DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Try erasing the code first. If it comes back then the problem still persists.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I took off the filters to wash them so thought id just clean the tb from the front only while i waited for the filters to dry given it was so cold and i didnt want to spend an hour cleaning them by having to remove them like last time and i dint have replacement o rings either.

Anyways i was actually able to squeeze my finger through the TB to be able to clean it very nicely from both sides and i moved the living daylights out of the butterfly valve to clean properly from the inside at times holding it open with one finger while cleaning and did not have to reset anything and have rock solid idle again and smooth acceleration.

While its best to removejthe TBs to clean properly Just a note for those who are afraid to take off the TB or have time constraint you can do it without removing it and you still get the same/similar results and hopefully you dont have to reset anything after BUT i can not guarantee that given the inconsistent history of this thread so do at your own risk!!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
The pedal dance is only to set the idle, if you have that set ok, then you need to just clear the codes.

Also, 800 is too high. 650

Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomb0314
okay guys I need a little bit of help. I went thru and cleaned my throttle bodies without disconnecting the battery or the harness. I did open/move the butterfly slightly to clean in/around them. I drove around for a bit and it ran fine but then threw the P0507 code.

I have done the peddle dance couple hundred times without any luck. I did get it once but when I turned the car off and restarted it couple mins later, the light came back on. Last night, I disconnected the battery and both harnesses over night and did the reset/peddle dance today morning without luck. I have finally got the car to idle around ~800rpm, but my CEL light is still on. I'm scared to try the peddle dance again because I finally got the RPM correct. Would driving around for a while make the CEL go away or getting a scanner tool and erasing the code work?

If anyone is in DFW and would like to help me do the peddle dance this afternoon or next couple days, that would be great (just send me a PM).
And if anyone is in Houston and would like to help me next weekend or a weekend after that, PM me. (hopefully I can get it fixed before that)
I dont think 800 is the normal range. Thats what my car idles at now and cant get it to go any lower. It was about 500-600 before cleabing my TB's. Dealer couldnt even get it to go anymore. Driving it with the CEL on will not hurt it.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
800 is *not* normal range, it's 650, give or take a small amount, i think it's 50RPM.

I had a heck of a time getting it to stay down there, turned out to be voltage whilst under learning, i'm sure i've posted this earlier in the thread?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
okay guys I need a little bit of help. I went thru and cleaned my throttle bodies without disconnecting the battery or the harness. I did open/move the butterfly slightly to clean in/around them. I drove around for a bit and it ran fine but then threw the P0507 code.

I have done the peddle dance couple hundred times without any luck. I did get it once but when I turned the car off and restarted it couple mins later, the light came back on. Last night, I disconnected the battery and both harnesses over night and did the reset/peddle dance today morning without luck. I have finally got the car to idle around ~800rpm, but my CEL light is still on. I'm scared to try the peddle dance again because I finally got the RPM correct. Would driving around for a while make the CEL go away or getting a scanner tool and erasing the code work?

If anyone is in DFW and would like to help me do the peddle dance this afternoon or next couple days, that would be great (just send me a PM).
And if anyone is in Houston and would like to help me next weekend or a weekend after that, PM me. (hopefully I can get it fixed before that)

Here ya go try this. I did this and it worked perfect. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-cleaning.html

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my RPM stays stable around 750-800rpm. I was able to get a scanner and erase the code, then drove 250 miles (Houston to Dallas)... CEL stayed off and idle seems good, even thou its not down to 650. I think I'll stick to this rather than trying to mess with it again and getting stuck again.
the 250 miles was at about 80mph and I averaged 23-24mpg, is this normal?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
If you were just cruising, no, sounds a little low, but it's not bad at all.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper699
Here ya go try this. I did this and it worked perfect. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-cleaning.html
^^ That was done on your V35. Do you know if it works as well on the V36?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
If you were just cruising, no, sounds a little low, but it's not bad at all.
Yeah I was just cruising. I reset my mpg gauge when I first got on the highway. First doing 70-75mph I was getting ~24-25mpg but once I started doing 80mph I was getting 23mpg. I had my ICC set most of the way. What could I do to improve my mpg?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
ICC?

Service, good oil, brakes service, bearing etc.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM
ICC = intelligent cruise control.
When you say service? what kind of service are you talking about? I need to do an oil change because IDK what kind of oil the dealership used. Brakes should be good since the dealership replaced them before I bought the car. I've only had the car for two weeks now.

back to topic about the RPMs... After getting to work in the morning and putting my car in park, I noticed that my RPMs were around 650-700 range, so that's good.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Yeah I was just cruising. I reset my mpg gauge when I first got on the highway. First doing 70-75mph I was getting ~24-25mpg but once I started doing 80mph I was getting 23mpg. I had my ICC set most of the way. What could I do to improve my mpg?
The faster you go, the lower the MPG for the most part. Also, as windy as it's been here down here, you were likely hitting an air wall most of the trip.

That said, 23mpg for our cars is pretty good.

I've monitored my mpg, along with mods and its effects on it, for the past couple hundred tanks of gas, there's really not much you can do to change mpg significantly.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My idle is a little rough, especially now in the winter. Idles fine but occasionally I'll get the slight dip.

Is the first post edited with all the useful information? I don't really want to read through 34 pages...

Thanks for the info and write up!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by OMG35S
My idle is a little rough, especially now in the winter. Idles fine but occasionally I'll get the slight dip.

Is the first post edited with all the useful information? I don't really want to read through 34 pages...

Thanks for the info and write up!
The first post is updated with information on how to clean it... but once you clean it, you want to do the relearn procedure to let the ECU learn the clean throttle bodies.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-cleaning.html <<< here is one of the links to the procedure. If you do your procedure right after you clean the throttle bodies before turning on the car, then you should be able to skip the parts where he unplugged the battery and harness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies