G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires-25/)
-   -   TPMS sensors - will they fit? (https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires/465659-tpms-sensors-will-they-fit.html)

Chilli 01-11-2019 09:09 AM

TPMS sensors - will they fit?

I have some brand new rims I am installing this spring when my car comes out of storage.

When I was looking to buy my G35, one guy told me "TPMS light is on because there was no room in the rims for sensors" This sounded very fishy to me, and I ended up buying a different one cuz he seemed shady as F.

Is there any merit to that, or was he blowing smoke up my ***? The reason I ask is, these new rims I bought are the exact same ones that were on the other G35, so although I assume he was BSing I don't wanna spend $$ on new sensors if they wont fit. Maybe it was the OEM ones not fitting in the valve opening in the rim??

For reference, my rims are 19x8.5 Front and 19x9.5 Rear with 225/40/19 tires in front and 275/35/19 in rear.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

gary c 01-11-2019 10:04 AM

Google Nissan TPMS sensors! You'll find all you need using Nissan and the year of your Infiniti! I bought a complete set on ebay for a very reasonable price, they work perfectly!
Gary

Urbanengineer 01-11-2019 12:22 PM

Yeah that's a load of **** haha.

VDO makes some solid replacement sensors with brand new batteries for considerably lower cost.

Chilli 01-11-2019 12:36 PM

great, thanks for the info guys... appreciated

Scorpi0 01-11-2019 04:11 PM

How long do these sensors last? Mine are still the originals I believe.

Urbanengineer 01-11-2019 04:33 PM

I'm on year 1.5

Blue Dream 01-12-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0 (Post 7159227)
How long do these sensors last? Mine are still the originals I believe.

The batteries are designed to last between 5-7 years. However a lot of people have gone much longer than that without any issues, including us.

MikeG35Coupe 01-12-2019 01:27 PM

Three of the four sensors on my '04 are the originals that came with the car. The fourth was accidentally replaced by a shop (long story).

gary c 01-14-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7159177)
Google Nissan TPMS sensors! You'll find all you need using Nissan and the year of your Infiniti! I bought a complete set on ebay for a very reasonable price, they work perfectly!
Gary

How about another look at the TPS I installed less than 2 years ago...not so fast! Made a left turn the other day and I got a rear end slide which I'd never felt before! Did an oil change at my friends shop and only had 18 psi in my rear drivers side tire! No warning from my wheel sensors...what the? :eek: Went to a tire shop this morning, none of those sensors were working along with my front two Michelin tires were just starting to show metal on the insides! A year ago I had a few bushings replaced on my front suspension, shop told me alignment wasn't needed...wrong! Now, Michelins ordered for $750= a pair and new sensors from a tire store that guarantees them rather than ordering ebay sh!t Now when the new rubber shows up and installed I'll make sure the alignment is done correctly, have new SPL spacers in my trunk! I pays to pay a higher price for what you're doing rather than pay less and have it bite you in the ( ! ) later!
Gary

gary c 01-16-2019 03:51 PM

To continue...

Wheel sensors from America's tire were $35 each, I'm happy to pay that amount because they'll stand behind what they sell! My factory wheel sensors lasted almost 10 years in 3 different sets of wheels, I feel I'm $$ ahead regardless of the cost of new sensors! Now if I can once again get my alignment correct I'll still be pissed that I didn't demand they do the alignment after replacing all those bushings in my front end! Cost for not doing what I believed was the right thing to do...$750! :52:
Gary

Urbanengineer 01-18-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by gary c
Wheel sensors from America's tire were $35 each, I'm happy to pay that amount because they'll stand behind what they sell! My factory wheel sensors lasted almost 10 years in 3 different sets of wheels, I feel I'm $$ ahead regardless of the cost of new sensors! Now if I can once again get my alignment correct I'll still be pissed that I didn't demand they do the alignment after replacing all those bushings in my front end! Cost for not doing what I believed was the right thing to do...$750! :52:
Gary

Gary, any suspension work, at all, requires a check of your alignment. You know this. Glad they got you fixed up.

cleric670 01-20-2019 12:45 PM

Something that hasn't really been covered but that Gary experienced.

TEST your sensors to make sure they're working! About once a year I'll go through each tire, drop it down to 25psi and go around the block, the TPMS light should turn on, air that tire up, wait for the light to turn off, drop the next tire to 25psi, short drive until light turns on...

Rinse/repeat for all tires.

This is especially important if you have new TPMS sensors installed, verify they are actually functional.

Yes it takes a little while, especially since I'm doing this on multiple vehicles, mine as well as both sets of grandparents. However it's one of the most important checks you can do on a modern vehicle so don't ignore it.