DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would start with my last posts as I had to relearn my system and it was a Bitch ;( But on the bright side, many have done it with ease I started with post #320 and figured it out a few posts later.

Best advice to relearn your idle is do the steps over until your light stays SES light stays off and your idle stays normal. I thought I was in the clear but after 70 miles or so the ses light came on and the idle went high, but all is good now(knock on fricking wood). My idle is now at around 750ish and car runs great.

Last edited by MPohio; 10-10-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
http://youtu.be/HjMLtNyy6KU

this is exaxtly what mine is doing, did relearn a lot of times still hasnt fixed, should i just keep on doing it til it fixes oorrrrrr..........

Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
It sounds like it to me. Keep trying the re-learn. My SES light finally went of and the idle worked fine after that. Mine was definately a pain in the azz.

The following users liked this post:
pbabajan (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
It took me two hours and countless attempts to finally get it right. Keep trying.

pbabajan (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM
You will know it, when it happens. If you "think" you got it, you probably don't.

Luckily it is only a 2 minute ish process

The following 2 users liked this post by MPohio:
pbabajan (10-11-2011), stinky (10-17-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM
lol for sure, thanks guys i'll keep trying....wish me luck

update: just tried it sooooo many times for around 30 min! no luck! am i missing something here? this is exactly what i did everytime....

turn on, wait 3 secs. floor it 5 times fast, wait 7 sec. then floor it and hold it down til the light stops blinking, start the car

used a timer and still no luck at all

Last edited by pbabajan; 10-12-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
i really dont know what to do anymore, tried relearn definently over a hundred times and still no luck! did everyone get this problem fixed with the relearn?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Well if you read through the entire thread you will see that there are only two real solutions, keep doing the relearn until you get it 100% right(as u can see with some previous posters they thought they did the relearn right after a dozen tries but it dint fix anything until they kept trying and actually got it right with the timing) Second solution is to do it through Consult through dealership or mechanic = $$

My advice is to keep at it!

pbabajan (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
daaaaaamn! what a pain in the ***! ok well i'll keep trying! thanks for ur help!

if it doesnt work after a few hundred more times i'll take it under warranty! u think if i tell em the truth at the stealership, they would fix it for me anyways? or just tell em idk what happened?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
seriously, it is all about timing(use a watch). I tried to post my experience over the last couple or so pages. I finally got it done, but it was a PITA.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by pbabajan
daaaaaamn! what a pain in the ***! ok well i'll keep trying! thanks for ur help!

if it doesnt work after a few hundred more times i'll take it under warranty! u think if i tell em the truth at the stealership, they would fix it for me anyways? or just tell em idk what happened?
If you tell em the 'truth' then most dealerships will take advantage of it and charge you a lot to get it fixed even though its a 5min job with consult, also some have said that driving it hard for a couple of days cured the issues.

I personally have cleaned TB for many different G's and have done the relearn atleast over 200 times and yet it takes me 2-3 times even now to get it spot on...

If you still dont get it then go to your regional forum and find someone whos done this a gazillion times and meet up with him and have him help you and if all else fails then you have no choice but to go to the dealership...

Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I did the TB cleaning procedure but cheated a bit. I used the 3M kit and didn't remove the driver's side TB, just let the spray go in that side and then cleaned up afterwards with carb cleaner, rags and toothbrush. Removed passenger side TB and gave a thorough cleaning (I have ~42K and it was pretty grimy).

I had SES and high idle (~1100ish). Follow MPohio's directions once, without a watch. Waited approximately 3 seconds, 5 fast stomps, counted to 7, and then held it down for more than 20 seconds (kind of spaced out while holding it). Turned it off, waited maybe 10 seconds, started the engine.

Through a healthy dose of luck and excellent directions (no skill here), my car is now happily idleing a a smooth ~650.

Thanks!

PS: gonna go for a short drive to gas 'er up and verify everything stuck

-----------

Drove about 7 miles. Gassed up. All good! Car was idling rough, especially at stoplights. Yesterday at a light my 4 yr old said to me "I think the ground moved again." Figured it was time to do the deed. ;-)

Originally Posted by MPohio
WOO HOO, OK, knock on wood(no seriously), It is fixed

I will give my fresh advice for anybody else.

I unplugged the battery for 20 minutes first to reset the SES light. I drove it about 10 miles and let it set for 1/2 hour(not sure if this helped but at least do the battery disconnect). Make sure everything in the car is turned off before starting the relearns(AC, Radio...)

Do both of the steps below
Accelerator relearn
1.) Foot off the pedal(Turn on(not the engine) 2 seconds, off 10 sec, on 2, off 10sec. Timing isn't crucial in this step.

Idle relearn
1.) Turn the ignition(not engine)on for 3 seconds( thousand 1, thous 2,..) after 3 seconds, As quick as you can, stomp then release the pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
2.) after 5 tmes, with foot off of accelerator, count 7 seconds(thousand 1 thousand 2... 7) (I think this is where the SES light came on solid)
3.) ((This is the most crucial step))after the previous 7 seconds, Step on and hold down the accelerator for about 20ish seconds and release when SES light is solid, The light will start solid, then blink fast, then blink slowly(may repeat both blinks) then eventualy it will go solid(this is when you let off the acc and start the car immediatley. If you did it correctly, the SES light will go off and the car will idle at about 8.5kish. Leave it run for at least 20 seconds.

If not, repeat the steps after the car is off for a minute or two.(may want to do battery disconnect after a few tries(don't know how crucial this is, but it is how I did mine).
Notes:
1.) Start with the Negative battery cable unplugged for at least 10 minutes. and do the Accelerator learn

2.) If in step 3, your light goes solid at 10seconds(ish) you did it wrong. You need to have it go fast blink, slow blink.... then solid, If it stays on after your done, you did it wrong.

Good luck

Last edited by stinky; 10-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Glad you got it going. I was amazed at my rev after I had gotten everything fixed. It must have dropped 200ish rpm, but it runs smooth as silk now

Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
ok guys i did the relearn and the ses light came off as i started it and my idle is at the line under 1000, feels better than usual but i still feel the downshifts sometimes not as much as before but gonna drive on it for some time to see what happens!

thanks again for all the help! will keep updated!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM
as long as the idle is fixed it means that the relearn worked, the shifts should return back to normal after a few days as the ecu learns ur driving habits and configures shift points etc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies