Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Confused on solutions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confused on solutions

Hey everyone,
I've recently purchased a black 06 sedan. The dealership did a pretty good job of concealing a good amount of scratches and swirls on the car and I have a few questions on what I can do. I'll post some pics when I get out of work if needed and I've done a search, but don't have access to a power buffer etc by this weekend when I'd like to work on this.

1) Swirl marks on the hood, not really all that bad. I've been looking at Meg Swirl x for these.

2) Spider cracks near the bottom front fender. I was going to work my way up from Swirl x to Scratch x. I'm hesitant to use compound as I really haven't gone into paint work before and would hate to screw up.

3) Deep scratches in various spots. I was hoping to try Scratch x and if that doesn't work I'll use a Turtle Wax scratch repair kit that comes with a clear coat pen.

4) Is there really an advantage to use wax made for a black car over regular wax?

5) I don't understand how I wont screw the clear coat up if I use an abrasive compound. Can I restore the clear somehow or just keep it waxed?

6) Is a clay kit necessary? My truck is very bumpy and I've been looking into this as an option.

Any feedback appreciated. I'm not worried all that much about it and won't be having it professionally done anytime soon. I figured it's a fun project and good skills to have!

Thanks!

Please let me know if I'm on the right track. I've waxed the car every weekend since I've gotten it and it just looks super sharp when finished.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Find a good detailer. dont attempt it yourself without researching how to buff. Also who ever u decide to let do it, let them do only the truck or roof. wash it two- three times and see how good of a job they really did before u come back to get the whole car done.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
Find a good detailer. dont attempt it yourself without researching how to buff. Also who ever u decide to let do it, let them do only the truck or roof. wash it two- three times and see how good of a job they really did before u come back to get the whole car done.
So don't even try to fix a single scratch you're saying?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
U can possibly add more swirls with scratch x. Guess u could Practice a small spot. Im in the same boat. Ive been researching for weeks not much help comes into the detailing section here.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
U can possibly add more swirls with scratch x. Guess u could Practice a small spot. Im in the same boat. Ive been researching for weeks not much help comes into the detailing section here.
Ok I see what you mean. I've just been watching different videos online. (Have to do something while I'm at work haha) The products generally look pretty user friendly and I'll see what I can do on a really small spot that's out of the way.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/wococarca.html

Swirl with orange pad.
Polish with white pad.
Then wax.