Idle problem after TB cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 06:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
4) In cold environments the throttle plate can develop a tiny bit of ice on it because of the very high air velocity, the coolant lines keep the TB warm in the winter.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the car in to have them flash the ROM, said they were not able to because the system kept throwing out a code for a bad oxygen sensor. Now I'm thinking of replacing them to see if that remedies the issue.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Replaced the 02 sensor, SES light is out, did the pedal relearn but idle is still messed up.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Not saying the idle relearn will absolutely fix this but are you certain you're doing it right ? It's tricky at first to get the hang of it. If the SES flashing light doesn't behave the way the instructions indicate, it means you missed a step or timing and it's simply not 'done' right.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Not saying the idle relearn will absolutely fix this but are you certain you're doing it right ? It's tricky at first to get the hang of it. If the SES flashing light doesn't behave the way the instructions indicate, it means you missed a step or timing and it's simply not 'done' right.
I've done it so many times that if I haven't done it right at least once, then I will never be able to do it right. Last night I disconnected the battery, pressed the brake pedal several times & let it sit. SES light was off this morning, until I pulled into the garage after grocery shopping, then it came back on. Back to AutoZone to have the OBD test. I'll say it again - I'm regretting buying this car.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Took it to two differnt auto parts places & had them run the OBD. Both came back with P0507 Idle speed control system RMP higher than expected (tell me something I don't know) One guy suggested taking a can of starting spray and spray it on all the air intake & vacuum hoses, and if the RPM goes up, it could indicate a leak. Did that, but didn't detect anything. I know I should not have taken off the TB's but is it possible I damaged them? I was very careful cleaning them.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dont panic! It may take several days to go back to normal even if you've done the re-learn properly it may not be an insta-fix.

I just did the re-learn this morning. My idle is still high and I have the same idle control system high engine code. It should settle down after a few days but at least it not surging anymore which in my opinion is even worse. On the plus side the car does feel more raw and sensitive on throttle response.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 AM
https://www.launchtech.co.uk/common-...N%20NISSAN.pdf

THe pedal released and throttle closed are the exact same steps?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
THe pedal released and throttle closed are the exact same steps?
4 steps vs 2 steps ? Clearly not....

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Was looking at too many sources too late at night

On a slightly different topic I don't think those are actually the correct steps for a V36 Sedan. Too many people not getting any results, or the steps require some other conditions to be met. I just watched a video that indicated the coolant needed to be lower than 25C for the throttle valve closed learning to work. It also required the car to be on and running, whereas all the other relearn instructions happen with the car off ignition set to on.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:32 PM
I've seen various conditions or requirements but the document you linked had a new one related to the coolant temperature having to be within a certain range (even though that document contradicted itself - it said coolant temp between 25-99º C but the last section says it can't be above 90º C). Otherwise, I've seen where they indicate that the engine should be up to normal operating temperature, all electrical stuff needs to be off (no HVAC, no audio, no lights, etc, etc), and even that the steering wheel needs to be centered. The FSM has the same steps.... Haha ! That document you linked copy-and-pasted the steps straight from the FSM !

Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Well after two weeks my nightmare is over.

Took it to the dealer today. They had fixed in 15-20 mins. Only dealer I called that actually knew the problem and how to fix it (ECM reflash/update and then perform the Idle air relearn). Apparently they have had many customers with this issue. They did say I got lucky that my car took to the new programming right away, where some others have taken up to two hours to do. Idle is now rock steady at 650rpm.

So now I'm on the newer version 'C', which apparently does relearn much easier.

Some thoughts on this...

While some may say/theorize the actual pedal dance/idle relearn procedure is tricky to time right or doesn't work all the time, we have a black and white visual indicator with the SES light flashing then staying on solid - signalling the procedure has run successfully. So you should easily be able to tell if you completed it properly. What I in fact believe may be screwing us up royally is the throttle valve closed procedure. I probably ran through it at least 10 times, but NEVER did I hear the clicking or high pitched sound of the throttle bodies re-positioning themselves as the FSM tells it should. Has anyone else?

Also the 12.9 battery voltage thing. When the car is off with the ignition set to on your battery voltage is likely going to be at 12.6-12.7V, even with everything turned off, thats simply the nature of 6 cell lead acid batteries. I believe the service adviser at the dealer said an external power source was hooked up to get up to 12.9 for the entirety of the procedure.

So that's it, even calling around to all the Infiniti dealers in my area, I had to sniff out the ones that had no clue and wanted to charge a $120 diagnosis fee only to likely come back and say my TBs were no good and write me up a 2K quote for nothing, and finally just by luck find one that had dealt with this before and knew the steps required to resolve the issue.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Serge Mullen
Well after two weeks my nightmare is over.

Took it to the dealer today. They had fixed in 15-20 mins. Only dealer I called that actually knew the problem and how to fix it (ECM reflash/update and then perform the Idle air relearn). Apparently they have had many customers with this issue. They did say I got lucky that my car took to the new programming right away, where some others have taken up to two hours to do. Idle is now rock steady at 650rpm....
Well that's interesting. I did replace the failed 02 sensor and have performed the relearn process a number of times. The SES light will stay off for periods from 5 minutes to over an hour, but eventually comes back on. Also, each time I do the dance, the idle gets a bit better. Instead of 2k and revving up and down, I'm now at 1k steady. Someone else suggested it can take time for the ECM to figure everything out...thoughts?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Well if you can live with it drive it for a few more days/weeks and see what happens. It may go back to normal on its own. The relearn did nothing at all for me.

In your case it might be difficult to isolate since you mentioned it was idling/accelerating rough even before. Not sure if its running any better..

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 Infiniti G35X AWD
07 G35 cleaned TB’s and abrupt and rough idle

I have a 07’ G35 I was given the dirty throttle body code so I cleaned them. After I cleaned them I had abrupt and rough idle once engine got up to temp. Tried manual relearn multiple times and did not clear code or change anything. Took it to a dealership for them to do a ECM relearn on it but it did not accept the relearn. Turned out it was in need of a ECM update. Only reason they did the update was due to the fact that there were no new ECM’s for the car. When the ECM went out it caused it to run lean (the mechanic at Smolich Nissan told me) when I thought it was running rich due to the manifold being damp with fuel. After getting it back from the dealership it idles smooth and gets better fuel mileage. So before you freak out about having to buy a new ECM see if it will accept the new update from Infiniti.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Idle problem after TB cleaning