Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

whats wrong with my rims? pictures in post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch, that sucks. only wash your G should have is hand done by you!

question, is that the data system lip?

Old 11-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by reggiek
Chances are you never waxed or polished your wheels. I assume since you took your car to someone else to wash it you don't do your own waxing. It doesn't matter if it was you or a detailer, if you don't wax anodized lips, they look crappy. My lips are anodized. Since the rear lips are bigger, I waxed them every other week to keep them blinging. I didn't wax the front at all. The front started to look like they were peeling and dull. I immediately waxed them. They stopped the peeling thing and still look shiny. I learned a big lesson...you have to wax those lips often. So, it's not the fault of the detailer.

Some anodized wheels are not clear coated....sounds like yours are't.

His Volks are clear coated and while waxing will help with the brake dust and cleaning, they do not do what you described.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONE THING WILL DO IT

and its this

Old 11-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by RashMan1450
ONE THING WILL DO IT

and its this

I don't think so.........On the Volks, you would not be polishing METAL.

You would be trying to polish the Clear Coat and what he has is a chemical reaction with the clear!!

Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ONE THING WILL DO IT

and its this
ALL, DON'T USE THIS, OR ANY METAL POLISH ON VOLK WHEELS. iForged, Jlines, HRE, DPE...yeah, Mothers is great. JUST DON'T USE IT ON VOLK's. VOLK's ARE ANODIZED CLEAR COATED. *GOSH! (in Napoleon Dynamite voice)*
carry on!

Old 11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by sen_jen
ALL, DON'T USE THIS, OR ANY METAL POLISH ON VOLK WHEELS. iForged, Jlines, HRE, DPE...yeah, Mothers is great. JUST DON'T USE IT ON VOLK's. VOLK's ARE ANODIZED CLEAR COATED. *GOSH! (in Napoleon Dynamite voice)*
carry on!

That's what I said........lol

Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by sen_jen
carry on!

That's what I said........sorta. lol

Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Sorry to hear about that but seriously its your own fault for being to lazy to wash the car yourself. I'd never let a carwash touch my car. Hope you can get it polished up.
lazy? I personally don't have the time to spend washing my car.....life is too busy and personally a car wash doesn't make u lazy...that's funny as hell...he called you lazy LOL!

Old 11-05-2005, 02:20 AM
I agree with the Lazy comment!!
Just because I take my car to a car wash doesn't mean I'm lazy. I was really happy with there service until this happened, and I would continue to get my car washed by these guys if I did not have these rims.
But, now that I have these rims, I guess it will be hand wash from now on.

My g is the first sports car that I have ever owned and these are the first expensive rims that I have ever bought, so I have one question...

Why do they clear coat them? wouldn't they look the same with out the clear coat? the only difference is that I would have to polish them every now and then.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by unomateo
I bought the volk AV's for my G and I loved them, but now they look really bad.

pics of them new:
http://dunlaphomesales.com/blog/gallery/7.aspx

They are now not shiny on the lips:

I was told they have a clear coat on them so I am afraid I will ruin the clear coat. I only had the car washed at a touchless car wash in town, and I would think that since they must wash hundreds of rims like this they would not use any chemicals that would damage the clear coat. I spent $3000 for wheels and tires and they look aweful. Poeple have made comments about the rims, asking what the film haze is, so I am unhappy and embarrased that I have a really nice car, cheap looking rims. I really need to shine them up.

First of all, what is wrong with them?
Secondly...can I polish them to make them shiny again.
Damn DUDE! yeah your rims are anodized like mine and your carwash used a f'ckin' acidic cleaner on them. NEVER go to a regular carwash either wash yourself or go to a true hand carwash location and tell them to use just SOAP and WATER...I use mothers carwash for the body and wheels. Where are you located? I plan to have my anodized coating stripped and have them polished...polished aluminum is much brighter than anodized..

Old 11-08-2005, 04:07 PM
► Matt ◄
I just sent my rojas to a powdercoater and got a call today. He told me my wheels are anodized and he cant powdercoat them becuase they will turn yellow in the oven. my question is not about the powdercoat but im now converned becuase I have been using mothers mag & aluminum polish on these lips. They still look good but have I hurt them at all?

Also if i cant use the polish then wtf do I use to clean them, soap and water dont to $hit after it rains.

Matt

Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
ONE THING WILL DO IT

and its this
Tried that and no luck. That was how I came to realize that they were clear coated. The shop I bought them from even told me to try that stuff. Total waste of time, but hey at that point I was willing to try anything.