Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good car, terrible cd player. pa15-Nis aux input without iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good car, terrible cd player. pa15-Nis aux input without iPod

A first time poster on this informative forum, hi to all ;]

Like 9 out of 10 of us, I also got the bad cd player so going to install the pa15-nis and use it with a sanDisk clip+ mp3 player connected by the aux input. Don't have an ipod so will only be using the sandisk but somewhat confused about the proper DIP configuration and the procedure to set up the whole thing after installing the pa15-nis. The manual speaks of folder, direct, and playlist modes but that seems to be for ipod users. I am guessing that for DIP, #1 should be on and the rest doesn't matter since i don't use an ipod. And I was thinking of doing the "folder" mode but without an ipod I don't know if I can even do this. Can I use the radio to control the tracks, artists, albums, etc, with only an mp3 player and no ipod? And which procedure should be used in this case? That is, with an ipod the manual says to follow a procedure to set up a particular mode... I am hoping that none of this is needed for a non-ipod mp3 player like mine. Any feedback on these two issues would be great since this is a bit confusing! Hoping that somebody has also installed pa15-nis or pa15-inf and using only an aux MP3 device without an Ipod.

Last edited by evenehad; 04-09-2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by evenehad
A first time poster on this informative forum, hi to all ;]

Like 9 out of 10 of us, I also got the bad cd player so going to install the pa15-nis and use it with a sanDisk clip+ mp3 player connected by the aux input. Don't have an ipod so will only be using the sandisk but somewhat confused about the proper DIP configuration and the procedure to set up the whole thing after installing the pa15-nis. The manual speaks of folder, direct, and playlist modes but that seems to be for ipod users. I am guessing that for DIP, #1 should be on and the rest doesn't matter since i don't use an ipod. And I was thinking of doing the "folder" mode but without an ipod I don't know if I can even do this. Can I use the radio to control the tracks, artists, albums, etc, with only an mp3 player and no ipod? And which procedure should be used in this case? That is, with an ipod the manual says to follow a procedure to set up a particular mode... I am hoping that none of this is needed for a non-ipod mp3 player like mine. Any feedback on these two issues would be great since this is a bit confusing! Hoping that somebody has also installed pa15-nis or pa15-inf and using only an aux MP3 device without an Ipod.
Set DIP switch #1 on the side of the interface adapter to ON position. Pressing Preset #6 on the factory radio when the PA15-NIS adapter is the audio source will switch to the RCA inputs.

No, the radio won't control anything that is just plugged in as an AUX input, you must control all audio functions (besides volume) from the device that's connected to the RCA inputs on the PA15-NIS. Because of this, I recommend purchasing an old iPod classic to connect to the PA15-NIS so that you have more control of it through the radio and steering wheel controls, which is a MUCH safer option. You can probably find an old, broken-screen iPod for dirt cheap on eBay or in a friend's junk drawer.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks for your reply Wrathernaut! Unfortunately I am biased against ipods in general so for now will just have to use the playlist option on clip+ and operate it on red lights. Although I may barrow your idea and buy a used ipod since it's clearly FAR more convenient using radio controls than a tiny clip+ not to speak of safety issues! Thanks again!

Last edited by evenehad; 04-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thanks for your reply Wrathernaut! Unfortunately I am biased against ipods in general so for now will just have to use the playlist option on clip+ and operate it on red lights. Although I may barrow your idea and buy a used ipod since it's clearly FAR more convenient using radio controls than a tiny clip+ not to speak of safety issues! Thnaks again!
Biases aside, buy one for about $100 or less, put the thing in a glove box and forget what it is. That's what I do. Older models can be loaded up with non-iTunes software too. I used MediaMonkey on my old one.

If somebody made a mass storage device that emulated iPod protocols for compatibility with all the iPod accessories out there, I'd buy one in a minute.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Ha! So it seems I am not alone anti-ipod (there will soon be a whole internet movement against them) ;] Although as long as it's not a new one, it's shouldn't be a huge problem - I just don't want to give money directly to the producer for this overpriced, over-advertised product (though it being "overpriced" is my own personal opinion). I love the simple, unpretentious clip+ which is loaded with many great options, but it doesn't provide one function i need in the car; so used ipod will have to do for now until someone comes up with something new.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ha! So it seems I am not alone anti-ipod (there will soon be a whole internet movement against them) ;] Although as long as it's not a new one, it's shouldn't be a huge problem - I just don't want to give money directly to the producer for this overpriced, over-advertised product (though it being "overpriced" is my own personal opinion). I love the simple, unpretentious clip+ which is loaded with many great options, but it doesn't provide one function i need in the car; so used ipod will have to do for now until someone comes up with something new.
Especially since it's accessed through the factory radio, nobody needs to know there's an iPod in there. I won't tell.