Sway Bar Summary!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the sways over a year ago I don't have any issues with it what so ever. The first time I installed it I had it at the stiffest settings both front and back and that was a big mistake. The push (understeer) was so bad it was scary I almost drove off the rode a couple of times while testing it. I had to back off drove home with rattled nerves. I adjusted it to soft, medium and that setup was 10 times better. Been playing around with my settings for a year trying different settings just to see the difference. I find that the best setting for me was the soft, medium combo. Anyways, here are a few pics of the sways before and after the intall.

Attached Thumbnails Sway Bar Summary!-im000197.jpg   Sway Bar Summary!-im000198.jpg   Sway Bar Summary!-im000199.jpg   Sway Bar Summary!-im000200.jpg   Sway Bar Summary!-im000201.jpg  

Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cusco

+1 for cusco but I regret about using the OEM brushing.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
You would only want to set sway bars to full stiff after having actually ran and tested medium or soft settings first. Also you must consider that one end of the car might need to be set differently, you do not HAVE to make the bar's the same front to rear. If the Stillen's give out the stiffness level's they claim, going full stiff may be hindering the suspension's ability act independently. Sway bar's should be used to fine tune your car. Use then to tune to your setup, your driving style and your abilities. If you went straight to full stiff, you've likely passed up setting that might not only make the car drive better, but carry more speed because the tire contact patches are applied more evenly.

Very well said. Bravo.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Stillen!

Installed Stillen last week and they are great. setup:Med/Med

Old 07-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Haven't done this on the G yet but have on previous cars. Just wanted to point out a less expensive option that does yield noticable/respectable results (especially for the price). That is to just replace the bushings on the OEM bars with Poly bushings. No, of course it is not as good as new sway bars but you'll be surprised at how much difference it makes. Always be sure to slather whatever bushings you use with grease!!

The bars I have used before made far more of a difference than springs or shocks I used. Looking forward to this upgrade on the G!

Nate

Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by natewood
Haven't done this on the G yet but have on previous cars. Just wanted to point out a less expensive option that does yield noticable/respectable results (especially for the price). That is to just replace the bushings on the OEM bars with Poly bushings. No, of course it is not as good as new sway bars but you'll be surprised at how much difference it makes. Always be sure to slather whatever bushings you use with grease!!

The bars I have used before made far more of a difference than springs or shocks I used. Looking forward to this upgrade on the G!

Nate
Poly sway bushings on the oem bars will of course offer better responce, but they will not allow you to change the behavior of the car or to effect roll control which is the real point in what adjustable bars offer for this platform.

Since I see that your sig say's you have a G35X, I'll point out that your car has a totally different front sway bar and no one makes one in the aftermarket. This may or may not mean Prothane's poly bushings fit.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Like I said, it is not a sway bar modification (wasn't contending the point). I was just providing 2 cents for those interested in a less expensive mod that does see benefit. For around $40 you can have a difference and to some it may be enough.

Yeah, I know the X doesn't have a sway bar kit yet. I noticed that all 5 dealerships here in the Boston area barely have any 05 Sedan's on their lots that are NOT the X. (Likewise did some searches around Miami's dealerships and found the opposite). I'm hoping that the X market is growing loud enough in 05 that mods not currently available become so soon.

Anybody know what the sales breakdown is for sedans between X and non-X this year?

Nate

Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll offer that the oem sway bar bushings are not as soft as the oem bushings you've run into before. I've had both the prothane and the oem bushing in hand, yes the Prothane's are better, but the differance is not that much.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I'll offer that the oem sway bar bushings are not as soft as the oem bushings you've run into before. I've had both the prothane and the oem bushing in hand, yes the Prothane's are better, but the differance is not that much.

I agree... thus why Im still running the stock bushings.
the difference between factory and poly is going to be minimal...
like won't even be detectable on a stock system.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a set of Stillen bars from a member who was selling his G35 and parts separately. My competition tires and wheels just came in too, so I will be having some fun in the next few weeks!

Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned
Great post!! I have decided to go with the Stillens and also order the polyuretahne bushings. I will update with you guys once I get them. Reasons for getting the Stillens is becasue they have the collars welded on. I was looking at Hotckis for a while but I don't like the idea of having to buy collars and ever worry about them loosening up. The Uretahne bushings for the Stillens are just soemthing I'd like to know that I have done the best, thorough install that I can.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 AM
National G Club
Wow, this is a great thread. I was planning on doing sways as one of my next mods. Thanks for all the great info!

Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoG35
Great post!! I have decided to go with the Stillens and also order the polyuretahne bushings. I will update with you guys once I get them. Reasons for getting the Stillens is becasue they have the collars welded on. I was looking at Hotckis for a while but I don't like the idea of having to buy collars and ever worry about them loosening up. The Uretahne bushings for the Stillens are just soemthing I'd like to know that I have done the best, thorough install that I can.
+1 I think I am going to do the same!

Great thread!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm planning on keeping the stock rubber bushings and replace them with PE once they crack/crumble.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
I'm planning on keeping the stock rubber bushings and replace them with PE once they crack/crumble.
Since you mention craking an crumbling, do the aftermarket polyuethane bushings ever wear out? I know we use them because they are better than the stock rubber ones but how much longer do they last.

Additionally in reguards to the Stillens, I haven't ordered yet and I am wondering where I can get them the cheapest. thanks

Last edited by DannoG35; 08-03-2005 at 03:57 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Summary!