put 20's on my car and the acceleration def is slower. I remember when me and my friend both had our 06 coupes, I had the stock sport 19's on it, and he threw a set of 20's and he always complained how the car was sluggish. Now that I have 20's on my car I really see what he means. BBK are a sick MOD, I personally wouldnt do it because I lease, so its just to expensive to throw onto a leased vehicle. Good luck with the kit though, and post some results.

Rocco

Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hikos_G
Stock "S" brakes are 13 inch. the BBK is 13 as well? Am I missing something here?
Yes, read the first post.

Total diameter is one of the LEAST relavant items when discussing brakes.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Stock sport rotors are 13" front and 13" back. The Stop Tech kit will be 14" up front and 13" in back (but significantly thicker rotors).

The G37 has 14" rotors stock, so that is why I was looking at the G37 spare tire to replace my sedan spare wheel/tire to make sure it will fit over the Stop Tech 14" hardware.

Originally Posted by Hikos_G

Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Install date set for 9/20 - can't wait!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Install date set for 9/20 - can't wait!
You lucky dog... if you lived closer I'd steal your brakes.

That'd be a first... find the car on blocks and the wheels neatly packaged next to it... but your BBK is gone.

Any idea on final pricing/group discounts?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
You lucky dog... if you lived closer I'd steal your brakes.

That'd be a first... find the car on blocks and the wheels neatly packaged next to it... but your BBK is gone.
You must not have seen his wheels. If you did, you'd take the wheels too!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You must not have seen his wheels. If you did, you'd take the wheels too!
Well believe it or not, I actually like my wheels better than his... and I can't go staggered since I have the X.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Project: Stop Tech BBK