DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You A BUNCH For This DIY, Learned More About My Car, Ran Into A Small Bump With THe Hose And Nipple Under The ZTube Broke Off And Had To JB Weld It Back On But Everything Is Working And Responsive And Smooth Idle, Once Again Thanks For The Help And Teaching Me More About My G35, You Guys Are The Best

Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah man, the DIYs here are excellent! i hope i get to contribute some more over time.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomPeters
The problem I have is that the throttle response is about 1 second behind. If I am going 30 mph in 3rd and let off the gas it takes 1 sec for the car to back off and jerks noticable hard. Another example would be reving up the car in neutral up to 3k rpms and then letting off the gas. The car will continue to idle at 3k rpms for 1 sec or two and then drop down to 1200 rpms for a sec before dropping back down and staying at 800 rpms..... weird.
I have this same issue... let off the gas and it takes a full second for the car to react/decelerate. Did cleaning the TB fix this?

Or is this purely an electronic thing? How can I fix this because aside from annoying it's not really safe.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by NYT
I have this same issue... let off the gas and it takes a full second for the car to react/decelerate. Did cleaning the TB fix this?

Or is this purely an electronic thing? How can I fix this because aside from annoying it's not really safe.

Just finished the tb cleaning ('twas dirtty!!). Had the same issue with the Respose time acc and dec. Did the zero position relearn and all is good!
Note: was reving at 800rpm. Now at 600 rpm after relearn.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I've been having issues taking off the 2 screws on the bottom. I can put in the allen key, but don't have enough room to turn it. How do you guys take it off?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I unscrewed the clamp and removed the large air intake tubes on each Throttle body. That gave me plenty of room. Only problem was when I unhoooked the drivers side,I did have to rock them a bit to jar them loose. it pulled a smaller tube off. I think that is what messed up my idle.

Side note, I don't know if they were stock clamps, but my screw came out and I had to get a magnetic wand to retrieve it. Push down on the screw as you unscrew it.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM
MotorWeek had a tip on how to avoid throwing the programming off when cleaning the throttle bodies. Their advice was to turn the key on and have a helper depress the throtle to open the throttle bodies while you clean them. This wouldn't be easy, but if you are desperately trying to avoid having to reprogram the throttle plate position this just may be the way to do it.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 AM
I Left My Harness On While I Cleaned Mine, Had To Use A Medium Extenstion Bit For The Allen Key For The TB, But I Did Take Out My Z-Tube And All, Everything Is All Good Over Here, Throttle Response Is Def Better, Even With My Heat Soak On My JWT It Picks Up Good, And Now Its Getting Cold Here In Florida, Its Really Starting To Work Well With The JWT Since My Heat Soak Is Reducing,

Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
just cleaned the TB and car still hesitates on stops and now when the car is in park it revs up 2000 on its own then drops back down then back up kinda like im revving it myself

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by pbabajan
just cleaned the TB and car still hesitates on stops and now when the car is in park it revs up 2000 on its own then drops back down then back up kinda like im revving it myself
2 things it could be:

1 is u need a new tb
2 might just need to do a tb relearn AND zero position relearn.

Do both relearns and post back?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM
actually just drove it again and its not hesitating its just idleing high and reving up from 1200 to 1800rpm, did one of the relearns gonna try the other

one guy posted a vid with the same problem and it fixed itself with time so we'll see what happens if this relearn doesnt work

thanks for the quick response!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by pbabajan
actually just drove it again and its not hesitating its just idleing high and reving up from 1200 to 1800rpm, did one of the relearns gonna try the other

one guy posted a vid with the same problem and it fixed itself with time so we'll see what happens if this relearn doesnt work

thanks for the quick response!
Np. I'm qurious to see what ur idle is when it's in gear and park??. Hope it works for u?
Post back results?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
when its in park or nuetral it revs up to 1800 slowly then drops to 1200, this just keeps repeating...when in drive at a stop it idles at around 1000

i really hope time will fix this as well if not then its ok i got warranty still! will keep updated!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cleaned mine recently and now on cold starts it revs to about 2k per usual but then starts dropping down quicker than usual to about 1400 and starts sputtering. Feels like its gonna die but then catches itself revs back to 2k for the usual warm up. Ideas? Here's a quick vid I took the other morning. You can kinda hear it if you turn the volume up all the way.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I realize it's a pretty long thread by now but rest assured if you read into it enough, instructions on how to fix the condition are posted within the pages of this thread.
Just about anyone who was capable enough to perform the cleaning procedure itself can perform the relearn procedure afterwards. It's not easy, but with enough practice it should become second nature. The relearn procedure actually reminded me of when I first tried punching in a cheater code into a Sega Genesis video game back in the early 90s. It is time critical and needs to be done exactly per instructions. The feeling of accomplishment when the car starts up and idles like it should is very similar. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies