Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Timing chain noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain noise

So I recently had my car towed into the shop(05 coupe) because my clutch went bad. Before this I has my car shut off and lights went on, code read camshaft position sensor, I have then ordered.. anyway, while in the shop they said they heard timing chain noise, any chance the lights went on because the timing chain tensioner is loose or something of the sort. I work at the shop so I get a discounted rate but they still told me to expect 1500 for the timing chain issues..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response...

If you knew the exact code, we would be able to find out if it could be caused by the chain. If it was the usual 340 code, than no, it was most likely just a sensor failure.

$1500 for replacing the chain and guides does not seem like a discounted price and what I would expect at a dealer and such. If you do end up doing the job, don't forget the water pump, thermostat, and drive belts while you are there..

Old 08-28-2015, 07:02 PM
So im new to the whole forum thing and havent figured out how to start a new thread but im in the process of replacing my timing chain on my 04 g35 sedan 6mt rev up...per alldata and mitchells i see there are a few o rings and seals that are supposed to be replaced upon disassembly, but these orings and such were not included in the chain kit that i bought...anyone know where i can find these seals at?? Any info is greatly appreciated on starting a new thread as well lol...technology isnt really my thing

Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteezyyG
So im new to the whole forum thing and havent figured out how to start a new thread but im in the process of replacing my timing chain on my 04 g35 sedan 6mt rev up...per alldata and mitchells i see there are a few o rings and seals that are supposed to be replaced upon disassembly, but these orings and such were not included in the chain kit that i bought...anyone know where i can find these seals at?? Any info is greatly appreciated on starting a new thread as well lol...technology isnt really my thing
Go to the area you want to post in and find blue button that says "new thread."

Old 08-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by knightro g35
Thanks man...hopefully i can start a thread for this question and have someone whos had this issue see it. Ive got to replace my vvt cam sprocket as well so hopefully by the time i get that part in someone will have some info for me. If not ill be hitting up napa and buying a oring set and hope i can get what i need from that

Old 08-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by knightro g35
Well maybe not. I found the new thread link but it says my profile isnt allowed to post a new thread due to some administrative setting or something. Screw it. Im going to infiniti dealership today to see about this sprocket anyways i guess i could just talk to a tech there and see what they say about those o rings...thanks again anyways tho

Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by SteezyyG
Well maybe not. I found the new thread link but it says my profile isnt allowed to post a new thread due to some administrative setting or something. Screw it. Im going to infiniti dealership today to see about this sprocket anyways i guess i could just talk to a tech there and see what they say about those o rings...thanks again anyways tho
The cover o-rings can be had at the dealer, I use Nissan. If you're talking about those sprocket covers, I was in the same boat. The tech actually told me they don't replace those orings at all. As long as they are sound you can probably use them again. I think you need to actually buy new sprocket covers to get those orings.