V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Just Installed K&N Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed my K&N fitler about 2 months ago, and i'm very pleased with the results.

With the OEM filter I noticed a lag in acceleration, with the K&N there is little or no lag at all! The car feels faster.

I also noticed an increase in mileage.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsmonet
they do absolutely nothing appreciable. you net zero gains worth talking about and it's damn near the worst dollar/gain mod you can do. *sigh*

aaaanyway... what makes injen better? nothing at the moment. they're the only folks showing any real gains on their dyno runs, though. the stock setup is pretty well matched for the motor so it's hard to improve just by tossing tubes and cones on
So its really all about the sound eh... but sadly, I would spend the dough for the sound.. lol I really would. Hearing a nice exhaust sounds just makes me appreciate my car even more... I know.. its bad.., but im sure there are many guys out there too who would do the same. lol

I saw some of the diagrams of the injen intakes.. where do the filters go?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if im interpreting the test results correctly the k+n improves flow by like .14% while sacrificing a slightly cleaner intake charge. in my opinion, and i have k+n installed, I will prolly go back to oems just to keep my engine cleaner inside. if ur looking for a deeper intake note the z-tube is the way to go.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by orl-g
if im interpreting the test results correctly the k+n improves flow by like .14% while sacrificing a slightly cleaner intake charge. in my opinion, and i have k+n installed, I will prolly go back to oems just to keep my engine cleaner inside. if ur looking for a deeper intake note the z-tube is the way to go.
So are you saying I will get the same sound increase wit the z tube without instaling the stillen intakes? And just keeping everything else stock?

I dont know what to do. Im so confused. I keep hearing differing arguments about this issue with dirt/oil build up with non stock setup's.. :S

Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
just my opinion...
but it seems intake is pretty well designed and even aftermarket cai dont net much of a hp/tq gain. the ztube is an oem peice and is desgined for the vq.
so im sticking w/ stock air box, oem air filters (have k+n drop-in now), and z-tube.
to answer ur question, yes you will get sound increase with just z-tube.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
just my opinion...
but it seems intake is pretty well designed and even aftermarket cai dont net much of a hp/tq gain. the ztube is an oem peice and is desgined for the vq.
so im sticking w/ stock air box, oem air filters (have k+n drop-in now), and z-tube.
to answer ur question, yes you will get sound increase with just z-tube.
Can I get this z-tube through the dealership?

Very interesting.. cuz if i do this instead, I wont have to worry about non OEM filters screwing up my engine and MAF.

Anyone have a link for the sound a z tube makes on the new G35's? Without any other aftermarket products.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
z-tube is my only engine mod, also got tein s-techs.
i will try to get a clip loaded this week.
engine seems to open up at just over 2500, i really like the sound.
definatley noticeable difference from stock g35 air tube.
u can get the z-tube from stealerships or from 350z owners that go cai route.
check classifieds. got mine for $50 locally from 350z owner.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sacch
I installed my K&N fitler about 2 months ago, and i'm very pleased with the results.

With the OEM filter I noticed a lag in acceleration, with the K&N there is little or no lag at all! The car feels faster.

Wishful thinking. Even if the K&N filters gave you 5 additional HP, no human is sensitive enough to determine this small difference. The K&N's of course do not give you 5hp. All the aftermarket intakes available barely net you that. The Stillen short tubes net 6hp and long tube 10hp. I can assure you these are the manufacturers claims so they are exaggerated. K&N cannot beat physics. More airflow means less filtering.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
z-tube is my only engine mod, also got tein s-techs.
i will try to get a clip loaded this week.
engine seems to open up at just over 2500, i really like the sound.
definatley noticeable difference from stock g35 air tube.
u can get the z-tube from stealerships or from 350z owners that go cai route.
check classifieds. got mine for $50 locally from 350z owner.
ya I would definately love to hear a clip of your exhaust man! do it up! I'll be waiting for it! thx! =)

oh yeah btw, what car do u have?

and what brand is the z tube? is it stillen? or something else? sorry if that is a dumb question. lol

Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 PM
04 6mt coupe
the z-tube is an oem peice, a nissan part.
i have stock exhaust with z-tube and k+n drop in.
i got tues, wed, and thurs off so clip should be up by thurs.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Overall i feel K&N do make a good difference, i guess the vq-hr engine thirsts for more air. The engine "acquires" a new personality, more hyper, eager, exhaust more deep and humming which are all sweet. However K&N allows more flow yes but also more dirt... If you are going to own the car for 3 years then who cares and it all depends on personal taste and preference.

Btw imo the stock air filter isn't all that... I will buy fram brand when it becomes available.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Sacch

I agree.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
04 6mt coupe
the z-tube is an oem peice, a nissan part.
i have stock exhaust with z-tube and k+n drop in.
i got tues, wed, and thurs off so clip should be up by thurs.
oh you have the coupe... yours already naturally sound awesome without any mods.. hmmm.. I wonder how much of that can translate to the sedan version. Since ours doesnt sound as nice as yours to begin with.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Imo the aftermart intake system with a cone type filter is bad. They suck in hot air and don't have a ram air effect. Can actually make the performance worse if not done right.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by oughttoreturn
Overall i feel K&N do make a good difference, i guess the vq-hr engine thirsts for more air. The engine "acquires" a new personality, more hyper, eager, exhaust more deep and humming which are all sweet. However K&N allows more flow yes but also more dirt... If you are going to own the car for 3 years then who cares and it all depends on personal taste and preference.

Btw imo the stock air filter isn't all that... I will buy fram brand when it becomes available.
I really am considering the intakes.. im just concerned cuz.. I wanna keep my car for a long time. Im currently leasing it right now, but when 4 yrs are up, I wanna buy it back. So if doing this will remotely "damage" my car.. it almost doesnt make it worth it.

Hence, im liking the whole z-tube mod alone.. ahhhh.. what to do, what to do..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Installed K&N Filters