Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Just got Asanti 20's - HUGE PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just got Asanti 20's - HUGE PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

Just received Asanti 131's after 6 weeks of waiting. 20X8.5 in the front and 20X10 in the rear. Tried to put them on last night. ( 2005 G35 Coupe no Brembos). The back ones went on fine but the front one would not sit flush against the pad.

First thing i noticed is that there is a small extra screw inbetween the 5 bolt pattern that needed removing. I was able to remove this with a simple crescent wrench. But the rim would still not go on. After trying a couple of things it looked like there is a black painted cyclindrical piece that juts out in the center of the five bolt pattern that is preventing the rim from sitting deep enough onto the bolts.

Has ANYONE encountered this problem with any aftermarket rims they have purchased? If you have is there a solution without me having to send the rims back? The black circle jutting out is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and looks like it can possible be pulled out but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

LG

Old 05-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pics would be better so we can see what you're talking about. But it sounds like the HUB RING is not letting you mount the wheel properly. So it means they sent you the wrong bolt pattern on the wheels.

Don't experiment or try to fix it yourself...just get on the phone to the wheel shop right away and tell them what's going on. They have to have the solution for you.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for replying Chico. The hub ring sounds like the name of what I am referring to. The rear rims have a hole with a wider diameter than the front rims. (I compared the two after I put my old rims/tires back on).

So because of this, the rear rims have the clearance to fit and clear the hub ring on the rear. However in the front, the rim hole has a smaller diameter and is not clearing the "hub ring".

I guess my question is - is this "hub ring removable"? If it is - I would just have my dealer remove it.

Thanks again

Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Chico is bang on with the advice. Don't try and mess it up by experimenting. Call them. My guess is Chico is right again about the mounting pattern. I've had that issue before too but it was with a wheel that was way too sloppy not too small.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes you can remove the RING but that won't help you either. If you do...your car may not be driveable. It will vibrate very badly at speeds over 40 miles.

Don't risk your safety. You need to call the shop.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the rims are to small for the " center bore ". Definitely send them back or just the fronts, should not take that long to enlarge them, actually you might find a local rim/repair shop that might be able to do it. Actually probably better to send them back, I believe those Asanti's are fully chromed, and you dont want a local shop to mess with that.

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 05-05-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Being a wheel retailer, please call them, if we had this problem we would want our customer to call us, so we can quickly ship out the proper hub rings, and I'm sure your retailer will do the same.

Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I called the distributor I purchased them from. They are checking to see whether they can enlarge the "center bore" themselves or if they will need to ship them back to Asanti. Looks like they were not drilled correctly.

I just find it very suprising that for wheels this expensive and for the time it took to actually get them that Asanti would make such a poor mistake like this! The whole point of custom ordering is to make sure they are "custom made/fit" to avoid these type of problems.

Thanks for all your help and the added terminology which made it much easier to describe the problem when I called them.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any pics of them?

Old 05-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Let us know how it works out.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:01 PM
To Chico: Hopefully I'll know by the end of the day whether they can do it themselves, if so I will make the drive up on Sta to get them fixed.

As for pics....I will try to post them when the job is completed..

Old 05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Never enough
Try it without the hob rings. So rims dont need them.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Chico advised against trying it without the hub rings.

Also, I called the infiniti dealer and spoke with them and their 3rd party broker for custom wheels. I was told that the hub rings are not removable and they have never had to remove them for any aftermarket rim.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
hub rings are just that, rings. they are removable. Most wheels have a fairly large standard bore and use rings to fit to the application. Even volks use rings. They just slide into the wheel and are plastic or metal.

While the idea of having it drilled to your car is nice, I'd almost want the more common bore with a metal hubcentric ring. It makes the wheel much easier to sell later (if the buyer can use the offsets but has a diff brand car)

Old 05-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Dear Tim,

The thing is, the back wheels are drilled correctly to accomodate the bore ring. The front wheels are not. Why would they do one correctly and not the other?

Just so I am not confusing you, let me clarify - the "bore holes" on the rear rims and the front rims are of different diameters. This should not be the case since the "bore rings" on the car are the SAME.
Asanti MUST HAVE/SHOULD HAVE known this when the made the wheels.

LG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got Asanti 20's - HUGE PROBLEM PLEASE HELP