resonated test pipes and HFC logevity?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
resonated test pipes and HFC logevity?

Anyone know which resonated test pipes fit the 08 g35s dual intake HR motor? I'm finding a lot of stuff labeled for g37 for their HR.

Also a guy who runs a local shop told me he sees a lot of HFCs turn into charcoal in the long run, and I should just get test pipes and save myself the trouble. Thing is I don't want to go deaf, so resonated test pipes would be a must! I do have a solution for CEL codes to pass inspection at least

Anyone had HFC long enough to notice any ill effects on them?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are worried about the noise I suggest you look into the Motordyne Art Test Pipes. I had the Fast Intentions HFC's before switching to ART test pipes. They are not obnoxious sounding like regular test pipes because of their design. The only thing is there is more of a noticeable exhaust smell vs the HFC's.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ are u saying that the ART test pipes are quieter than FI HFCs?? also how bad is the smell, is it really noticeable when idling or driving? If you were pulled over and the cop approached your car from behind with your car running, could they tell? lol

Thanks

Last edited by kool_yaar; 05-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
ART pipes are louder than any HFC from what I understand. But they sound so damn good! I really want them badly but can't justify the price on em.

As to your question about the life span of HFC's, they should be good for 20-30k depending on how much beating they take. TP's don't undergo any wear and tear because basically they are fully gutted cats.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
^ well if thats the case and the HFCs are expected to give out after 30k then might as well spend the extra $100 and get art pipes which offer more power, better sound and will last a lifetime... now the only thing im curious about is the smell factor, my friend has regular test pipes on his TSX and the smell is pretty nasty...

Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Brand new HFC's can be had for ~$450. TP's can be purchased for about $250-350 depending on what brand and if you go with resonated or not. But the ART pipes are around $700 IIRC. I can be wrong tho.

Regarding the smell, it's definitely going to be something noticeable especially if you are stopped at a light. However while normal driving, I don't think you will notice any foul smell. Also something to consider for folks in CA, some HFC's will pass the visual inspection during smog but TP's and ART pipes definitely will not pass inspection.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
ART dyno and review and they are $585 on motordyne website so im guessing you can get em around $600 shipped from a vendor over at myg37.com.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
^ Thanks for the info.

I just might consider these if HFC's don't work out for me.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
^ im in the same exact boat at the moment, i can get my hands on some cheap HFCs but as it turned out they have about 10k miles instead of 5k as i was originally told but if the life span is projected around 20-30k then id rather spend the extra $$ and get a new one or better yet get these instead, now imma try to find someone local who has a G with test pipes to see how awful the smell can be at idle...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
yeah I'm torn, import parts pro has the Kinetix HFC's on sale for 379 (new), or spend 600 on these.

Anyone know if these fit our cars? They are super cheap Description is rather vague.
http://www.b2autodesigns.com/product...roducts_id=824

hmm nevermind, seems they are only for the coupe.

Last edited by rvanderwerf; 05-11-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Keep in mind that the life span of aftermarket HFC's is subjective to their build quality and how much beating they take. I know guys that have had their cats go bad after 15k, but I also know guys that have had their HFC for 30k + without any issues. From my research, FI & BERK seem to be quality products. BTW I just recently picked up some used BERKS from a member here. I will try them out first to see if I like em or not. You should be fine with used FI hfc's. With 10k, you have plenty life on them left IMO. I know a member here who's had their FI hfc paired with FI cbe for over 30k without any problem.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
yeah I'm torn, import parts pro has the Kinetix HFC's on sale for 379 (new), or spend 600 on these.

Anyone know if these fit our cars? They are super cheap Description is rather vague.
http://www.b2autodesigns.com/product...roducts_id=824
^ Those are not HFC's. They are resonated test pipes. Should be pretty raspy IMO.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by J2S2M
Keep in mind that the life span of aftermarket HFC's is subjective to their build quality and how much beating they take. I know guys that have had their cats go bad after 15k, but I also know guys that have had their HFC for 30k + without any issues. From my research, FI & BERK seem to be quality products. BTW I just recently picked up some used BERKS from a member here. I will try them out first to see if I like em or not. You should be fine with used FI hfc's. With 10k, you have plenty life on them left IMO. I know a member here who's had their FI hfc paired with FI cbe for over 30k without any problem.
Ahh thanks, i think i might just pick those up then and try em out and if they sound good enough ill keep up else sell em cheap here and buy the ARK pipes... decisions decisions... anyways please do report your experience with BERK once you install em sound, performance and if any smell too please thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Ahh thanks, i think i might just pick those up then and try em out and if they sound good enough ill keep up else sell em cheap here and buy the ARK pipes... decisions decisions... anyways please do report your experience with BERK once you install em sound, performance and if any smell too please thanks!
Just to confirm, I was commenting on the ART pipes by Motordyne Engineering and not ARK Performance (don't think ARK offers any hfc's or tp's).

The problem with the excessive exhaust fumes is only prevalent with TP's. You shouldn't really have issues with the foul smell with HFC's. Not sure when I will get mine installed though (haven't even received them yet). It might not be for a while b/c I want to get my car tuned at the time of the install too. I think you will really love sound of the car with the FI hfc paired with your FI catback.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
HFC will still give you some gas smells but not as much as test pipes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: resonated test pipes and HFC logevity?