Next Project: Stop Tech BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
That would be an interesting picture. I guess I'm lucky you live on the other coast!

From what I've heard, Stop Tech is usually very strict about retail pricing. BUT ... you never know, so with that, let me see what I can find out for you guys on Thursday.

Originally Posted by viguera
You lucky dog... if you lived closer I'd steal your brakes.

That'd be a first... find the car on blocks and the wheels neatly packaged next to it... but your BBK is gone.

Any idea on final pricing/group discounts?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Installation Complete!

It took about 5 hours, but for sure it could have gone a lot faster. I guess it took longer than normal because they had to take pictures for their installation instructions along the way.

I was told that the stock brakes on the Sport did well for normal driving. We then did a bunch of hard stops on the stock system so the engineer can get a feel for it. After 4 or 5 max force applications to engage the ABS, we could smell the brakes.

I wasn't allowed in the shop area to watch the whole install but they installed the fronts first, then tested. Then they installed the rears, then tested again.

When the install was completed, we loaded the stock sytem (boxed) into my trunk. I can say the front set in the box was VERY heavy .. pretty sure significantly more than 45 pounds (since I can pretty easily handle a large plate used for weight training).

On the way home in normal driving, the new brakes felt and behaved pretty much the same as stock. Maybe a teeny bit more firm feel because of the braided stainless lines on all 4 corners. Unfortunately, I got home kinda late and didn't even have time to properly bed in the rotors so I can't really comment on how they stop yet.

I asked about pricing and they said they do not sell direct to the public. I later asked about recommended retailers, but was told a lot of times retail pricing depends on things like how retailers bundle the kits. In short, I could not get solid pricing information. Seems like if people are really planning a group buy ... the best thing to do is work with a retailer. As of today, this kit is released to production so you can order if interested.

Some pics:

Full Front Kit (one side):

Front Caliper:

View of Rear:

View of Front:

Rear Closeup:

Front Closeup:

Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! Awesome Terry! Those BBK Looks Awesome with your Rims! Man you did alot of nice Mods this Month! Please tell us how the brakes work and feel over the Stockers once you Bed In the brakes! Man Wish I had the $$$ for my Rims Now, Car looks so Sick with the Rims and BBK! What's Next on the Mod list!? LOL.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sweet!!! need price... now... please... hurry...

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
wow those looks sweet

Old 09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Bad Toro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very NICE!

Although, if it were me I'd go with 5 or 7 spoke wheels instead. The wheels look too busy and sort of hide the beefy calipers. But overall looks great!

Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 PM

When I got the brakes installed, they already did the bed in procedure for me but told me the rear could have deposited a little more.

I decided to do it again so in the middle of the night; I found myself a deserted industrial park with no one around and drove around like a maniac. The bed in procedure is essentially 10 hard (to near ABS activation) brake applications in a row going from 60 to 10 mph, followed by cool down, followed by 10 more applications in a row. I actually engaged the ABS a few times and can say the pedal feel is not as “jarring” as on earlier ABS systems.

I thought there would be a stronger brake smell as there was when we tested the stock brakes, but there wasn’t. My guess is this could be caused by the fact they did this procedure once for me already after the new brakes were installed OR because I never did it to the stock brakes. For those that do not know, the bed in procedure essentially heats up the pads and deposits a layer of pad material onto the rotors which is supposed to outgas the pads of mold material, reduce brake squealing and provides a more consistent stop.

After I finished and allowed the brakes to cool down, I thought for kicks I would look at the fuel economy. I managed to get it down to 10mpg which I thought was kind of amusing .

The next morning, I checked out the rotors and I could see a faint gray-brown layer on the front rotors and an "uneven" layer on the rear rotors. I called StopTech to see if this was going to be a problem and they said this is totally normal because of the high bias of front braking on the sedan. I also learned that bedding in brakes is VERY messy ... my wheels were covered with brake dust!

I was told earlier that they size their calipers and pistons to try and maintain the stock brake bias. Of course, now I’m starting to wonder if there is an adjustable proportioning valve somewhere in my car to dial in more rear brakes … but I haven’t had a chance to call StopTech yet to see what the ramifications would be .

The overall pedal feel is the same as the stock brakes.

Last edited by terrycs; 09-23-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 PM

I had the same idea ... I was actually considering the DPE LS5 without rivets before I went with the S-10.

Originally Posted by SPEEED
Very NICE!

Although, if it were me I'd go with 5 or 7 spoke wheels instead. The wheels look too busy and sort of hide the beefy calipers. But overall looks great!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um terry, yeah, um, frickin AWESOME First some new shoes for myself, then, the BBK!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Sorry to revive this thread .... if any of you 07+ owners in the L.A. area are interested in a BBK, Stoptech called and wants to try out their 6 piston front / 4 piston rear kit. You'll be offered a hefty discount if you want to keep the hardware. I already have a kit so I thought I'd pass this on, but if there are no takers, I'll help them out. PM me if interested.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I'd like to jump on that, I could probably get my G up there and leave it for a little while.
What's the deal exactly? How long do they need the car? what size wheels are needed to clear the kit? How long do they need the car and when do they need it?
Sorry for all the questions,
I'm a big fan of big brakes. 6-piston calipers are uber sexy!
These are 14" rotors with 18" wheels on my 98 Impreza coupe.

It's my pet project car, should be done in a few weeks.

I Like big brakes more than big wheels.
I sent you a pm about the BBK.

Last edited by John2.5RS; 10-24-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Looks great man...nice setup.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Good news and bad news ...

Good news is was only for a test fit ... they would have only needed the car for no more than 8 hours. I got about 50% off on mine when I did it.

Bad news is someone from the G37 forum took them up on their offer.

Sorry everyone.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW; adding an adjustable prop valve cannot make for more rear braking. I can alter the oem set up some but will never add brake. That comes from the math used to calculate the final products front and rear. Adding the valve (and removing any stock ones, very consuming) can only limit the amount of pressure you allow the rears to receive.

You'd need to plot the oem knee point to see if at very low pressures you'd gain anything. Street driving a small gain perhaps, but spirited; unlikely.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Terry,

So all in all would you recommend the BBK ? How are you impressions after a couple of months with them? Im really looking to buy the AP RACING 14.25 in the front and 13 in the rear, and i also dont want to have the problem of the spare tire...since my 20's are staggard

What was your final verdict on the spare tire?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Project: Stop Tech BBK