G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Leather seating surface wearing off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Leather seating surface wearing off

Do you think I have a valid complaint?

I began to notice this problem with my driver's seat in late January when the car was 7 months young. The leather finish should not come off easily in a short time. I am the only driver of this car. I take very good care of it. I clean and condition the seats 5-6 times a year.
Sorry the pics are sideways. Photobucket is not cooperating and Driver hasn't allowed me to upload pics for weeks and I don't know why.

I sent the dealership these same pictures. They have ordered a new seat back for me but they will decide if I get it under warranty after they inspect the seat in person.

This is my second G ( I had a new 07x prior) and I never had any problem with the seats in that. The seats (the whole car for that matter) looked nearly as good as new when I traded it after 4 years.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 07-03-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: fixed pic links
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
That looks like where your holstered phone would be rubbing against while sitting. When I sit down, my phone hits the same spot. I am in the habit of pulling my phone forward now when I sit.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by willdogs
That looks like where your holstered phone would be rubbing against while sitting. When I sit down, my phone hits the same spot. I am in the habit of pulling my phone forward now when I sit.
You mean your holstered phone, not mine

I never use a holster (just pockets) and when in my car my phone immediately goes here:

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Good luck RPM, it's kind of similar to the chip-happy crap paint we deal with, both my Gs have been riddled w/ chips. IMO it will probably be hard to prove that wear wasn't something that was "owner caused".
The leather on these cars is so damn thin that I'm worried it's going to just rip someday. it's in a pretty concentrated area so it will look like it's something you're doing to it on a regular basis, but maybe you'll find a sympathetic service guy. Keep us posted.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i think it would be hard to prove that its not owner caused IMO...

As for the leather its actually pretty good and better than many of it counterparts, just take some care of it and you should be fine, the fact that ur last G was fine and you took care of this cars leather as well i can see how the dealer would try to pin it to some thing rubbing against the leather to make it wear like that since its not a common occurrence from what iv seen... unlike the paint

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I have an appointment to replace the seat-back on Tuesday morning. They say they'll need the car for 4-5 hours so they will provide a loaner for me to get back to work.
I'll keep you posted (either way) if they follow through with the replacement.
Cheers

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that a pro clip cradle for BB? Looks very clean, I might want to get one those.

Good luck with the stealership.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by LeFrenchy
Is that a pro clip cradle for BB? Looks very clean, I might want to get one those.

Good luck with the stealership.
Not a proclip...homemade
Slides

I've modified it a few times.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
love that phone mount, you should make and sell them to us I think the pro clip sits way farther to the right where the passenger knee would be, a buddy has one on his 370.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
^Mine is never in the way for my passengers. I can also take it off and relocate it in a couple seconds. I have switched it to the left side and even shoved it into the vent joint left of the steering wheel cluster..

It's pretty simple.
- cut a piece of 18 or 16 gauge (a little more than 1mm thick) sheet metal to the size you need, allowing for about 3/4" to be bent for shoving into the car's trim joint. Just bend it in a vice. Tip, I found out how deep the joints are by shoving in a piece of cereal box cardboard then bending the cardboard.
- round off the corners and edges with a grinder.
- spray it with a couple coats of paint. I used Plastidip. The rubber texture really grips well and won't slide in the joint.

Attach your phone to the metal. For a while I used Velcro. I also used the 'claw' part from a cheap clip found in the department store auto section. I ended up bolting the back of an old Otterbox to the metal.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Update - seat back replaced

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I have an appointment to replace the seat-back on Tuesday morning. They say they'll need the car for 4-5 hours so they will provide a loaner for me to get back to work.
I'll keep you posted (either way) if they follow through with the replacement.
Cheers
I have said it before (see here). Guelph Infiniti has to be one the the best dealerships anywhere.
They provided me with (they rent for clients) a 2012 G37X loaner. Now I understand the laggy throttle bad shifting transmission people complain about. Makes me happier to have the 6MT
Seat back has been replaced, as (IMO) it should have been.

Invoice.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ thats very decent of them! glad you got it done without a fuss, i wish my local dealer was this understanding ...

BTW love the comment on your account "DO NOT WASH THIS CUSTOMERS CAR!" LOL great decision there but dont be surprised if they still do wash it, i told my SA not to wash my car 10 times and he said he'd make a note and yet when i went back to pick up my car it was an expected shiny swirly surprise!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ thats very decent of them! glad you got it done without a fuss, i wish my local dealer was this understanding ...

BTW love the comment on your account "DO NOT WASH THIS CUSTOMERS CAR!" LOL great decision there but dont be surprised if they still do wash it, i told my SA not to wash my car 10 times and he said he'd make a note and yet when i went back to pick up my car it was an expected shiny swirly surprise!
I have been going to them (only for warranty) 5 years now. They only made that mistake once back in '07 and I had the same swirly surprise on OB. Let's just say I informed them of their mistake. I let it go and they have been extremely fair to me ever since.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I must say I have always been treated well at Guelph Infiniti, but, I have also bought 3 new Infinitis from them.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Very nice! That dealership really took care of you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather seating surface wearing off