V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

HID Headlight Ballast Replacement Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Headlight Ballast Replacement Problems

Hello Everyone,

A few weeks ago my passenger side headlight blew, so I did what any normal person would do and replaced the headlight to find that the headlight I had wasn't blown. Returned the headlight and checked the fuse, and that fixed the headlight temporarily, however the fuse continued to blow. Checked continuity to ground over the power lead at the fuse box by the battery, and then again at the clip that plugs into the Ballast, and determined that the ballast was the source of the problems. I bought an aftermarket ballast on amazon and replaced it, and the passenger side light works flawlessly.

Went out to get the oil changed, and after leaving I noticed that now my driver's side light was out. Checked the fuses and nothing was blown. Additionally, this morning I swapped the lights out with each other and both fired but the driver's side went out about 5 minutes after firing. Checked fuses again and none were blown.

Should I go ahead and replace the ballast on the driver's side as well? What else could I try?

Thank you all for the much needed help!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM
This exact thing just happened to me and the dealer quoted me 1,500 just for the Ballast! I'm not sure where they got that number, but I promptly got the hell out of there. Any advice for me on what ballast to purchase (I see some on amazon but the price range varies) and I'm also curious what ended up happening with your left side? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Fix

Originally Posted by Miked2007G35
This exact thing just happened to me and the dealer quoted me 1,500 just for the Ballast! I'm not sure where they got that number, but I promptly got the hell out of there. Any advice for me on what ballast to purchase (I see some on amazon but the price range varies) and I'm also curious what ended up happening with your left side? Thanks!
I actually ended up purchasing the aftermarket ballasts because neither bulb was bad and I didnt see buying the OEM ballasts for double the price when the aftermarket ballasts had good reviews. I ended up replacing the one side
and then actually had the other ballast to go out as well immediately after replacing the first. The ballast is pretty hard to get to, but I believe that whenever I finished I spent less than $100.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the reply! Does this look like the right one to order? I'm pretty new to DIY car stuff so I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right thing - thanks! 2007 G35S Sedan.

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Miked2007G35
Thanks for the reply! Does this look like the right one to order? I'm pretty new to DIY car stuff so I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right thing - thanks! 2007 G35S Sedan.

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Murano...F707XAGVQ4JC6P
I think I purchased the one by seller, "Lights Max", but that one should work just fine. I'd look for a couple youtube videos explaining how to take the front bumper and light assembly out before you begin.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
You want the Matsushita Gen 35 ballasts to replace the OEM ballasts. I wouldn't recommend aftermarket ballasts, but those are now so your choice.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your replies! I'm getting her ready to sell so I may go with aftermarket. Not sure how much I can get and can't sink too much money in (just had to buy the interior door bezels grrrrrrrr). Will think about it - thanks!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 AM
How do I replace my HID Controller?

I also need to replace my HID controller (ballast / igniter) on my 2008 G35x sedan, but I can't find any YourTube video of how to do it. I've seen the bulb replacement videos, and I can see the "socket" (silver color with silver braided shielded wire, thinking that is the igniter) in the videos but can't see where the controller (ballast) is located.

Do I need to remove bumper or headlight assembly to get at the HID controller? Or, can I get to it via the wheel well as with a bulb replacement?

And, can anyone point me to a HID Controller replacement video for a G35? Or, tell me what keywords to search for in YouTube / Google?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The following users liked this post:
Martin_Schwan (09-05-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.