G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   V36 DIY (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy-378/)
-   -   DIY: Drivers Door Keyhole Cover (https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy/299601-diy-drivers-door-keyhole-cover.html)

terrycs 10-28-2007 02:14 PM

DIY: Drivers Door Keyhole Cover

*I take ZERO responsibility if you fcuk up your car following these directions*

Lock your door.

Pull the door handle as if you were going to open it, then put a rolled up towel in-between the handle and the door to keep it open.

Then using the pic below as reference, use a small flathead screwdriver or what ever you have that is able to get into the space to lift the tab up. As you are lifting the tab, pull on the cover to remove it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2314/...e3186c01_b.jpg

When you receive the part it comes attached to the mounting plate. See pic below. You are going to have to follow the same procedure to remove it from the mounting plate as you will when you take it off the car. This will give you an understanding of what you need to do on the car to remove it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2273/...4cb95f69_b.jpg

B L U E S L A T E 10-28-2007 03:56 PM

Good find Terry! ;D I might just have to do this, too.... :cool:

TheIvoryG 10-31-2007 12:42 PM

Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly...but aren't these just covers, so the keyhole is still there and can be easily accessed by just popping off the cover again if your key dies? Yes...that allows thieves to get to the keyhole quickly, but also allows you to get to it if needed as well.

My feeling is that there is no way to avoid all thieves tricks, someone else said it that they will jsut bust your window if they really want to get in. I'm just more worried about ME being able to get in if my FOB dies.

gymcshoe 11-03-2007 03:28 PM

I ponied up and purchased this from Riverside Infiniti. Installed in less than 5 mintues. This just covers the key hole up as stated previously. I think it makes a clean look. (car needs to be washed but wanted to post up some pics first)

TheIvoryG 11-04-2007 12:20 AM

gymcshoe you rock...thank you for my official confirmation. And yes I too think it looks great. And I don't like it as a security device, but just to make it clean. Very nice...mine will be coming soon too!

stanfna 11-04-2007 09:03 PM

I have been thinking about ordering this for a while and think i share the same concern that one day the battery in the remote is going to die & we are going to be locked out. well, instead of figuring a way to remove the part...why not just tape a spare remote battery to the back of your license plate? the batteries are flat enough that a small strip of duct tape should cover it up. can anyone think of why this would be a bad idea?

07IMLG 11-04-2007 09:09 PM

it is easy too take off, if your battery ever goes dead. also looks a lot cleaner.

808MIKE 11-04-2007 09:19 PM

OK I can confirm this Also, that this New cover, Will cover the Factory Key hole! So I am going to Reinstall my Locking Mechanism, and just put the cover over it! :biggthumpup: But I wonder How hard it would be to tae off that Cover to access the Key hole in case the Car Battery Dies?? I tried a little to see if I could pop off the cover while it was on the car, and I seen the cover move, but guess you half to get the right angle to pop it off, and not damage your door in the Process! Since it's a very tight squeeze in there, and you need a very small screwdriver to slide in there, and I was afraid to pry any harder, LOL. HAs anyone tried to pop it off while on the car?? :eek3:

@stanfna..

yes that would be a good Idea, but the Remote will not help you out if the main Car Battery Dead! Thats the scary part! If you can't access the Key Hole, and your car Batt Is dead, a Good strong Remote batt will not Open the Car, LOL. But that a good back-up plan to have for a Spare Remote Batt! I may think about doing that! :icon38:

gymcshoe 11-04-2007 09:42 PM

how about duct taping a little flathead screw driver behind the license plate so you can use it to remove the cover in case the car battery dies?

TheIvoryG 11-09-2007 07:27 PM

I jumped on this as well. Thanks to everybody for their feedback on it, and to Jason @ Riverside. Goes on and off super easy, and definitely makes it a nice clean look. Glad I did it...

ti_rider 11-09-2007 09:07 PM

I suppose your car battery is most likely to die when the car has been parked at your house for a while. I would probably just drill out the cover to access the keyhole, and destroy the cover.

I could always buy a new one, and I wouldn't risk scratching the paint on the door trying to pop off the cover.

Hopefully the issue just wouldn't come up.

TheIvoryG 11-10-2007 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ti_rider
I suppose your car battery is most likely to die when the car has been parked at your house for a while. I would probably just drill out the cover to access the keyhole, and destroy the cover.

I could always buy a new one, and I wouldn't risk scratching the paint on the door trying to pop off the cover.

Hopefully the issue just wouldn't come up.

No worries about scratching paint...its really easy to pop this cover off...literally takes a flathead screwdriver and 10 seconds.

terrycs 11-10-2007 10:50 AM

If it's not too much trouble, can you (or someone thats done this) take a snapshot of where to insert the screwdriver for removal using the right size screw driver? The pics of the part by themselves wasn't too obvious.

I'm sure it would make sense after I bought the part, but I just wanted to see before going though the hassle.

Thanks

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
No worries about scratching paint...its really easy to pop this cover off...literally takes a flathead screwdriver and 10 seconds.

TheIvoryG 11-12-2007 11:54 AM

These pics you found are actually perfect. On the first pic, you instert right where the red circle is to lift up the small tab that's holding the cover on. I used a slightly smaller than standard screwdriver. Smaller the better I think as mine was probably a tad too big. Definitely don't need glasses screwdriver though. Just a typical small flathead screwdriver. The 2nd pic is actually the lock plus the cover so you can get a better idea of what that little clip looks like.

I hope this helps. I went to take pics, but these are seriously as perfect as you can get.

Jason@Riverside 11-30-2007 12:49 PM

yes it can pop rite off and you can access your key hole!

This is available for the 07-08 G Sedan, 03-07 Coupe, G37 AND M35 / M45!